That being said, I think he should absolutely be penalized.

I agree with you that he should be penalized, but according to the rules he shouldn't be so he is ok.

I've had swings were as soon as I start my downswing I knew it was going to be a bad shot and tried to fix it, my guess is he knew it and is good enough to pull back on the shot

No whiff and no penalty. It was ugly for sure but in the end he did not try to hit the ball.

He took practice swings before this did he not? So why did he line up to the ball, check with a waggle, then start a "practice" swing? In my opinion he had every intent of hitting that ball but maybe you can make the argument that he "pulled up" and even if he that is the case it is still a stroke because the club crossed the spot where it would have impacted the ball.

He took practice swings before this did he not? So why did he line up to the ball, check with a waggle, then start a "practice" swing? In my opinion he had every intent of hitting that ball but maybe you can make the argument that he "pulled up" and even if he that is the case it is still a stroke because the club crossed the spot where it would have impacted the ball.

I fail to see where that ever comes into play in the Rules of Golf.

Also, has anyone seen Paddys routine from earlier this year? Practice, practice, address. Lift up putter, practice over ball, practice over ball. Based on your logic, Paddy shouldve been penalized every time he went to make a putt.

I agree with you in principle but as it was stated many many times on the golf channel, if in your downswing you make the decision to not hit the ball and purposely miss then it is not a stroke. Its no different then when Tiger Woods has stopped his down swing half way down which most mortal men cannot do.

Again, I agree that it should be considered a stroke and not allowed, but according to the rules of golf it is not.

I fail to see where that ever comes into play in the Rules of Golf.

Also, has anyone seen Paddys routine from earlier this year? Practice, practice, address. Lift up putter, practice over ball, practice over ball. Based on your logic, Paddy shouldve been penalized every time he went to make a putt.

The definition of "stroke" from the USGA Rules of Golf is this:
"A 'stroke' is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of fairly striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he is deemed not to have made a stroke."

I do the same thing on the greens with my putter but its over the ball and obviously not with the intent of hitting it.

"A 'stroke' is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of fairly striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he is deemed not to have made a stroke."

I do the same thing on the greens with my putter but its over the ball and obviously not with the intent of hitting it.

But he was not intending to hit the ball, he missed on purpose, so he was did not have "the intention of fairly striking at and moving the ball" so it was not a stroke.

You can't really think he wiffed do you? He's a douche, but a professional golfer, he won't wiff on a drive.

Exactly. So its not a stroke. Your reasoning before had nothing to do with the post you just made. A stroke is a stroke in the game of golf. There is no "obviously no intent". You either make the stroke, or you dont. Putters and drivers are considered one thing in the rulebook: a golf club.

I think he whiffed it, and I laughed when he did

Regardless of whether he should have a penalty assessed or not, what if he actually did whiff? How absurd would that be? He's a pro, so to think that he actually missed the ball is absurd. If he actually did, I don't even know what to do. Laugh? Cry? Celebrate?

Hilarious. Thanks for the video link. I thought it was a whiff especially when compared against the actual swing afterwards. Virtually identical except he made contact the second time (very poorly I may add).

Not saying it is a whiff per the rules that we play by but I think if you could get him to honestly answer - he would say it was a whiff.

Tappin' from my iPad!

But he was not intending to hit the ball, he missed on purpose, so he was did not have "the intention of fairly striking at and moving the ball" so it was not a stroke.

You can't really think he wiffed do you? He's a douche, but a professional golfer, he won't wiff on a drive.

He whiffed :p...most likely it was intentional...but according to the rules of the stroke because he followed through its a stroke. You cant tell me that when he lined up to that ball he didnt have the intent of hitting the ball. He wanted to hit it but took a bad swing.

Exactly. So its not a stroke. Your reasoning before had nothing to do with the post you just made. A stroke is a stroke in the game of golf. There is no "obviously no intent". You either make the stroke, or you dont. Putters and drivers are considered one thing in the rulebook: a golf club.

When I do that with the putter it is always above the ball and never addressing it. There is absolutely no intent to hit the ball because I havent addressed it.

i saw it today looked like a whiff to me. i was pissing my pants laughing at it.

He whiffed :p...most likely it was intentional...but according to the rules of the stroke because he followed through its a stroke. You cant tell me that when he lined up to that ball he didnt have the intent of hitting the ball. He wanted to hit it but took a bad swing.

Wrong. Becuase he didnt have intent, it wasnt deemed a stroke. Prove intent, and youll prove that he shouldve been penalized. Until then, you have no reasoning.

Wrong. Becuase he didnt have intent, it wasnt deemed a stroke. Prove intent, and youll prove that he shouldve been penalized. Until then, you have no reasoning.

I guess the real question is...when does intent actually start? Kind of interesting to think about since I dont think anyone has ever done this before on tour. Either way its his word that he meant to do that nothing you can do about it.

But no where in the rule you posted or in the rules of golf say that if you follow though that its a stroke, that might be how you think of it, but thats not the rule. He lined up to the ball with the purpose of hitting the ball, but then in his downswing he tried to "NOT HIT IT" therefore his intention was not to make a golf swing and therefore it is not a stroke. The fact that he followed through does not matter anymore than stopping your swing on the downswing like TW. Even with a bad swing he would have hit the ball. He discussed this fact with the rules officials before the round, and the officials even looked at the swing in the video trailer and said it was not a swing.

Exactly. Which is why, by the Rules of Golf, he is not deemed to have broken a rule.
I guess the real question is...when does intent actually start? Kind of interesting to think about since I dont think anyone has ever done this before on tour. Either way its his word that he meant to do that nothing you can do about it.

Exactly. Which is why, by the Rules of Golf, he is not deemed to have broken a rule.

Yup...but at least we had a decent discussion about it. Either way Kevin Na is right up there with Daly as one of the biggest jokes in golf.

Yup...but at least we had a decent discussion about it. Either way Kevin Na is right up there with Daly as one of the biggest jokes in golf.

I agree with that statement, I wish he did wiff.

I agree with that statement, I wish he did wiff.

He probably did but he will never admit it. Still looked like an idiot and made it on youtube in about 2 minutes.

You can tell he pulled out of the swing, no way that was a whiff, a PGA Tour caliber player does not whiff the ball IMO

After watching Na today and in previous tournaments, I absolutely believe he could swing and miss. The guy is a head case, and someone in this thread said he did the same thing earlier this year. He also did on the 6th hole today but with an iron, that one was more obvious though that he wasn't intending to hit the ball.

Any guesses where he finishes tomorrow? I say 4th or worse. :)

He whiffed bigtime. His 2nd swing was the same and he sprayed that ball. He was nervous, big dummy!

Not a whif but that sure was bizarre.

Back