Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

And if anything, hopefully you walk away with some confidence out of the longer irons. They sure are nice to be able to hit when you need to.

With the winds today, an iron of the tee was clutch. When I hit driver on the back 9 and was pushing it, I was thinking that I should have just stuck with the 4iron as I would have been in better position. I really love the V2 4 Iron off the tee.

Pretty wild dude. Great write up of the round too! It seems like you are hitting these better and better as you go. For me, the number one miss that hurts the most is the fatty and I think minimizing it really brings these irons to life. I haven't found them as unforgiving on heel and toe shots as they are when you miss fat and the ball is high on the face.

What a great score! I'm not playing 100% irons next time, but I'm going to use them more when I need to.

I had a really fun short game session in 10-20mph head winds today that I'll write about later. Hit about 100 balls from 100 yards and really learned some things about how these perform in the wind.

Testing Date: 10/8/2011
Short game practice area and driving range
Conditions: 80° and 15-22 mph winds

100 yards

I've talked a little about my secret short game area. It's a 130-ish yard stretch of unused fairway with a very small green. It's mowed like the rest of the course, so it's just an awesome place to practice. Today the winds were howling. Gusts over 20mph that were coming right at my face. I figured it would be the perfect time to practice some different shot from 100 yards with the V2's.

Note: I actually bought a small bucket of range balls for this. I figured it would be easier to hit 35 at time rather than the 15 shag balls I have right now. I don't know how that affected my results, but I'm sure it had some sort of effect.

*PW
Typically this would be my 110-ish club, though I've hit it shorter and farther. I decided to start with it from 100 yards due to the wind. My shots were just getting beat down and were either just short of the practice green or on the very front. Basically, the wind was taking about 20 yards off my shots. I would have hit a 'real' sized green with most of them, but they were well short of the pin.

*9 iron
This was the club that made it to the pin with a full shot for me. I hit it pretty high and I could just see it dive downwards when it got above the trees. I tend to put some draw spin on the ball with my short irons, so that was magnified a bit. I missed a couple to the left by a yard or two, but hit my yardage really consistently with it. I had to aim a bit to the right of my target. Again, I lost about 20 yards on full shots.

*8 iron
Since the knock-down shot seems to be popular, I figured I'd work on it. This would be the situation I'd expect to use it. My knock-down is basically the same as a punch shot in that I open my stance a tiny bit, put the ball back, and take a 1/2 to 3/4 swing with an aggressive move to the ball.

You can keep these irons low with this method. It's amazingly easy, in fact. The only problem I had was that I could still see the wind affecting the shot a bit and I was just a little short with the 8 iron. I think a larger green would have been a little more telling as to how close I could get. This green is tiny-tiny. I think the 8 actually would have been good here.

*7 iron
Since I was a little short with the 8 iron on knockdowns, I figured I'd try the 7 iron. This was a really good shot for me. I was able to keep the ball very low (for a 7 iron) and stop it right at the distance I was looking for. The wind still affected this shot, though not nearly as much as a full shot. When I say low, I'm talking in the range of 20 feet high max.

I also wanted to try another thing with this club. Choking WAY down and hitting a full shot. The hope would be the lower loft would cut through the wind a bit better. I choked down a good 4 inches and swung hard and was surprised to see a mid-high ball that really cut through the wind and landed pin high. Interesting!

Thoughts:

-My only concern with the knockdown is that it can bring the shank into play if I'm not careful.
-I hit the green with 4 clubs and 3 different types of shots.
-I like the full 9 iron the best.

More to come

Pretty wild dude. Great write up of the round too! It seems like you are hitting these better and better as you go. For me, the number one miss that hurts the most is the fatty and I think minimizing it really brings these irons to life. I haven't found them as unforgiving on heel and toe shots as they are when you miss fat and the ball is high on the face.

What a great score! I'm not playing 100% irons next time, but I'm going to use them more when I need to.

I had a really fun short game session in 10-20mph head winds today that I'll write about later. Hit about 100 balls from 100 yards and really learned some things about how these perform in the wind.

It seems that the more I get adjusted to these irons, the better I hit them. My biggest miss with these is still hitting the ball fat, but if I continue to focus on a bit in front of the ball, my ball striking seems to get much better. When I avoid hitting behind the ball, I can really pull of some nice shots. As far as being forgiving on the heel/toe, they are not for me at all. If miss the middle of the face, the results are poor.

Hawk, I will agree with you on the punch shots. It seems to come easy with the V2s, a quick sharp swing with a long iron makes for a very nice punch shot. I had to use that shot a couple times today because of the wind, and had success with it.

Also, you were 100% right. Hitting the e6 with the V2s felt great, I liked how that ball felt off the club face of these irons.

Nice write up Hawk. I wish I had a short game area like that! I really liked that you started with a club that "should" get there (w/o wind) and moved up until you got the right club for the shot. This is doable at a range, but with a FW lie, and a green to hit to you can get a better understanding. Do you think the sharper leading edge is what can bring a shank into play with the knockdowns? I have had a few shanks when practicing knockdowns with the Nikes and assumed the leading edge was part of it. That and I don't practice that shot often enough. Also, were you able to see how the ball was reacting when it hit the green? I know you were playing range balls, but were they releasing more or less than your normal shots? Keep up the good work guys.

It seems that the more I get adjusted to these irons, the better I hit them. My biggest miss with these is still hitting the ball fat, but if I continue to focus on a bit in front of the ball, my ball striking seems to get much better. When I avoid hitting behind the ball, I can really pull of some nice shots. As far as being forgiving on the heel/toe, they are not for me at all. If miss the middle of the face, the results are poor.

I would agree with that in that the ball doesn't go as far as I want it to at all. I would just say that my fat miss is worse.

Nice write up Hawk. I wish I had a short game area like that! I really liked that you started with a club that "should" get there (w/o wind) and moved up until you got the right club for the shot. This is doable at a range, but with a FW lie, and a green to hit to you can get a better understanding. Do you think the sharper leading edge is what can bring a shank into play with the knockdowns? I have had a few shanks when practicing knockdowns with the Nikes and assumed the leading edge was part of it. That and I don't practice that shot often enough. Also, were you able to see how the ball was reacting when it hit the green? I know you were playing range balls, but were they releasing more or less than your normal shots? Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks JC!

1) I actually grabbed a club that should have been long, but was still short! It was really blowing.

2) I don't think it has anything to do with that for me. I shank when I take partial shots and have an inside takeaway. Inside takeaway on partial shot = guaranteed shanker hehe.

3) The green is tiny and they were all holding it if I hit it. It seemed to be plenty spinny, even with range balls. I would say more release than a full, high shot for sure, but nothing extreme or hard to work with.

So they're coming out with Ci11's? Wow! Can't wait to see those.

I still think these V2's are the best looking irons on the planet.

I agree with you on the V2's looks, they are sweeeet. Ci11's look nice too. I'll post some pics in a different thread soon if you like?

Hawk, great write up and good for you for putting some time in on the short game area. That's where you'll break hearts at the MC bro. I also bring the hosel into play when I try the knock down. For me, it's b/c I get quick through the ball and I lift my head and body out of the shot. You really have to force yourself to stay down and through the ball. Keep working on flighting the ball though b/c I think an iron like these excel at shots like that.

Got to play two rounds this weekend, both in ridiculous winds and today in slight rain. And now for some random thoughts;

* Love the 4 and 5 iron off the tee. Seeing good distance, and a very nice ball flight. 4 iron is a little higher than a line drive. I seem to get the 5 iron up in the air a good bit better than the 4.
* I am definitely making better contact with the ball now. Focusing on hitting the ball first then ground has helped me tremendously with the V2s.
* Short Irons - definitely becoming my favorite clubs in the bag. If I can get to within 150 yards, I am fairly confident that I can hit the green.
* PW - Very good club to use when chipping from the rough or a thick lie. The leading edge of the club cuts through the thick grass fairly easy and allows for good contact to be made.
* Still feel that with the V2s, a smooth swing is needed for best results. If my swing is off, so are the results. When focusing on making smooth, solid contact rather than trying to kill or "muscle" up on a shot, the results are great.
* A well hit shot with the V2s are a thing of beauty. The feel, the sound, the ball flight. It really is hard to beat the feel of these irons when you have a well struck shot.
* I am getting better with the distance control side of the V2s. I attribute this to me making better contact with the ball. I have pulled off some great shots by taking an extra club and going with a 3/4 swing.

Great misc. thoughts w.e. I like how you talked about seeing good results with a smooth swing, and that it is actually needed for good results. I am seeing similar results with the Nike's. I enjoy it. Good shots can be pulled off with "muscling up" but a nice smooth swing gives me excellent results. I still think these are some amazing looking clubs and I need to hit them sometime.

Great stuff w.e. and I agree with Jeff also. I actually mentioned that earlier this morning in a write up I did for the Nike irons regarding nor muscling it and just going to a longer club with an easier swing. Very similar thoughts to you also regarding being within 150 and really loving the short irons.

Amazing how similar our thoughts are across the board with 2 really different sets of GE irons.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great misc. thoughts w.e. I like how you talked about seeing good results with a smooth swing, and that it is actually needed for good results. I am seeing similar results with the Nike's. I enjoy it. Good shots can be pulled off with "muscling up" but a nice smooth swing gives me excellent results. I still think these are some amazing looking clubs and I need to hit them sometime.
They are good looking clubs. When I first got them, I wondered how they would look down the road after some wear and tear and being in the bag. A quick cleaning with a towel after a round and they are back to perfect!

Great stuff w.e. and I agree with Jeff also. I actually mentioned that earlier this morning in a write up I did for the Nike irons regarding nor muscling it and just going to a longer club with an easier swing. Very similar thoughts to you also regarding being within 150 and really loving the short irons.

Amazing how similar our thoughts are across the board with 2 really different sets of GE irons.

Tappin' from my iPad!
It has been interesting to see the results we have had with the V2s compared to the results you all are having with the Nike PCs. Clubbing up is something that I have had to learn with moving from a GI to a GE iron. In the past, I would just hit the ball harder and go for it. With the V2s I am more likely to club up and put a nice stroke on the ball to get what I want. I really like the scoring irons in this set, they just feel great.

Test Date: October 9, 2011
Conditions: 55* and 10-15 MPH winds
Ball Used: Bridgestone B330 RX
Focus: Irons Only – No Driver, Fairways, or Hybrids
Test Clubs: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 (KBS tour shafts)

Got 9 holes in just before it started raining this morning. Course was damp and there was little to no roll out on most shots so the distances were almost all carry.

Hole 1: This is an intimidating hole to start this experiment on, as it is 475 Yards Par 5 uphill with a blind green that isn’t visible until about 120 yards out. Hit the 3 iron off the tee but had the tee a bit high and struck it high on the face. Ball went up in the air and I only got about 150 yards. 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot was another 3 iron. This time a got it out towards the toe and it went 175 yards. This left me 150 to the center of the green and a blind 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] shot. Hit a well struck 7 iron right on target. Got up to the green and found it had rolled off the back of the green. Chip and 2 putts for a 6.
Score: +1

Hole 2: 345 Yard Par 4, simple and straight with a small green. 3 Iron off the tee went 215 yards leaving 130 yard second shot. I didn’t learn my lesson on the first hole and pulled out the 9 iron. Another well struck shot and another one that rolled off the back of the green. Up and down to save par.

Hole 3: 322 Yard Par 4, similar to Hole 2 but up hill a bit. 3 iron 180 leaving about 140 for the approach shot. I hit this one off the toe again leaving it short and a bit right. Up and down to save par again.

Hole 4: 198 Yard Par 3, this is my favorite hole for my Mashie and was nervous on the tee box to have my TM3 with me. Hit the 3 iron and was pin high but right of the green. Chip and 2 putts for a bogey.
Score: +2

Hole 5: 471 Yard Par 5, huge dogleg left with water at the corner. If you want to cut the corner you need to make sure and carry 200 yards. I was not comfortable trying this at this point so I hit a safe 5 iron to the right of the water hazard. I got it off the toe coming about a club short of where I expected it to land but in good position. 300 yards out from the pin for my second shot. I pulled out the 3 iron to set up my next shot at 100 yards. As planned I hit the 3-iron well and sat at 105 for my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] shot. I would normally hit my 51* in the situation but the wind was in my face and wanted to hit the PW anyway. I took an Ernie Els type smooth swing and slowed down my tempo a bit as well, landed it about pin high on the right side of the green. 2 Putt for par.

Hole 6: 393 Yard Par 4, down hill. Hit the 3 iron off the tee about 200 yards plus about 20 ft of rollout. This left 180 to the green. Pulled out the 4 iron and although I thought I hit it well it was right of the green and the wind took it a bit further right. It got the cart path and landed on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] tee box. This left me an awkward 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] shot about 25 yards from the pin but I had to keep the shot low to avoid some branches. Used the PW and choked down for a little bump and run. Got it w/ in 8 feet and made the putt to save par.

Hole 7: 153 Yard Par 3. Took a little too much club with the 7 iron and rolled it off the back edge. Poor chip and 2 putts cost me a stroke.
Score: +3

Hole 8: 292 Yard Par 4. Thinking ahead I wanted a 200 yard shot to leave me with 100 yards. The fairway is narrow so I have been using my 3 wood on this hole normally leaving me an awkward distance of 50-75 yards. I almost always bogey what should be a birdie friendly hole that way. This time I hit the 3 iron 200 leaving the 100 yards to the pin. Wanted to try and duplicate the easy PW shot at 100 yards. With the “extra” club I felt very confident to swing smooth and fire at the flag. I ended up pin high and just off the green on the right side. Ugly chip and 2 putts for a bogey
Score +4

Hole 9: 380 Yard Par 4 down hill. 210 Yard 3 iron leaving 170 for the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot. Hit one of my best shots all day with the 5 iron. This was a piercing line drive mid trajectory rocket that landed on the front part of the green bounced and then rolled out about 2/3 of the way to the back of the green. Lipped out a 10 footer to finish with a par.
Score +4 80

Thoughts for the day: This ties my personal best for this course. With that said I feel like I left a few shots out there today. I was seeing two major issues; I was missing right and getting it off the toe too often. I think this is a direct result of fitting. My specs are 2* up and ½” long normally and I think these changes should find me on target and in the middle of the clubface more often. It was nice having a clear shot to the green each time and not having any penalty strokes.

Club Selection/Set Make-up: Today’s performance has me thinking about adding a long iron or two back in the bag and taking out a wedge. Distance accuracy was very good with the long irons and I was 7/7 hitting the fairway. With my hybrids get similar distance and a higher trajectory but it is harder to know exactly how far the ball will go each time and can find myself off the fairway with the occasional snap hook. The consistency and flexibility of a long iron is intriguing. At the other end of the bag the flexibility of the PW to hit full shots, take a little off, bump and run, etc. makes me think I could do without my 51* and be fine.

Feel: Well struck shots have this nice sharp “click” to them while the shots I got off the toe are muted and “ugly” sounding.

Turf Interaction/Trajectory: The back was feeling great today and I was getting ball first almost every time. I was also hitting down on the ball a bit better than usual and say the ball flight come down a bit. I was hitting them mid high today vs. the mid/high I had been seeing before and I think this more penetrating ball flight is why I was long on so many approach shots today.

Overall: I would recommend playing a round like this to anyone testing a club or just wanting to get better. Before this round I would tell you I can’t hit a long iron and I can’t hit any iron well off the tee. After 9 holes I have a bunch of confidence that I can do both of those thing and more importantly that I can do this consistently.

Lot of catching up to do. I'm enjoying the thoughts guys!

Howzat, I've been noticing some more toe shots on the long irons now that I'm using them and I'm curious about getting the lie angles looked at as well. I'm totally carrying the long irons too. I'm really comfortable with them. I miss hit them at times, but I do that with everything I swing. They are a nice tool to have in the bag.

My golfing was sort of odd this weekend. I played a total of 21 holes, 9 of which were on an executive length course where I just used the irons, I did the short game practice, and I hit some balls on the range. I'll have some thorough thoughts tomorrow, but a couple interesting things.

- I played three par fives on a full size course - teed off with an iron on each one and ended up 1 over on them. That's really good for me as par 5's are my usually where I struggle the most.

- This has been really good for my iron game. So much focus on irons has me more confident and hitting the ball pretty well right now. I like that.

- There are two flags that I used to use as my targets for my Redline 8 iron (140 yards lasered). I was hitting it with the V2's yesterday with beautiful high shots. I was swinging hard and really good at the time, which I suspect I'll struggle to replicate on the course, but I really think this testing has been a great thing for my iron swing.

- Out of the 12 holes I played on a full size course this weekend, I overshot the green three times. That's frustrating, but a good sign that I'm hitting the ball better as well.

Lot of catching up to do. I'm enjoying the thoughts guys!

Howzat, I've been noticing some more toe shots on the long irons now that I'm using them and I'm curious about getting the lie angles looked at as well. I'm totally carrying the long irons too. I'm really comfortable with them. I miss hit them at times, but I do that with everything I swing. They are a nice tool to have in the bag.

My golfing was sort of odd this weekend. I played a total of 21 holes, 9 of which were on an executive length course where I just used the irons, I did the short game practice, and I hit some balls on the range. I'll have some thorough thoughts tomorrow, but a couple interesting things.

- I played three par fives on a full size course - teed off with an iron on each one and ended up 1 over on them. That's really good for me as par 5's are my usually where I struggle the most.

- This has been really good for my iron game. So much focus on irons has me more confident and hitting the ball pretty well right now. I like that.

- There are two flags that I used to use as my targets for my Redline 8 iron (140 yards lasered). I was hitting it with the V2's yesterday with beautiful high shots. I was swinging hard and really good at the time, which I suspect I'll struggle to replicate on the course, but I really think this testing has been a great thing for my iron swing.

- Out of the 12 holes I played on a full size course this weekend, I overshot the green three times. That's frustrating, but a good sign that I'm hitting the ball better as well.

Yesterday, the last hole I played, #18, is one I have never done better than a bogey on and that is usually a scramble to get a bogey. I went 7iron off the tee (dogleg), 6iron, PW, and was left for about a 10 ft birdie putt. Best I have ever played that hole, and didnt even think of hitting a wood.

And, I agree, this has really helped my iron game, and has taught me a lot about my overall game in general.

Yesterday, the last hole I played, #18, is one I have never done better than a bogey on and that is usually a scramble to get a bogey. I went 7iron off the tee (dogleg), 6iron, PW, and was left for about a 10 ft birdie putt. Best I have ever played that hole, and didnt even think of hitting a wood.

And, I agree, this has really helped my iron game, and has taught me a lot about my overall game in general.

That's very cool. I may have to try this next time I play. You guys are doing a really great job! I really enjoy reading about these irons because I want my next set to be players' irons like these. Maybe they will be these because they are just so good looking!

I suppose I have one thing that I can share really quick. It was windy all weekend. Today, I was playing two balls and was at almost the same exact spot with them both off the tee on one hole. I normally would take a PW from the distance I was (110), but I clubbed up to a nine with one ball. Hit the green almost pin high. In retrospect, I learned yesterday that the wind I was playing in was probably enough to take two clubs off on full shots, but it worked out fine.

For the second ball I tried the 7 iron knockdown and stuck it about 10 feet from the pin. Gripped down and held off my finish with a partial swing. Really low, cut through the wind, and stopped fast. I liked it! It's something I plan to keep working on, but you can really keep the ball low with these if you need to.

Good stuff, Hawk. Glad to see it working for you.

I had no choice but to keep the ball low today, and did so with some good success. If I got anything up too high the wind just threw it around.

I had some crosswind action, that I'll talk about tomorrow as well. One thing is for sure. I'm hitting these high enough now that the wind wreaks havoc if it's in your face.

Testing Date: 10/8/2011
Driving Range - 35 balls
80° with strong crosswinds
3,5, & 8 iron

This was a bonus range session as I wanted to hit the balls I had purchased to use at the short game area. I took a long, mid, and scoring iron just to hit some shots.

3 iron

I seem to hit this one much better off the tee than the hard range turf I was working with. I don't know if it's mental or something else, but I hit the ball off the toe fairly consistently off the turf, but in the center off of a tee. I noticed the toe digging a bit when I was hitting off the ground, which has me wondering if I need to get lie angles looked at or if I'm setting up differently

The ball flight I was seeing on good shots was mid-high and really piercing. Kind of nice slow rise that apexed and dropped. These shots weren't overly affected by the wind. Toe strikes were noticeably lower, shorter, and went right a little.

5 iron

I really like this club. It's easy to hit high and it's pretty accurate for a mid/low iron. I didn't have the issues off the turf with it like I did with the 3 iron. Didn't hit a bad shot with it on Saturday, but that's likely due to the fact that I only hit a few balls with it.

Ball flight with this iron borders on high for well struck shots and it was affect by crosswinds more. I don't know that I've ever hit a 5 iron as high or as confidently as I do this one. Please believe that I'm not saying it's the best or easiest 5 iron out there to hit, but I'm really comfortable with it. I didn't even carry a 5 iron for most of this season and I have no reservations when I need to swing this club.

8 iron

I mentioned this last night, but on Saturday I was hitting the V2 8 iron as far as I used to hit my Reline 8 iron. I know this b/c I have a set of flags that I used for 8 iron practice all summer and I was reaching them. I don't think the V2's are as long as a distance iron in any way, but I do think all this iron practice has really brought out the best in me. I think the distance increase I was seeing Saturday was mixture of luck, a good swing(that sort of goes with luck), and hitting the center of the face. Obviously a combo of things that may be tough to replicate, but it was fun while it lasted :) I still plan on using my 8 iron for the distance I was in the past until it proves otherwise.

I love this club. Possibly my favorite scoring club in the set. It really gets the ball up in a hurry. The wind did push the ball around more than the other two on Saturday, so I just aimed right of my target and let it come back.

Fun range session with no pressure. Maybe that's why I hit the ball better than normal?

-High ball flight with the 5 and 8 irons, and a piercing flight in the 3 iron.
-Saying I can hit a 5 iron haha
-Performance in crosswinds

Dislikes:
-Different results with 3 iron off tee vs off turf.
-Toe shots gave not good results.

Have to love a nice fun range session.

I am glad you are having success with the 3iron. I can not hit it well at all, but I transition very nicely form the 4iron to my Hybrid.

The 5 and the 8 iron are the first two clubs I really did a test with out of the V2s. I liked them on my first range session, and I still think they are my 2 favorites out of this set. I get good distance with the 5, and like you said, really nice height on my shots. The 8 iron is a very common club for me during my round, as I hit it right at 150. 150 yards is the number I have been playing to during my rounds as of late, and the 8iron has done some good work for me.

Glad you had some good range session, nothing better than having a good session to get excited about the direction your game is headed.

Good thoughts Hawk, I like hear that the 5 irons is a club you like, as that is almost always the longest iron I carry. What do you attribute the toe shots to with the 3 iron off the deck?

Hawk really nice writeup! I was shocked about the comparison to the redlines! Im sure this wont happen everytime, but it just shows a good swing with these produces great distance.

Back