Putting Green @ Home

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
A few weeks back someone posted about wanting to build an artificial putting green at home. This sparked my interest and away I went. I found a good deal on a quality piece of putting green turf, and proceeded this weekend to build my baby.

Several years ago I built a paver patio in an unused section of our yard. This was done as cheaply as possible and mainly just to fill a 'dead' space. As the years went by we found that we never used this area. We would keep an outdoor table & chairs there but it was really just for decoration. I decided to use this paver patio as my base for my putting green.

Here is a series of pictures showing how I made it.

This is the old paver patio I started with as the base:
PICT0550.jpg

I added sand to fill in the cracks, compacted it, then added a payer of weed barrier:
PICT0551.jpg

Next I built up the border with 1x4 cedar boards and filled the center with ~1" of sand:
PICT0552.jpg

The sand was then compacted and smoothed and the cup locations were cut out and the cup placed:
PICT0554.jpg

PICT0555.jpg

After this I got so excited that I forgot to take a lot of pictures. From here, the turf was laid on the sand, the edges were staples to the wood border with 2" staples while stretching the turn tight. The holes were cut out and a Trex lumber, (composite decking), border was added.
PICT0553.jpg

PICT0557.jpg

It is rainy today so I will have to wait for a dry day this week to add the infill to the turn to make it pefectly smooth and bring it up top about 10 on the stimp. Even as is, it putts sweet. I am really excited and hopefully this inproved my putting skills a little.

Dude that looks awesome! Good job on the construction.

iOS using Tapatalk

Cool project! I'm sure you'll enjoy that green.

Very cool buddy. What a great idea and a fun little project. Looks great, got any break to it or just mostly straight putts?

Nice job man - that turned out great looking!!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

I have GOT to run this by the backyard commander. I hope she likes it. :bicker:

wow that looks fantastic. But I'm curious as to how the roll is for using that turf(or the cover)

That's so awesome! Nice!

Wow fantastic Job!!!! Way to go!!!

I really, really need to build myself one of these. Nice work, it looks great!

I'm very jealous of this. Nice work!

Very impressive! Doesn't look overly difficult to do, and gives me encouragement to try making my own. Anyone know a good place to get the turf? I'm guessing you won't be changing cup positions?

Awesome putting green! Makes me want to build one myself.

That's a sweet setup!

Looks great! Makes me want to live somewhere that there isn't snow on the ground half the year.

Great work! Wish I had the time to do something like that here at the homestead.

I love that! Thanks for sharing!

That is awesome!

Great work man and thanks for sharing! I need a larger yard so that my wife would let me do that.

Nice project, you'll have to let us know how it works!! Looks great!!

I would love to see some videos of you rolling some putts on it. :D It looks fantastic overall and I'd bet it delivers great performance as well!

That turned out really good. Nice work!

I want one!!! That thing is sweet!

You noted you put 1" of sand, did you gut into the stone to get the depth of cup you needed? And what exactly do you mean by "infill" at the end? great project, very impressive stuff!

Great work!

Back