Which new iron set?

Underpar00

Reaction score
Handicap
So Im looking for something that is a players style iron and Im not sure which to get. I was thinking of the Ping s56 but then I came across the mizuno mp-59 which looks nice, I didnt like the mp-58 though. Looking for suggestions on irons, Ive tried the ap2 but I didnt like it much. Thanks

get a fitting and try them all, that way you can see what works best for you

If you are looking for some options to try:

TM MC's or CB's
Callaway RAZR X Tour or Forged
Adams CB1 or 2
Wilson Staff FG Tour or FG Tour V2
Cleveland Cg16 Tour or 588 CB
Boccieri Heavy Iron

If looking for a players/GE iron, I would also have to make a nod for the Nike VR Pro Combo's. Lot of thought was put into that set. Entire thread here on the forum of reviews on it from low single digit HC's to some 12-14 HC'ers.

yea I really like the ping s56 but I know how good mizunos feel. I dont have a golf store around me to hit them yet so just looking for opinions. I would be all out for the pings but they arent forged and Im so use to that thunk feeling of a forged iron hitting the ball at impact. Ping doesnt quit do that, although its not a bad feel.

If looking for a players/GE iron, I would also have to make a nod for the Nike VR Pro Combo's. Lot of thought was put into that set. Entire thread here on the forum of reviews on it from low single digit HC's to some 12-14 HC'ers.

Forgot about these. Duh!

yea I really like the ping s56 but I know how good mizunos feel. I dont have a golf store around me to hit them yet so just looking for opinions. I would be all out for the pings but they arent forged and Im so use to that thunk feeling of a forged iron hitting the ball at impact. Ping doesnt quit do that, although its not a bad feel.

Forged really has nothing do to do with it.

We have extensive review threads on many irons out there. Search away and enjoy the info :)

Go get fitted and get the one that performs the best for you. It is worth spending the extra time and money to get the product that performs the best.

An iron being forged has little to do with the feel of an iron. Since you have no way to actually hit or demo iron options, just buy the clubs that appeal aesthetically to you.

thanks im thinking my choice is going to be between the pings56 and the mizuno mp-59,,,

So Im looking for something that is a players style iron and Im not sure which to get. I was thinking of the Ping s56 but then I came across the mizuno mp-59 which looks nice, I didnt like the mp-58 though. Looking for suggestions on irons, Ive tried the ap2 but I didnt like it much. Thanks

You will really just have to hit a lot of different clubs to see what works best, personally I don't care about the look at all, I am only interested in how the club works, what kind of shots I can make and what the trajectory is. I would also not suggest buying forged only because they are forged, what matters is how they play with your swing not how they feel, whether that is real or imagined. I think they feel completely different from cast on flush hits but that is just me. Regarding the MP59 I have a fairly upright swing plane and tend to hit the ball somewhat high with a little fade as my natural shot with every club in the bag and the MP59s ballooned some on me when I hit them. I would definitely look at the R11s, the Anser Forged and the RazrX Tour as all are great clubs, I would also not rule out one of the Mizuno blades- they are not impossible to hit and when you are hitting them flush they are magical.

You will really just have to hit a lot of different clubs to see what works best, personally I don't care about the look at all, I am only interested in how the club works, what kind of shots I can make and what the trajectory is. I would also not suggest buying forged only because they are forged, what matters is how they play with your swing not how they feel, whether that is real or imagined. I think they feel completely different from cast on flush hits but that is just me. Regarding the MP59 I have a fairly upright swing plane and tend to hit the ball somewhat high with a little fade as my natural shot with every club in the bag and the MP59s ballooned some on me when I hit them. I would definitely look at the R11s, the Anser Forged and the RazrX Tour as all are great clubs, I would also not rule out one of the Mizuno blades- they are not impossible to hit and when you are hitting them flush they are magical.

Thanks for the response. yea I dont hit the ball that high, actually looking for a bit more height in my irons shots. Im coming from blades and while I like that style, they just launch too low. I will get better distance and spin with something else in the player range.

thanks im thinking my choice is going to be between the pings56 and the mizuno mp-59,,,

I have the Ping 56s. I love the look and feel of the irons, my only regret is that I balked at the upcharge for Project X shafts and went with the KBS Tours. It took me several months to figure out how to flight the ball down with these shafts, but otherwise I couldn't be happier with my decision. I did struggle a bit with hitting the 3 iron, and I have recently replaced the 3I with a hybrid. My previous set was MP-30s, which had a similar look and feel.

I have the Ping 56s. I love the look and feel of the irons, my only regret is that I balked at the upcharge for Project X shafts and went with the KBS Tours. It took me several months to figure out how to flight the ball down with these shafts, but otherwise I couldn't be happier with my decision. I did struggle a bit with hitting the 3 iron, and I have recently replaced the 3I with a hybrid. My previous set was MP-30s, which had a similar look and feel.

thanks for the info on the 3 iron, im actually looking for a forgiving 3 iron and was concerned with the set having one. If i go the mizuno route I could get a 3 iron mp fli hi with it instead. If the ping route I would have to throw in a ping i15 or the new i20 when it comes out.

just hit the mp-59 at the store, it felt great. Compared it side by side to the 69 and couldnt tell a difference in softness between the two. Im thinking 3 iron in mp-fli hi and 4-pw in the mp-59. what do you guys think?

Mizuno makes great clubs, no doubt, and I'm sure that combo would be great. I would recommend hitting everything you can get your hands on, though. Take demo clubs to the range/course and really put them through the paces. That way, you'll know you made the right decision.

Mizuno makes great clubs, no doubt, and I'm sure that combo would be great. I would recommend hitting everything you can get your hands on, though. Take demo clubs to the range/course and really put them through the paces. That way, you'll know you made the right decision.

yea i currently have mp-32 and while they feel wonderful, I dont get enough launch out of them. The mp-59 has a slightly higher launch than the 63 and 69. The mp-59's look great from address, the ap2's are basically their competition and the 59's look tons better at address. The ap2's launch slightly higher than the 712 MB and CB as well. Also the new grind on the 59,69's is so much better than the clunky ap2's. The 59 and 69's have a beveled trailing edge just the the new 712 mb's will have.

If mizuno had just as much tour presence as Titleist, then they would be played just as much as the ap2's on tour.

One of my favorite review threads so far is the Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 reviews. Those are the best looking irons I've ever seen and the reviews are great!

I am a 5 and I don't carry a 3 iron any more, lately I have been thinking of ditching the 4i too. Hybrids are the way to go in place of long irons. I don't think I would buy a set of irons today that went past 4i and maybe not longer than 5i. I would probably also not buy a PW with a set any more and go with hand picked wedges for PW, GW, SW, LW etc.

I am a 5 and I don't carry a 3 iron any more, lately I have been thinking of ditching the 4i too. Hybrids are the way to go in place of long irons. I don't think I would buy a set of irons today that went past 4i and maybe not longer than 5i. I would probably also not buy a PW with a set any more and go with hand picked wedges for PW, GW, SW, LW etc.

yea im done with blade style long irons as well, Ive hit GI long irons and I just hit them better. I can hit the blade style long irons off tees pretty good with a decent strike but its just too much work to hit a decent shot from the fairway with a long iron. Im thinking the mp-59 4 iron will be forgiving enough to use, if not I can always choke down on the mp fli hi 3 or exchange the 59 4i for another fli hi.

I have the 69s in pw-6iron and 59 in 5 and 4 irons and I love them. They feel amazing and look amazing as well. I hit the 69s better when i demoed but liked the looks of the 59s so had to get the long irons in them as I felt it would also help me as well. I don't use the long irons much at my home course so hard to tell as of now but i love mizuno clubs now.

Some great deals to be had on the old MP-68s, in the UK they are clearing them off brand new for half the price of the new MP-69s!

I have the 69s in pw-6iron and 59 in 5 and 4 irons and I love them. They feel amazing and look amazing as well. I hit the 69s better when i demoed but liked the looks of the 59s so had to get the long irons in them as I felt it would also help me as well. I don't use the long irons much at my home course so hard to tell as of now but i love mizuno clubs now.

yea, mizuno is top notch when it comes to irons. I had AP2's a long time ago then switched to mizuno mp-32, I didnt know soft until I got the mizunos, like butter. I can hit blades great but I just don't get the desired launch I need so I loose distance and spin that I could have. Good choice on the 59 in the long irons, those 69's will be like butter knives in the long irons, lol.

Back