How long do you keep your gear for?

I will change until I find the best for me. That might take a long time !!!! And lots of changing.lol

Not long enough hehe! I like to wheel and deal

i got my 2.0 burners (free replacement from taylormade due to a defect in my one-year-old R9's) last july.
the shaft is the stock one but i got them with lenght and lie custom-fit.

i see me playing them for at least 2-3 years: my swing is not yet solid enought to justify a change in the forseeable future anyway.
i will have to add an AW and a fairway wood along the way, though (my longest club is now a 21 deg. hybrid).

I've updated my entire bag in the last year. Prior to that, I had a set of Callaway knock-offs that I had made in 2001 when my set before that was stolen. Since updating, I have dropped my handicap from 25+ down to 16. I play alot more now so it's me, not the sticks but it helps justify the purchases right? :D

I am seriously thinking about re-shafting my driver with something stiffer as my swing speed is entirely different with it as compared to other clubs in my bag....doesn't feel right and it seems like I have to conciously change my swing every time I step on the tee box in order to hit the ball straight.....too much thinking for me. I'm pretty happy with everything else although, I put my old cheapie Walter Hagen 3W back in the bag but would like to find something newer to replace it with that provides a little more distance.

My bag is a revolving door, which can be fun at times and challenging at times.

I agree and disagree. I think you can buy a better game to an extent because you can buy equipment that may be better suited for your game or simply tweak current equipment via fittings, etc. But I think once you do find something it's important to keep it for as long as it works for you.

I've never been "sucked" in by any marketing. You simply can not buy a better game. Find something that works and stick with it.

I usually change only to try to fix a specific problem. For example, I bought new wedges to fill a gap that had developed between PW and SW and I replaced long irons with hybrids because I could not get elevation on the 3/4 irons.

My money is better spent on lessons; the swing, not the equipment, is my problem.

I usually change only to try to fix a specific problem. For example, I bought new wedges to fill a gap that had developed between PW and SW and I replaced long irons with hybrids because I could not get elevation on the 3/4 irons.

My money is better spent on lessons; the swing, not the equipment, is my problem.

nonsense, its always the arrow and never the indian lol

I tend to change everything but my wedges. I have had my wedges since 2002-2003ish. They are my favorite clubs Cleveland 588s Gap,Sand,Lob.

I keep my stuff until I can afford a replacement, then still only replace it if it needs replacing.

When I had my TA 845s, I used to demo other clubs against those every year or so. I kept those 845s in my bag for almost 10 years. They stayed there until I demo'd the Ping Zings. I went club for club. And the only 845 club that was better than the Ping Zings was the LW. I kept my Ping Zings in my bag for OVER 10 years.

I finally went and got "fitted" with a so-so fitter, and went with the Nike slingshots I have now. I've had my Nikes for about7 years. I may have my Pings re-shafted and go back to those. OR, if I can talk my wife into a GREAT X-mas present, I may get fitted again for irons.

For my driver, I still use my Cleveland Launcher that I got about 6 years ago. In a recent driver fitting, there was only one driver that performed better for my than my Cleveland. It was the new Cleveland Launcher 270 with only a 3-5 yard increase in distance, and about the same dispersion. So, I'm not going to buy a new driver at this time.

Now, I need a new 3 wood. And, I need to learn to hit a hybrid correctly or get a new 5 wood. My Ping putter has been in my bag for over 10 years and will stay there.

That said, I would probably have 1-2 new sets a year if I could afford it!!!!

I had my driver for a bit more than 3 years until I recently switched to the S2 and it should be good for a couple of seasons. I had my fairway wood for 3 years until a recent switch to the G15 and it looks safe. I switch out hybrids constantly since I can't seem to get comfortable with a setup. My irons I picked up this spring and the same with wedges and putter so they are in the bag for another season or two. I say 2-3 years is typical for me once I find something that works. One of the issues is that as a relative newbie (4th season) my game has been evolving so that has driven some bag adjustments.

Great topic and interesting to see what everyone has posted. Personally, the technology out there today compared to even 3-5 years ago is far and away superior. Drivers today are made to hit 'em longer and straighter. Irons are made with better feel and control. Putters are weighted better. So, with that being said:

I usually switch my driver out every 2 years. The technology and options that Taylor Made came out with this year with the R11 is the best in years. I will probably be looking to 'upgrade' come 2013. No telling what is waiting for us then.

I bought new irons this year and will usually play with a set for at least 3-5 years. This is something to being comfortable with your set of irons. These are usually kept the longest for me (not to mention $$$$ to get new ones).

Wedges I'll keep for at least 2+ years. Another comfort thing. But love to tinker with different brands here.

Putter.............play till the magic is gone.

I had my driver for a bit more than 3 years until I recently switched to the S2 and it should be good for a couple of seasons. I had my fairway wood for 3 years until a recent switch to the G15 and it looks safe. I switch out hybrids constantly since I can't seem to get comfortable with a setup. My irons I picked up this spring and the same with wedges and putter so they are in the bag for another season or two. I say 2-3 years is typical for me once I find something that works. One of the issues is that as a relative newbie (4th season) my game has been evolving so that has driven some bag adjustments.

I'm totally with you there. I started with one of those "complete sets in a box" but as my swing has gotten better I purchased a quality set of irons (Ping G5). After realizing I had a difficult time with the long irons I have since replaced them with a 3 and 4 hybrid. Next on the wish list will be a quality 3-wood. One thing that I have forced myself to do though is to always buy used. My irons and hybrids were all in excellent shape but I paid almost 50% less than what they would have been new.

I usually keep my gear for a long time. Less since joining this forum, but my prev irons I had for 5 years. The only thing I change often is my putter. When it stops working it is gone!

Oh, what about golf shoes?? Haven't seen that posted yet.........I'm probably on the every 2 years for that as well.

i have had my titleist 762's for about 9 years now and im finally looking to get a new set. i'll change my driver and 3 wood periodically with new technology. but generally i will stick with something as long as i can still play well with it. i will work on my swing before i go changing whats in my bag.

I'm totally with you there. I started with one of those "complete sets in a box" but as my swing has gotten better I purchased a quality set of irons (Ping G5). After realizing I had a difficult time with the long irons I have since replaced them with a 3 and 4 hybrid. Next on the wish list will be a quality 3-wood. One thing that I have forced myself to do though is to always buy used. My irons and hybrids were all in excellent shape but I paid almost 50% less than what they would have been new.

Yep, I'll typically buy used or a season or 2 after a club is released. With the relentless drive to create and push new products you can tool up for about 1/3 the cost of chasing the new releases for roughly equivalent equipment imo.

With irons I tend not to change them very often. Current ones will be 5 yrs old in Jan.

It does not matter how good you may be, it will take several months to get used to the individual nuances of clubs so why change too often. We all like to have new gear, but often we buy it and end up regretting it because we find out that the new wonder club is not the Holy Grail we thought it was.

Drivers are the things I experiment with, or should I say shafts. I have access to all manner of shafts so will try different ones now and again, but over the last 12 months keep coming back to the Aldila RIP Alpha.

sent using Tapatalk for Android

Everything in my bag with the exception of the putter and maybe one of the wedges has been there for at least 4-5 years and some of these clubs were used when I bought them at that time. My previous set of irons was in the bag for at least 10 years. The putter is less than a year old but the one before this current one was in the bag for about 5 years and the one before that probably 15 years. I have played 3 different sets of irons over the last 20 years so I don't change things out very often. Except for iron sets I hand pick each individual club so it takes me a long time to find the right one to replace one that I like.

Oh, what about golf shoes?? Haven't seen that posted yet.........I'm probably on the every 2 years for that as well.

I just bought new shoes and i would guess its been about 2 years as well.

Too often lol . Wedges, irons, hybrid are all new this month. Waiting for Cleveland black then driver and fw will be new. Waiting on a deal for a Nike method 001.

tapatalk addict....

I guess my answer is almost never! I've had my irons for about 25 years. I did break down and bought the R11 driver and 3 metal which I love. Soooo I may be upgrading my irons this spring, by then I will have read from all these testers and narrowed down the choices!!

I just upgraded my Taylor Made 2009 Burners to a set of Mizuno MX 1000. I like the Mizuno's better as they feel really nice. I plan on keeping these for a while. I do plan on finding another driver in the near future. I currently have the 2009 Burner. I'll probably be set for a little bit.

I tend to switch clubs a couple times a year. Sometimes it because I start to struggle or simply because I get the urge to try something new.
I blame Ebay. Im able to get almost-new clubs for so cheap that its more temptation than I can resist.

Back