Need help refinishing and removing old Ping putter head

jgiguere17

I am addicted to putters!
Reaction score
Handicap
11.2 OOB
I have tried heating up where the shaft meets the head but with no luck the darn thing will not come off.

It is a Ping Anser LH putter

I am trying to refinish it for my god kids dad for his birthday. Any thoughts? Also what is the best way to get all the nicks off the face and little bumps? A dremel? file? sand paper? then what about buffing it out to a high polish, what should I use?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

uploading pictures to the thread as well.....

Joe

photo3nwj.jpg

photo1us.jpg

Heating it up is the way to go. I use a torch and you can see that in the shaft removal thread. In some cases a shaft extractor will be necessary to get a head off after heating.

The old pings used pressure and a ball to hold the putter head in place, no? I thought they didn't use epoxy?

Most all Ping putter that have a shaft the goes into the hosel, will have the ball bearing. Heat alone noramlly will not do it. I use a shaft clamp at times and a shaft puller on others. I have some luck over the years with freezing the putter over night (the ball will contract slightly) and then using a puller. I've never had one I couldn't pull but some are easier than others. As a last resort, you can cut the shaft off about an inch above the head, and then use a punch inside the shaft to drive the head off, but of course you will need a new shaft if you go that route.

What is the cost of a replacement shaft? I have ordered a new grip already (ping pistol)

Can I use a buffer wheel attached to a corded drill to get the rpm speed to buff out the putter? or just stick with a bench grinder?

Id buff it for sure!
What is the cost of a replacement shaft? I have ordered a new grip already (ping pistol)

Can I use a buffer wheel attached to a corded drill to get the rpm speed to buff out the putter? or just stick with a bench grinder?

I have industrial grade equipment for this work, so I don't have much experience using hand power tools for this. You will not be able to generate enough speed or RPM's to do anything with a drill I wouldn't think. Same with a bench grinder. Just not enough speed for buffing. It really is ahrder than it looks and manganese bronze is pretty hard stuff.

Off to Hoosier for a little TLC, I will post pictures once it is all finished. Off to find a SF giants putter cover

BTW for those trying to get a head off from an older Ping Putter, I got mine off today.

froze the whole putter in my side by side freezer overnight for 10 hours. Then I put the shaft connection to the putter over the flames to my gas stove and worked the shaft slowly out. Sure enough there was a small bearing in there.

Persistence pays off! Great job

BTW for those trying to get a head off from an older Ping Putter, I got mine off today.

froze the whole putter in my side by side freezer overnight for 10 hours. Then I put the shaft connection to the putter over the flames to my gas stove and worked the shaft slowly out. Sure enough there was a small bearing in there.

Many have found that a good way to go. The bearing will contract slightly when frozen. Some can be harder than others, but I've never had one I didn't get out.

I'm going to fix this one up for Joe for shipping only. I'm really not in the business of refinishing for others and I'm certainly not here at THP to drum up business. He got the THP special! I love working on these old putters, so that is pay enough.

Many have found that a good way to go. The bearing will contract slightly when frozen. Some can be harder than others, but I've never had one I didn't get out.

I'm going to fix this one up for Joe for shipping only. I'm really not in the business of refinishing for others and I'm certainly not here at THP to drum up business. He got the THP special! I love working on these old putters, so that is pay enough.

Way to go Hoosier! Joe's Great people! I know he really was happy that you are helping him out!!!

Way to go Hoosier! Joe's Great people! I know he really was happy that you are helping him out!!!

Thank you! I should add that Joe is sending me a signed pic of Dustin Johnson. That will be cool for sure. Giving life to old Ping putters is a lot of fun. I told him I would take a few pic's as I makeover the putter. It will be fun.

Does anyone know if any company offers face milling for these old putters? I'd be interested in sending my old Pal out to recieve a milled surface. Sounds to me like something that could be done.

Does anyone know if any company offers face milling for these old putters? I'd be interested in sending my old Pal out to recieve a milled surface. Sounds to me like something that could be done.

Several places that can mill the face for you. Kevin Colbert comes to mind for me. You can search Colbert Putter Plating.

I received Joe's old Anser head this afternoon. First issue was to remove the cutoff peice of shaft with the ball bearing. With that out of the way, I will begin working on the head later today. The head is much better condition than I thought it would be, so it should go quick. Sorry for the poor pics.

PingLH5.jpg

PingLH7.jpg

Last edited:
Here is Joe's finished Anser. All cleaned up and free of old nicks/scratches. Only the face & sole were left buffed and everything else was bead blasted to reduce the glare.

PingLH15a.jpg

PingLH16a-1.jpg

PingLH17a.jpg

PingLH18a.jpg

Nice work Hoosier!! Looks amazing man.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Thanks all! Bronze Anser's are hard to buff and make look right. I hope he likes it.

Mark, I got the head today. It is amazing in person! My kids godfather will love this thing, with a new ping man grip, ping headcover and a nice dozen of golf balls for his bday, makes a good gift.

Again, can not say thank you enough for helping me out with this project.

Any thoughts on if I could paint fill the "PING" and "ANSER" on the back?

Mark, I got the head today. It is amazing in person! My kids godfather will love this thing, with a new ping man grip, ping headcover and a nice dozen of golf balls for his bday, makes a good gift.

Again, can not say thank you enough for helping me out with this project.

Any thoughts on if I could paint fill the "PING" and "ANSER" on the back?

I'm glad you liked it and I was happy to do it. I use testers paint for paint fill. Just dab it in the letters, let it dry and clean up around the letters with a q-tip and grip solvent. That has always worked well for me.

That's some really nice work HG! That putter looks amazing and it's going to make and awesome gift.

Back