tial

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker on this forum and now i decided to make an account.

I started to get back into golf after taking couple years off from it. I borrowed my cousins no name brand clubs and went to the range this past weekend and realized that i did miss golfing even though it has been couple of years.
Well today, I went to the range again with my cousins club and decided that I need to purchase my own, so i dont get use to his. Well i thought i was dead set on getting the Taylormade Burner 2.0 but I went to a local golf store here and tried out the Taylormade R11. Couple things I noticed that the balls went further on 2.0 by 5-10 yards then the R11. BUT it seems like the balls followed the path a lot better on the R11's. I assume I can continue to practice so my form and swing improve to get the distance.

Now the questions:

1. Do you guys think the R11 is to much for a "noob"?
2. What is a better setup 4-AW or 4-SW?
3. Is $600 for brand new set a good price?

Thank you,

James

There are a bunch of testers reviewing the R11s right now. I would suggest you look there it is packed with great info

James welcome to THP
Typically when we come into this wonderful world we drop a note in the introduction area so everyone can say hello and learn a little about you. You may want to visit that part of the forum so you can feel the full force of this great site.
To answer your questions. Club setup is an individual choice. If you can handle a 3 iron then go for 3-PW but if you like scoring and don't like the long irons I would go for a 4-aw setup.
$600 is a good price but it limits you on the newer sets of clubs. R11 is not too much club for a noob but be sure it is the club for you. As much as I like Taylormade products there are so many clubs to hit and choose from.
I would go get fit at your local Golftec and see what they suggest. They are not brand specific so I feel you'll get good honest feedback.

James welcome to THP
Typically when we come into this wonderful world we drop a note in the introduction area so everyone can say hello and learn a little about you. You may want to visit that part of the forum so you can feel the full force of this great site.
To answer your questions. Club setup is an individual choice. If you can handle a 3 iron then go for 3-PW but if you like scoring and don't like the long irons I would go for a 4-aw setup.
$600 is a good price but it limits you on the newer sets of clubs. R11 is not too much club for a noob but be sure it is the club for you. As much as I like Taylormade products there are so many clubs to hit and choose from.
I would go get fit at your local Golftec and see what they suggest. They are not brand specific so I feel you'll get good honest feedback.

Hi Tadashi,

Would you prefer going 4-AW or 4-SW? How much does it cost to get fitted at Golftec?

Hi Tadashi,

Would you prefer going 4-AW or 4-SW? How much does it cost to get fitted at Golftec?

I need the AW in my set so the 4-AW. The AW is a great filler in my scoring clubs. If I went with 4-SW I would still purchase an AW of some sort to fill the gap between my SW and PW.
Golftec in my area charges $150 for an iron and woods fitting. Based on your driver and say 6 iron swing they can tell you all the clubs that fit your swing. Good luck!

Unless you're completely sold on R11's I'd go hit anything and everything since you've been removed from the game a bit. Iron tech has changed a lot. As far as set makeup goes that's an individual choice. If you go with an AW that's cool but there may be some more versatile wedges of the same loft out there that may benefit your game more so go check those out too.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Welcome to THP James!

Personally, I think that if you can swing a set of R11's for $600, then I would jump all over them. I know that you are just getting back into golf, but my thoughts would be to get the clubs that you want. If you don't, then it'll always be on your mind. Kind of like "I wonder if" thoughts would be dominating your mind. I'm an advocate of getting fit but there's nothing wrong with getting fit to a particular set of irons if those are the ones you want.

I really like the R11 irons and couldn't recommend them enough. They offer so many positives to a golfer, whether you're a noob or a veteran.

Good luck on your purchase.

Hi james,

I am going to throw out another option here that kind of combines some of the comments made above. I am not sure where in world you are located but there are stores around me here in SoCal that get involved with selling used or demo equipment and offer a 90 day return/exchange policy. You could then "test out" a few sets of clubs, even the R11s and see how they perform on the course where it counts. Of course I suggest some testing along with that to make sure you get the right clubs for your swing and abilities.

James welcome to THP

Unless you're completely sold on R11's I'd go hit anything and everything since you've been removed from the game a bit. Iron tech has changed a lot. As far as set makeup goes that's an individual choice. If you go with an AW that's cool but there may be some more versatile wedges of the same loft out there that may benefit your game more so go check those out too.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Welcome to THP James!

Personally, I think that if you can swing a set of R11's for $600, then I would jump all over them. I know that you are just getting back into golf, but my thoughts would be to get the clubs that you want. If you don't, then it'll always be on your mind. Kind of like "I wonder if" thoughts would be dominating your mind. I'm an advocate of getting fit but there's nothing wrong with getting fit to a particular set of irons if those are the ones you want.

I really like the R11 irons and couldn't recommend them enough. They offer so many positives to a golfer, whether you're a noob or a veteran.

Good luck on your purchase.

Can't really add anything more to what these guys are saying. Welcome to THP!!

Ahoy there and welcome!

I wholeheartedly agree with the advice above. About set make up, I thought it might be fair to drop a few words. The last number of years the lofts of many irons have grown stronger. As such, the classic 3-PW setup has actually transformed into 4-AW (R11 included) as far as lofts are concerned. Just ordered R11's myself, and went 5-AW (traditionally 4-PW) to which I'll add two more wedges. (54* and 58*).

Not saying that you should do the same, as I've no clue how you're doing (or plan to do) with the long irons. Just giving a bit of background that I hope will help you decide.

- Carsten

I'm going with Chunkylover here, you've got some of the best guys in the business up above me giving you great info. I'd lean towards Hanks and TC and say Hit 'em all! Don't make a mistake in buying something based on advertising. If you're going to drop, $600+ on a set of clubs you will probably keep for a few years...spend the extra to get fitted for the proper clubs and get the right set the first time. Also, I've learned (thanks THP) that the shafts can be just as important. I'm hitting the R11 (again thanks THP) and love the club. Also you'll need to check club length and lie as well. I was in the same type boat you are (back after a while) and I'd say, spend some time on this site and learn as much as you can before you walk in to purchase clubs. It's all here, and if its not...these guys can answer any question you have with unbaised responses. Welcome to THP!

Nice to meet you!

Lots of great replies already. I agree with the used set option if you can find something that you like and that fits you. There are tons of clubs in test right now here on the forum. Everything from full iron sets to drivers, and wedges. Spend some time perusing the current and older test threads. The guys here do a fantastic job of providing honest feedback on whatever they are testing. In the end go hit everything you can put your hands on and see what feels best to you. Then when you've found the clubs you want do yourself the biggest favor of all and get them fitted. There is nothing like having that confidence standing over the ball knowing that your clubs are setup right.

Looks like everybody has covered it so I have nothing to add, Welcome To THP!

Welcome to THP James! If I were you, I would go to a Golfsmith and get a fitting. Most reps at Golfsmith will give it to you for free if you buy some clubs before you leave

That price of $600 seems a little low, usually steel R11s are $800 and graphite $1000. I'd do as suggested above and get a fitting and look at the whole market before making a choice. I'm recently back and bought a mid priced set of clubs until I settle my swing, then get refitted and see where that takes me.

Like everyone's already said, swing anything and everything you can get your hands on, and then find what you like used. As you begin to play more, get your swing back, settled, etc., your preference in clubs may change. I'm essentially going through the same process. I just used my old clubs until now I'm feeling a bit more comfortable and settled in. So, my search for clubs begins!

Coincidentally, I'm leaning towards the Burner 2.0s. As mentioned earlier, there's review threads on both the R11s and the Burner 2.0s, and they are great, great resources. It may take time, but I suggest reading through those threads.

I agree 100% with Tad and everyone else that said to go get fitted. I am still a normal set up on almost all irons but i still get fitted and try out lots of clubs before buying anything new. Golftec prob is one of the best places to go IMO. cause they will fit you for shafts also. Good luck with the search for a new set of irons and like everyone said there is probably a thread of reviews of any irons you select to read up on before purchasing. Welcome to the site.

Try a fwe more clubs out before deciding, but I would say that the R11 are not necessarily too much club.

That price of $600 seems a little low, usually steel R11s are $800 and graphite $1000. I'd do as suggested above and get a fitting and look at the whole market before making a choice. I'm recently back and bought a mid priced set of clubs until I settle my swing, then get refitted and see where that takes me.
I'll +1 this again...I bought an entry level set of Nike clubs (Ignite 3) to get familiar with the newer equipment. I really enjoyed those and began to hit them quite well. If you just aren't ready to go through all the motions as decribed above, think about that route before you drop serious cash on a new set..

I'll second MikeT here in saying that I personally haven't seen authentic TaylorMade R11's for less that he stated. Be very careful, there are tons of counterfeits out there, we have a whole thread available to view here on THP.

Back