Advice on used set of wedges

kansas98

Reaction score
Handicap
High
I've been considering investing in a quality wedge set to put into my bag. I currently have the pitching wedge that is a part of my iron set (Ping G5) and just a cheap brand 54* wedge that I picked up for $20 (I really hate this club by the way, which is why I'm in the market for wedges). I'm a fairly new player and my "long" game has gotten consistent enough to get the job done. I now want to really focus on the short game to start getting my scores down.

I was looking around at the local Golfsmith and they had a couple of used Cleveland CG14 wedges that caught my eye. One is a 52* (10 bounce) and the other was a 56* (14 bounce) both in the black finish. The finish on the face was starting to wear a little bit, but the grooves and sole of the clubs were in mint condition. I was talking to the guy and he said he'd knock down the price to only $40 per club if I bought them both. I didn't have my wallet with me so they are holding them for me.

I hit a couple pitch and chip shots with them and they feel really nice. However, hitting off of a mat is much different than off grass. So, has anybody tried out the CG14 wedges? Should I go for these or keep shopping around?

I've been considering investing in a quality wedge set to put into my bag. I currently have the pitching wedge that is a part of my iron set (Ping G5) and just a cheap brand 54* wedge that I picked up for $20 (I really hate this club by the way, which is why I'm in the market for wedges). I'm a fairly new player and my "long" game has gotten consistent enough to get the job done. I now want to really focus on the short game to start getting my scores down.

I was looking around at the local Golfsmith and they had a couple of used Cleveland CG14 wedges that caught my eye. One is a 52* (10 bounce) and the other was a 56* (14 bounce) both in the black finish. The finish on the face was starting to wear a little bit, but the grooves and sole of the clubs were in mint condition. I was talking to the guy and he said he'd knock down the price to only $40 per club if I bought them both. I didn't have my wallet with me so they are holding them for me.

I hit a couple pitch and chip shots with them and they feel really nice. However, hitting off of a mat is much different than off grass. So, has anybody tried out the CG14 wedges? Should I go for these or keep shopping around?

I think the important thing is to be sure that the grooves are clean and sharp. If the edges look good, there should be plenty of life left in the wedge. I think the CG14 wedges have been held in pretty high regard, although I have never owned one.

$40 bucks each sounds pretty good to me if the grooves are in good shape. I have hit them before. you really cant go wrong with cleveland wedges.

A used set of Clevelands is probably the way to go as long as they are in good shape. I'd also consider checking out cheaper full sets. You can get full sets of rockbottomgolf.com for $120.

I just got a 58* CG14 (condition 9/10) on the bay for $17.59. Grooves are great. I'd highly recommend this series.

You can also buy a groove sharpener on ebay for $10 and just sharpening the grooves on the CG14's. $40 sounds like a good deal but the important question is the bounce - both of them have high bounce so if you play most of your golf on firm hard fairways then you might have a hard time making good contact. High bounce is good for diggers and playing in soft turf conditions

You can also buy a groove sharpener on ebay for $10 and just sharpening the grooves on the CG14's. $40 sounds like a good deal but the important question is the bounce - both of them have high bounce so if you play most of your golf on firm hard fairways then you might have a hard time making good contact. High bounce is good for diggers and playing in soft turf conditions

Keep in mind that sharpening grooves can cause your clubs to not conform to tournament conditions if one is going to play in those.

Technically those are two dots (mid bounce). There is a high bounce option (three dots) from Cleveland as well.

Keep in mind that sharpening grooves can cause your clubs to not conform to tournament conditions if one is going to play in those.

Yeah.......I don't think I'm going to have to worry about this. I'm sure the guys that I played with in my last scramble were wishing I had some non-conforming clubs in my bag.

I tested the CG14s before I decided on my Vokeys, but they were pretty high up, just not for me. They offer amazing spin, just slightly less than the rough-surfaced Vokeys, but I almost prefer the soft feel more. It really feel "plump" over solid, and is something you might really like

Back