Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Wow Jake a few things stand out from your post and videos. First off, these irons sound so clean when you hit them. I loved the sound and the only word I can think of is clean. That leads me into the next item, these just look clean. Now I know you take good care of your stuff, that's not what I mean, the set up with these irons and the J40 wedges just flat out look amazing! I am so impressed by this line up and I can't wait to get the opportunity to hit them! Bridgestone has an amazing line up this year!

P4B, how have the short irons performed with 3/4, 1/2 or choke-down shots? Any difference with your previous clubs?

Great reviews - in particular capturing the sweet sweet impact sound these things make.

You can really see the beveling in the those videos. I think those irons look better every time I see them.

P4B, how have the short irons performed with 3/4, 1/2 or choke-down shots? Any difference with your previous clubs?

Great reviews - in particular capturing the sweet sweet impact sound these things make.

Last time I played them I found myself hitting a lot of 1/2 and 3/4 shots to try to keep the flight down and they absolutely performed outstanding. The ball just clicks so nicely off the face and the feel and performance is spot on.

I haven't really talked a lot about the spin of these irons yet. I have had no problems getting shots to stop on the greens at all, even with the longer irons and on some pretty dried out greens around here this fall. I'll get pics and videos to try to capture the spin I'm getting next time I play....(later today).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I've played 4 rounds of 18 holes since bagging the J40 Dual Pocket Cavity irons (and a few range sessions). My first round was a 75, never hit them before in my life and just put them in the bag in the parking lot prior to teeing off that day. Second round was a 81 in very windy conditions, all things considered I'll take that score that day. 3rd and 4th rounds were both 78's. The 4th round was headed for much better but toward the end of the round my back acted up on me and I ended up with 5 bogeys out of the last 6 holes. To me there is no better proof than a scorecard as far as how good a particular piece of equipment is. This 4 round stretch is as good as any stretch I've had all summer, it came right as I was actually in a bit of a funk with my game, I have been and still am working on getting my weight shift back where it should be in the swing and things were just sort of "ok" for a while. Enter the J40 Dual Pocket Cavity irons and it just seems that things have really settled in quite nicely for my game right now.

After posting the video from Saturday's round I noticed that my backswing was further back than I like it. I've always had more success hitting irons when I keep my swing short of parallel. In the video I was actually past parallel. Next time out (yesterday) I made a conscience effort to keep that swing a little shorter and I was having probably my best ball striking day I've had in months. I also found that few yards that I had been missing with my irons lately as well. On the first 12 holes I hit 9 GIR including greens in reg on every par 3 I played to that point (177, 169, 180 yards). Before my little back issue I was +2 on my round, confidence was at an all time high every time I pulled an iron out of my bag.

Hitting good solidly struck irons really gave me a chance to see exactly what the ball flight is doing with the PX shaft that comes standard in the J40 irons. A nice piercing flight that starts low and gradually climbs is what I was seeing all day long. The lower ball flight hasn't cost me anything in terms of holding greens. I get a nice deep ball mark with about 5 to 10 feet of release out of the long irons. Short irons I've seen a few spin back just a bit (maybe 5 feet or so), but most of the short irons shots have just dropped and stopped almost right next to where it lands. I've heard people say that the PX shafts can be a little harsh but I haven't felt that at all, in fact the feel of the Dual Pocket Cavity irons are as good as any iron I've ever hit. I've played a lot of forged players cavity iron sets in the past and I would say these irons feel better and perform better than the Mizuno MP-57, the Nike Pro Combo and the Titleist 695 cb's I've owned.

Later in the round when my back was keeping me from swinging my best I had a good opportunity to see just how forgiving these irons were. On shots that were a bit off my shots stayed pretty much online but I noticed anywhere between 5 to almost 15 yards distance loss depending on just how bad I hit it. On each of these occasions instead of a GIR I was left with something out of the greenside rough so still very manageable. Had I not kind of given up on the round I'm sure I could have gotten up and down to save pars on at least a few of those 5 bogeys. I was upset that my back hurt and my solid start was going to waste but I still managed a decent score. The good news is that right when the round was done I went home to rest it and things are feeling much better already...I can't wait to get back out and capture some of those amazingly great iron shots again this weekend.

Sorry to hear about the back Jake, but these look and sound as sweet as any set out there. Can't wait to see how you fare with the back healed up and on your complete game.

Hey Puttin4testingtheironsIwouldgameattheMC2.0ifchosenbyBridgestone... I really want to tell you I'm loving the feedback. I'm sorry if this has been covered but how do you like the flighted shafts in the scoring irons? Are you digging the fact they launch lower as you've had more time with them?

I am digging your description of the ball flight there Jake. Thanks for your continued feedback as you work on a review of these gorgeous irons.

Hope the back gets to feeling better and pssstttt....Never give up bro, never! :)

I gave these a go last week in a head to head with the J40 CB. Prior to hitting the Dual Pockets I was stone cold set on the CB. This was based on looks. When I first saw the irons my eye fell to the cavity backs. Well after swinging the clubs I have to say that the Dual Pockets are very nice.
They are slightly bigger than than the CB but not by much. The combo of the head and shaft really work. The ball flight was crisp and high. Turf interaction was smooth as I saw small divots flying out into the range as the ball just climbed into the cool Tampa air. The height rivaled that of my current irons but the feeling of the ball coming of the club face was different. A different feeling with similar results. With each strike I could feel the responsiveness of the shaft. I hit a couple of pulls and felt the head turn down and through the impact area. The J40 line is the real deal

Never hit a bs club. Guess I'm gona have to!!

tapatalk addict....

Hey Puttin4testingtheironsIwouldgameattheMC2.0ifchosenbyBridgestone... I really want to tell you I'm loving the feedback. I'm sorry if this has been covered but how do you like the flighted shafts in the scoring irons? Are you digging the fact they launch lower as you've had more time with them?
Yoc I really like the shafts in the scoring irons. I especially like 3/4 shots with the PW from around 90 to 100 yards, this shot just rocks with these irons. The short irons are where I am constantly manipulating the trajectory of the shots, usually it's trying to keep it lower and drive it in there into a breeze. But even if I need to come in high to stop one quick to a tight pin they have done very well. I've noticed lately that I've been ballooning a lot of those shots with my s300 shafts, not sure if it's a swing thing or not (more than likely is) but so far I've had great success with the PX shafts in these irons.

I want these, Jake. Can you do a close up video next time you hit the range?

Yoc I really like the shafts in the scoring irons. I especially like 3/4 shots with the PW from around 90 to 100 yards, this shot just rocks with these irons. The short irons are where I am constantly manipulating the trajectory of the shots, usually it's trying to keep it lower and drive it in there into a breeze. But even if I need to come in high to stop one quick to a tight pin they have done very well. I've noticed lately that I've been ballooning a lot of those shots with my s300 shafts, not sure if it's a swing thing or not (more than likely is) but so far I've had great success with the PX shafts in these irons.

That's really good to hear Jake. I had my first experience with flighted shafts and thought a lot of the same things you said. Love reading your progress dude.

Yoc I really like the shafts in the scoring irons. I especially like 3/4 shots with the PW from around 90 to 100 yards, I've noticed lately that I've been ballooning a lot of those shots with my s300 shafts, not sure if it's a swing thing or not (more than likely is) but so far I've had great success with the PX shafts in these irons.

I feel the same way with the CB PW too man. Money from 95-105 but I've also seen some balloon balls with the 6-9 clubs especially. Swing or club? Not sure....

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I feel the same way with the CB PW too man. Money from 95-105 but I've also seen some balloon balls with the 6-9 clubs especially. Swing or club? Not sure....

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^
My ballooning I was referring to was with my other irons with the s300 shafts. I actually haven't seen any ballooning with the J40s at all.

I went out for 18 holes with the J40 DPC in the bag. It was a cool and pretty windy day but it's almost November so I can't be too picky about when I play. I shot decent, after paying close attention to keeping my backswing short of parallel I have been doing nothing but nailing these irons. I'm hitting them very solid and quite straight too. I have a video just at impact to get the sound across. This is a 7 iron I hit from 150 into a pretty good breeze today. I was pin high right side of the green. Made par. Today I shot a 79 and in that wind I'll take it. The J40 Dual Pocket Cavity irons delivered again.

Great round P4B, it was cold and windy here today as well, ended up with a 81. I love the looks of those J40's. bridgestone has brought it big time with their new line.

I enjoy reading about your rounds with this irons. Sounds like the clubs stayed on target even in the wind. Are the cooler temps causing you to club up one or two clubs? Thanks for the video, I know the sound you are talking about and the video does a good job of conveying it

I enjoy reading about your rounds with this irons. Sounds like the clubs stayed on target even in the wind. Are the cooler temps causing you to club up one or two clubs? Thanks for the video, I know the sound you are talking about and the video does a good job of conveying it
1 club for sure Tad but today I clubbed up 2 clubs a few times because of the breeze too.

Jake, that sounded real nice! I like that video angle as well. Rocking the Bridgestone squared I see haha.

What's your favorite thing about them at this point?

Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons Review

Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons Review

Jason K is back with his latest review on the Bridgestone irons he has been testing. Click the link below to find out all of the details.

http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=15174

Great review Jason!!! A good read

Back