Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
The stupidest kind of poem. They don't make any sense. I searched and saw a thread for Golf Haikus, but nothing for general haikus. Does anyone even like them or have an argument for them in any way? Here's a haiku to echo my sentiments about haikus:

Haikus are stupid
They almost never make sense
Refrigerator

I love haiku. It is a perfect example of regional literature, reflecting the focus on nature that feudal Japan sought in their lives.

I agree. Haikus are cool. Especially when they are done correctly.

Read some of the classics, Damaikis. Can't go wrong with Basho.

A classic.

Writing a Haiku
I can't think of syllables
These stupid Haiku's

--
tapatalk

Read some of the classics, Damaikis. Can't go wrong with Basho.

I don't know, I'll try though. I just never got them. They are just... Kind of lame IMO. I'll go read some classics and report back. Maybe I'm just missing out because I don't think I've ever read one that was written professionally.

You have to understand that the authentic haiku you read are not going to be in a 5-7-5 structure, because they are translations. Even in the original, poets did not always constrain themselves in such a manner.

I did the first 12 Days of Christmas giveaways, all in Haikus.

White golf ball go far
Man hit hard with driver club
Have cold beer at turn

Kevin

You have to understand that the authentic haiku you read are not going to be in a 5-7-5 structure, because they are translations. Even in the original, poets did not always constrain themselves in such a manner.

Wouldn't that make it not a haiku? I get with the translations, but the originals? Just not sure. Still reading through some of Basho's stuff. Not overly impressed yet. We will see.

It was a rare deviation. It was poetry, freedom of expression and poetic license are kinda accepted. You can break a few rules. Look at e.e. cummings.
Wouldn't that make it not a haiku? I get with the translations, but the originals? Just not sure. Still reading through some of Basho's stuff. Not overly impressed yet. We will see.

Kevin sips his beer
a cool night under the eaves
crickets chirp softly.
White golf ball go far
Man hit hard with driver club
Have cold beer at turn

Kevin

It was a rare deviation. It was poetry, freedom of expression and poetic license are kinda accepted. You can break a few rules. Look at e.e. cummings.

Yep I get it. Not a huge fan of cummings either. I guess I just don't get the whole freedom of expression thing. I'm a pretty black and white kind of guy. Math over language arts, etc. Some of the haikus are cool though, I will admit.

Cummings is an interesting poet. Some of his poems have some of the best (and most erotic, he was a little.... filthy.) imagery you will ever read.
Yep I get it. Not a huge fan of cummings either. I guess I just don't get the whole freedom of expression thing. I'm a pretty black and white kind of guy. Math over language arts, etc. Some of the haikus are cool though, I will admit.

Cummings is an interesting poet. Some of his poems have some of the best (and most erotic, he was a little.... filthy.) imagery you will ever read.

Oh I know. I've read a bunch of Cummings throughout high school. Just not a fan of poetry in general. Some I like and some are better than others, but in general I'm not a fan.

I totally understand. Me and you are polar opposites on this one-- I love literature, art, music, drama, abstract thinking, film; art in all it's forms, but I hate math. Hate it with a burning passion. I am not even particularly bad at it, but I can't stand it.
Oh I know. I've read a bunch of Cummings throughout high school. Just not a fan of poetry in general. Some I like and some are better than others, but in general I'm not a fan.

I totally understand. Me and you are polar opposites on this one-- I love literature, art, music, drama, abstract thinking, film; art in all it's forms, but I hate math. Hate it with a burning passion. I am not even particularly bad at it, but I can't stand it.

I could tell. I love how people generally stand on one side or the other. I wonder what makes them choose one way or the other? Either way, I'm not a haiku guy. :D

Back