FW/Hybrid Distances

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
If you have a 19 degree FW and a 19 degree Hybrid, would the distances be equal? I would think the FW would be longer as usually the shafts on FW are longer than hybrids, I assume at least. I've never had the same lofts on a FW or Hybrid, so I have no experience with this. Thinking of changing up my bag a little in the FW and Hybrid area. I currently game a strong R9 3w at 13 degrees and a R9 5w and just added a 24 degree hybrid. I rarely use the 5w anymore, so I was thinking of replacing that with a hybrid of say 17 or 21 degrees as I think it would get more use in the rough where I don't hit my 5w well.

I would agree. I am in a similar spot. I hit my 3hybrid well out of the rough but not well off the tee. Thinking about getting a 5 wood and putting the 3 hybrid in timeout. But gap wise that would be a good move I would assume.

I have an Adams Super Hybrid, 17 degrees, that can really get out there. Distance is very close to my current 18 degree 5W. I'm actually less consistent with the hybrid.

I carry a 16 degree 3 wood and I own a 16 degree hybrid. I'm longer with the wood but the hybrid may be slightly more accurate. For me it boils down to the fact that when I need to use a club with that loft, I normally have 200+ yards so I carry the wood. I can recover well enough from that distance if I miss a little with my short game.

If I were to play a course with super long par 5's, I might switch to the hybrid as I more than likely can not reach the green in two and I will be playing to a number lay up wise. At my home course, the par 5's are in reach for me in two with a good drive, but I need the distance of the wood.

I carry the 3 wood for keeping my drives in the short grass on tight par 4's. I gave my 19* 5 wood to my son and have a 19* hybrid that I hit better than the 5. Most of the par 5's I play I'm hitting to a distance and not trying for on in 2. My 4 iron has been replaced with the 24* hybrid and that is my best long iron. I'm changing the stock shafts soon that will help improve the ball flite (slightly higher) and help me hold the 170-190 par threes. My "go too" 200 yard club is interestingly enough my TM Vsteel 21* 7 wood. Ihave a stiff ultralite stock TM shaft and I have more confidence in this club than any other including the hybrids, wierd huh!

I have a Z-star 5 wood at 18* that I hit only 185-190 and I rarely carry because I hit my Tour Mashie 3 20.5* 220 and my Tour Mashie 4 23* 200. To me it makes no sense but I just can't hit the 5W very far.

I think it is sll dependent on thre golfer. I have a 19* hybrid that I hit longer than a 5 wood. I also have an 18* that I hit farther than my 5w.

I've dropped my 5 wood for the 3 mashie. The 5 was a touch longer off the tee, but with the 3 mashie the ball flight is longer, straighter, and typically higher from everywhere else........and I can hit the mashie out of moderate rough!! So overall I would say the 5 wood is longer off the tee but my hybrid is so much more versatile.

I think it is sll dependent on thre golfer.

Very much agree. I think you could ask 10 different golfers and you'd have almost 10 different answers

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Back