Toe shots with irons

10YardDraw

Ex Club Ho
Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play!
Hey everybody I was wondering if you guys have a good drill or two for helping with toe shots, I just got my fitted R11 irons and I am still hitting them off the toe more than I would like, it is getting better but I would like some drills to work on it. I am hitting it either straight or baby draw and the shots off the toe are still online just short of the target. I have tried moving very close to the ball and that was just uncomfortable and felt like I had to work 10x harder to get my body out of the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Got this drill from Golf Digest (McLean). "Set two tees in ground about a clubhead apart. Address the tee closer to you, but swing at the one farther away. This drill will flatten your downswing path and will help extend your arms through impact. You'll also swing the club more around your body, which helps eliminate toe hits".

I'd substitute the tees for golf balls. I've done the opposite for heel / hosel rockets (can't say the "S" word) and it works very well.

hope it helps.

I don't know if you've ever seen The School of Golf on The Golf Channel, but he recently did an episode on this. My cable network always has the last few on demand for free, you might check and see if you can find it.

Hey everybody I was wondering if you guys have a good drill or two for helping with toe shots, I just got my fitted R11 irons and I am still hitting them off the toe more than I would like, it is getting better but I would like some drills to work on it. I am hitting it either straight or baby draw and the shots off the toe are still online just short of the target. I have tried moving very close to the ball and that was just uncomfortable and felt like I had to work 10x harder to get my body out of the way. Any help would be appreciated.

I was fitted for Ping G20 iron's. My first 2 rounds were not to my liking, too many toe and heel hits. I went to the driving range and worked it out and afterwards had no more issues, straight and long. Perhaps your previous set was not fitted for you (mine wasn't) and you got used to the lie angle/shaft length. You can work it out at the driving range!

Got this drill from Golf Digest (McLean). "Set two tees in ground about a clubhead apart. Address the tee closer to you, but swing at the one farther away. This drill will flatten your downswing path and will help extend your arms through impact. You'll also swing the club more around your body, which helps eliminate toe hits".

I'd substitute the tees for golf balls. I've done the opposite for heel / hosel rockets (can't say the "S" word) and it works very well.

hope it helps.
Canes thanks for that little drill, I will give it a shot in the next couple days when I get to the range.
I don't know if you've ever seen The School of Golf on The Golf Channel, but he recently did an episode on this. My cable network always has the last few on demand for free, you might check and see if you can find it.
Yes I do have On Demand so I will check it out, thanks. I usually record that show but have forgot to do so the last couple weeks.

I've recently been struggle with my full swing. Mostly pulls with the occasional exaggerated push, often both shots are on the toe. My pulls are caused by an out to in swing path with the club face squared up. Look closely at your divots if you take any. They are the window to the swing soul, and will show you your swing path. Once you can get an idea of your swing path, there are lots of different drills to work on.

My current drill is to place a tee in the ground outside the ball and slightly behind, and another inside the ball but ahead of it by a couple inches. Also, make sure to use alignment sticks when you are on the range. You may think you are aligned correctly, but your subconscious may be thinking otherwise. I know I have to relearn my alignment, and then learn to trust it. My setup looks something like this:

______________________________. T

------target alignment stick------------- O

__________________________. T

-----------stance alignment stick-------------- Set parallel to target line

Hopefully the drawing makes as much sense as it does is my head.

Last edited:
I've recently been struggle with my full swing. Mostly pulls with the occasional exaggerated push, often both shots are on the toe. My pulls are caused by an out to in swing path with the club face squared up. Look closely at your divots if you take any. They are the window to the swing soul, and will show you your swing path. Once you can get an idea of your swing path, there are lots of different drills to work on.

My current drill is to place a tee in the ground outside the ball and slightly behind, and another inside the ball but ahead of it by a couple inches. Also, make sure to use alignment sticks when you are on the range. You may think you are aligned correctly, but your subconscious may be thinking otherwise. I know I have to relearn my alignment, and then learn to trust it. My setup looks something like this:

Got it! Thanks for the tip and drawing. I am going to make a appointment for this weekend to get my lie's checked and bent more upright as Tadashi and myself think they are still to flat for me that is why I am hitting them off the toe. So after I get that done if I am still toeing shots I will have a couple drills to try and correct it, thanks guys I will let you all know how it goes.

Based on the wear pattern I really think that is it. Plus the fact you changed you hand position to a lower plane in order to hit the ball flush.

Whats your swing path? Im really not good at help fixing issues. Like Anthony Kim said and showed on the Tee it up with Tiger clinic "I play by all feel". Thats me I just tell my body myself to hit a cut or draw and normally do. But this sounds like a swing path issue to me (at least when I toe the ball the path is normally the issue)

Whats your swing path? Im really not good at help fixing issues. Like Anthony Kim said and showed on the Tee it up with Tiger clinic "I play by all feel". Thats me I just tell my body myself to hit a cut or draw and normally do. But this sounds like a swing path issue to me (at least when I toe the ball the path is normally the issue)

Swing path is normally in-out, I hit a draw with my Driver, FW, Hybrid, and now these R11 irons since they are a lot closer to being perfectly fitted for me, still think they need to be a little more upright. Most of my shots with my irons though are straight or a slight draw.

Update- I finally got in with my guy that does all my club work and got on the lie board and they actually needed to go 1* flater from where they were, the specs were 3* upright from TM and I ordered 2* upright but all is good now and after the range session I had today I was puring them shot after shot. Only had about 10-15 toe shots out of 2 large buckets. I am still keeping a couple of those drills in my head in case my swing goes on vacation.

The drawing makes sense, to me, and others based on the reply ... A suggestion, and something that I do, a person could make one, or two, small objects (of measured equal length) to place between the alignment guides at each end, just to ensure they are parallel to one another ... our minds eye has a funny way of tricking us

Back