How do you like steve williams now?

I think he is still a great caddie - but I've always thought of him as a bonehead. This simply justifies that in my mind. Jason Sobel has a good article about and to quote him, "Through the dozen years they worked together, Williams was often criticized for failing to talk to the press, but perhaps we’re now finding out why." Exactly my thoughts. Some people just can't get out of their own way.

I believe I remember SW and TW drinking out of the same water bottle and taking bites out of the same sandwich while on the course. To me, it would seem as if they were like brothers. But even brothers can have fallings out. My guess is that money and fame had done them both in for the worse.

Looks like the person who is gonna lose out is Adam Scott. Apparently this will cost Steve Williams his job. Too bad he seemed to really raise AS's level.

It doesn't look that way. Scott said Williams' apology was enough for him, and that he would not fire him.

"Steve issued a statement and apologized and did the right thing," Scott told reporters.

"That's all there is to say about that from my side of things. He did the right thing and it's not an issue for me.

"I disagree that he should be sacked. I think everything in that room last night was all in good spirits and bit of fun and I think it probably got taken out of that room in the wrong context.

"Look, anything with Tiger involved is a story, but I value Steve's contribution to my game and while he is caddying I hope he can caddy for me."

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7A409R20111105?irpc=932

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Racist comment yes, doesn't make him racist. And not really a big deal in my book. The only reason this gets any coverage is because he was Tigers former caddy, if this was Alex Cjeka's caddy, you wouldn't have heard about this. Just another case of the press making a bigger deal out of something than it is. I think Stevie was trying to make a joke in some form and failed miserably at it.

Steve Williams strikes me as a little immature,for a man of mature years to come out with the statements he makes in public..ill advised.I think they`re a way for him to hurt Tiger to alleviate his feelings of bitterness at his sacking and the way he was perhaps treated.He really should keep his own counsel and enjoy the fortuitous position of caddying for some of the worlds best golfers.Move on and enjoy life it's been rather good to you.

If someone were to use the exact same statement that Stevie Williams used but were instead using it to describe a current politician that resides in Washington DC it would most certainly be deemed as rascist. Therefore I think it has to be viewed that way here. Stevie may have only been trying to be funny but he showed that he is certainly not very smart.

When you tell a crowd of 100plus that you meant to shove it his black arse! That is a racist remark. I don't care how you spin, the remark was uncalled for. Does it make him a racist, no. It makes him human. But please make no mistake it is a racist comment.

Agree 100% Tadashi, well said.

I'm indifferent on it. I realize it's a racist comment but in the same token, you have to wonder what was being thrown around in that room. Just because it was Steve Williams talking about Tiger, I think someone decided to make some $$$. I think what he said was wrong but I'm fairly certain he wasn't alone.

I don't give a toss whether his comments are construed as racist or not. Williams sounds like a bit of a dope but that's probably because he's a stupid Kiwi!

All I want to see is Adam Scott and Tiger Woods get paired up on Tuesday night (Aussie time) for R1 and R2 of the Australian Open this week and every day of the President's Cup next week!

Racist, Racist, Racist. There is not a black man I have ever met who would not punch me straight in the face to saying that comment about them. And every single one of them would be in the right to do so. He was using "black" as a term of insult. It was meant to be derogatory and it seceded. If I were Adam Scott I would have fired him before the start of the next round even if I had to carry my own bag. In fact I think I would have done just that to prove a point. I would rather work by myself than condone that type of behavior. If Adam keeps Steve on his bag I will have lost a ton of respect for him as a person.

took it way too far

I don't give a toss whether his comments are construed as racist or not. Williams sounds like a bit of a dope but that's probably because he's a stupid Kiwi!

Oh the irony here is fantastic. Nothing like countering racism with racism. Good work.

i read this article last night and personally, i feel what happened to the SI reporter was 100x worse than what Williams said.
let's be honest...stevie could've used a few other choice words, that may not have been so PC...
i think what he said was sort of "all in good fun" within the caddie ceremony, or whatever was going on...i mean, c'mon...he was receiving an award for verbally blasting Tiger and now he's a racist for verbally blasting him again?
someone took the joke too seriously and took it outside the ceremony, where it was spread erroneously and out of context.

again...that's just what i think, but i don't know either of these people in person...
so Stevie may very well be a racist and Tiger may very well be an a-hole.

Adam Scott issues an apology on his the facebook page. Poor guy, stuck right in the middle of the drama. Does anyone know what goes on at one of these caddy awards dinner things? I bet there's a lot of laughs and drinks and "roasting". I think Stevie probably made a poor tasted joke more than anything.

I'm going to quote this again, because it is beautiful. It's like a double-decker racism sandwich.

I wasn't offended by Steve's comment. But that isn't the point. It was racist. I wonder if the conversation would be different if Steve's joke was actually funny.

I'm going to quote this again, because it is beautiful. It's like a double-decker racism sandwich.

I wasn't offended by Steve's comment. But that isn't the point. It was racist. I wonder if the conversation would be different if Steve's joke was actually funny.

I see what you're doing. What you don't understand, b/c you're not an Australian and you've probably never been there is that Aussies and Kiwi's give each other crap all the time. It's a part of their humor. Aussie's make fun of Tasmanian's (who are also Australian) about having two heads. They make fun of Kiwi's and things they do with sheep b/c there's a 15:1 ratio of sheep to people there. Calling someone stupid is also a bit different than saying "black arse".

Should I get offended and play the race card when people call my dad "uncle daddy"? Or when people call me a redneck or a dirty Southerner?

You're trying to stir the pot here. I'm not a fan of it.

I see what you're doing. What you don't understand, b/c you're not an Australian and you've probably never been there is that Aussies and Kiwi's give each other crap all the time. It's a part of their humor. Aussie's make fun of Tasmanian's (who are also Australian) about having two heads. They make fun of Kiwi's and things they do with sheep b/c there's a 15:1 ratio of sheep to people there. Calling someone stupid is also a bit different than saying "black arse".

Should I get offended and play the race card when people call my dad "uncle daddy"? Or when people call me a redneck or a dirty Southerner?

Thank you!!!

Extremely well said.

I playing devil's advocate a little bit here, but what if Steve and Eldrick joke around like that. What if Tiger called Steve a honkey and Steve called him black in a joking manner. What if Steve and Tiger were both ok with the racial jokes. I know that Tiger and his people are not ok with it. But if they were, is it still racist?

I playing devil's advocate a little bit here, but what if Steve and Eldrick joke around like that. What if Tiger called Steve a honkey and Steve called him black in a joking manner. What if Steve and Tiger were both ok with the racial jokes. I know that Tiger and his people are not ok with it. But if they were, is it still racist?

Yes!
If I have a friend that is "okay" with me using the N word around him (I dont nor would I), that does not excuse me to use it freely. Saying something offensive is not okay just because you have someone you are close to that accepts it.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

I don't think that's appropriate. I'm not the most politically correct person on the planet, but I'm aware of my surroundings. Stevie wasn't.

I'm not disagreeing with anybody here who says Steve said something racist. I'm really not. Race comments are so touchy. I'm going to defend my devil's advocate argument, mainly because I don't believe it.

The "dumb Kiwi" comment to me is also silly and foolish, if meant seriously. But I am not going to beat that horse anymore than I already have.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

I don't think that's appropriate. I'm not the most politically correct person on the planet, but I'm aware of my surroundings. Stevie wasn't.

I agree here.

I also think that the fact that this happened at a caddies' roast gave Steve courage to make such a dumb comment.

Back