Switching to Lefty - Possibly Horrible Idea but Desparate

h0ss66

Reaction score
I'm right handed in everything and my right hand clearly dominates my golf swing, to an extreme fault (flippy release, handsy swing, etc...).

See: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?26235-Swing-Advice-Flipping-and-Desperately-Trying-to-Correct-it

I have a bum left wrist from a car accident a few years ago, which I think causes my left wrist to break down, at least from a mental standpoint. I don't have any actual physical limitations to the range of motion in the left wrist, just some tingling/popping on occasion which I think makes me resist pounding the back of my left hand toward the target.

Is there any merit to considering changing to be a lefty golfer? I feel like leading with a flat wrist would be easier if i'm using my dominant hand. And bracing against my dominant (right) side feels stronger. Obviously this would be a drastic measure and would be like starting over for me. However, I've only been playing this sport since February of this year and I think I've ingrained some bad habits playing righty, with my flippy, handsy golf swing.

I'm probably over thinking, but I've always excelled athletically until this damn sport. I do believe I have the perseverance to get my game where I want it to be.

I was bored this spring and played around with swinging right handed. Short version-I failed miserably. With that said, I have never really been successful at doing anything right handed so my expectations were low. Even though you are fairly new to the game, you may find that learning lefty may be more difficult than learning righty.

Have you worked with a swing coach/PGA professional? If not, I would consider that first before trying lefty-they may be able to change a few things in your swing to work around your swing.

Is there a brace that you could wear on your left hand?

I was bored this spring and played around with swinging right handed. Short version-I failed miserably. With that said, I have never really been successful at doing anything right handed so my expectations were low. Even though you are fairly new to the game, you may find that learning lefty may be more difficult than learning righty.

Have you worked with a swing coach/PGA professional? If not, I would consider that first before trying lefty-they may be able to change a few things in your swing to work around your swing.

I have been taking lessons since I started, average around 2 lessons a month. He has helped a lot but we haven't been able to figure out why exactly the flipping is occurring. The only difference between now and 7-8 months ago is that now I get luckier more often with my hand-eye coordination. I don't want to have a swing built around luck, I want a repeatable shaft-forward impact position.

I have been taking lessons since I started, average around 2 lessons a month. He has helped a lot but we haven't been able to figure out why exactly the flipping is occurring. The only difference between now and 7-8 months ago is that now I get luckier more often with my hand-eye coordination. I don't want to have a swing built around luck, I want a repeatable shaft-forward impact position.

Mind putting up a video of your swing?

Is there a brace that you could wear on your left hand?

I've tried some sleeves and wraps, but they seem more of a hindrance and didn't help.

I've tried some sleeves and wraps, but they seem more of a hindrance and didn't help.

Bummer. Man, that's tough. I have a hard time doing anything left handed, but I can see where you're coming from.

Bummer. Man, that's tough. I have a hard time doing anything left handed, but I can see where you're coming from.

Yea, its weird because the wrist is healed completely. I can lift weights, work out hard, play tennis, etc...but its just that flat-left-wrist thing in golf thats killing me.

I'm right handed everything except holding a bat, hockey stick or golf club. That being said, just swing a club left handed just for fun and see if it feels anywhere near comfortable. I've tried swinging right handed and it just felt wrong.

i'm left handed at most things but also right handed at some.i write left handed and play pool left handed,musical instruments left handed but swinging the golf club left handed feels weird.i can hit the ball,just not that well.

[YOUTUBE]oTZTZVkrEHM[/YOUTUBE]

You might want to look into a Tour Striker. Flip at it hitting that thing and you hit low line drives.

Or a more affordable solution, get a driveway marker and either stick it down the end of the grip or hold it in conjunction with your left hand on the club and hit slow pitch shots. It's also known as the punisher drill if you look for it online. You may flip a little at the beginning, but you sure won't want to after about 1 time of doing that.

You might want to look into a Tour Striker. Flip at it hitting that thing and you hit low line drives.

Or a more affordable solution, get a driveway marker and either stick it down the end of the grip or hold it in conjunction with your left hand on the club and hit slow pitch shots. It's also known as the punisher drill if you look for it online. You may flip a little at the beginning, but you sure won't want to after about 1 time of doing that.

Yea, I have the punisher club set up and do that drill frequently. Just haven't been able to pull it all together on my full swing.

Yes. Switch to being a lefty because lefties are better. We actually rule.

Yea, I have the punisher club set up and do that drill frequently. Just haven't been able to pull it all together on my full swing.

Understand that. I'm curious, do you have a view from down the line? Sometimes a different angle can be a little more eye opening than your standard front view shot.

Understand that. I'm curious, do you have a view from down the line? Sometimes a different angle can be a little more eye opening than your standard front view shot.

Unfortunately I don't have a DTL view. Thanks for chiming in to help, btw.

I am completely even in things I do righty versus lefty, but I wish I was a righty golfer, if for no other reason, the availability of clubs to try. For that reason alone, I would say don't switch if you can avoid it. Just my .02

Dont switch unless left handed feels natural to you. I'm a left handed golfer, but I do everything else righthanded. I used to play golf right handed, and it wasn't a huge switch for me, but I was still young. I would ask the person you take lessons from first though.

Unfortunately I don't have a DTL view. Thanks for chiming in to help, btw.

Any time. There can be a number of reasons for the flip and it's easier to see pivot stalling, arm run off, too inside to out, etc from a DTL view than a face on.

Any time. There can be a number of reasons for the flip and it's easier to see pivot stalling, arm run off, too inside to out, etc from a DTL view than a face on.

I figured out some things with my swing last night, all will not be lost. I determined that if I focus on the "skipping the stone" action with my right arm, instead of flattening my left wrist, I have less of a tendency to hesitate and my hands are more likely to be forward at impact.

I also realized that 9 times out of 10 I cannot feel the clubhead, especially with my irons, causing a herky jerky tempo where I'm just guessing. I may need to look into heavier shafts as I'm a bigger guy (6'1", 240lbs).

I'm left handed in most of what I do, but a right handed golfer. I understand completely what you mean by flipping your hands through the impact zone, because I've spent just about all season working on combating this.

Not sure if it'll help, but the main reason for me flipping my hands through impact wasn't just because I'm left handed. Turns out I wasn't clearing my hips and shoulders quick enough at impact, so I was flipping my hands at the ball in an effort to get it up in the air and flying far enough.
Instead of thinking about the hands, the thought that made the difference for me was to think about leading the downswing with my left shoulder, as if I'm 'dragging' the rest of the swing through. This created a bit more lag, giving me a better impact position with clear hips and shoulders.

Might be a thought to try.

On a really crazy note I played with a guy earlier in the year that seemed much the same as you Hoss. He tried switching to lefty and that didn't help much. After some discussion with a weird PGA pro he ended up golfing righty but switched his hand position so that his left hand was the lower one. This allowed him to feel like he hand more control of the club and instead of driving the back of his left hand to the target it was his right palm which also increased his speed and power.

I still think it's crazy but perhaps less radical then a total switch to golfing lefty.

Paulo's post above makes much more sense though skinny jeans or not.

If you can do other things left handed that you also do right handed, throw a ball, shoot a basketball, write your name, etc., then you could probably make the switch without a lot of trouble, if not it will be difficult. I have thought about putting left handed a few times.

I dont think you need to switch I just think youve been doing wrong things for so long you need to practice.

Paulo's post above makes much more sense though skinny jeans or not.

At the right temperature, the constriction helps the blood flow to the brain. Once a day.

I have thought about putting left handed a few times.

I actually did this for a season. I found my alignment was awesome, but my touch and pace were way off. May have got better given lots more time, but the switch allowed me to practice looking down the line with my dominant eye and seeing the line better...something I managed to realise and carry over when I switched back.

Back