Smokin' Joe Frazier

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Dead at 67. Man, what a left hook he had. And he could take a punch as well as he could give one. Back when being a heavyweight boxer really meant something. His three battles with Ali were something else.

Kevin

Down goes Frazier.

Hopefully this will get more footage of those classic matches on TV. Fantastic sporting EVENTS. I wasn't alive for them, but I know that they were special.

That's too bad. I remember his fights with Ali in the 70s.

That's too bad. I remember his fights with Ali in the 70s.

I also remember George Foreman literally lifting him off his feet with a punch. This was before the grill.

Kevin

Sad to see this. I've seen him a bit on ESPN Classic and man was he something. A great boxer.

Sad to see this. I've seen him a bit on ESPN Classic and man was he something. A great boxer.

More of a great slugger. Joe bobbed and weaved his way forward, punching all the way.

Kevin

Smoking Joe Frazier passed away at 67

Smoking Joe Frazier passed away at 67

This was one of the greats in Boxing. One of the great heavy weights in the sport. He will be missed!

Boxing was once such a great sport. Right now I couldn't name a heavyweight champion. And there are probably three or four of them.

Kevin

Boxing was once such a great sport. Right now I couldn't name a heavyweight champion. And there are probably three or four of them.

Kevin

After Tyson went off the reservation the heavy weight division started dropping, IMO.

Boxing was once such a great sport. Right now I couldn't name a heavyweight champion. And there're are probably three or four of them.

Kevin
Ever since the days of Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Morrison and the second coming of Foreman, it's not been as fun to watch.

sad day what a great boxer and a good person

It's more than that. Questionable judging in huge pay per view events going back to the early '90s ruined the credibility of the sport. Guys fought to assure themselves that next rematch payday, instead of trying to dominate. Truly great fights became more rare. I watched a lot of pay per views going back to the early Sugar Ray Leonard fights in the early '80s. Haven't ordered one in quite a few years after becoming disillusioned.

Kevin

Sad to see him go....Loved watching him fight back in the day.

Smoking Joe was a very good fighter and champion. My prayers for his family.

RIP Smokin joe

Sad to see him go.

Check out this YouTube of the famous March 3, 1971 fight against Ali. Frakin' epic.

RIP Joe!

RIP Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r.i.p smokin joe

I will never forget that left hook Frazier hit Ali with that put him down in the 14th round. Joe Frazier was just relentless in his attack always coming forward, hooking to the body and then to the head taking punishment and giving. The Thrilla in Manilla was one of the best fights I have seen (#3) both men were beaten to a pulp. When Joe fought George Foreman and was just destroyed it was as big a shock to me as when he(Frazier) put Ali down in the 14th round in fight one. I never thought another fighter could do that to Smokin Joe. He was one of the best in the last 60 years. It was a shame how Ali treated him after they retired. RIP Joe and thanks for all the great memories.

Back