Your "Shot Of The Year"

MarcW

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN
The year is almost over so I thought everybody could share their "Shot Of The Year" with THP.
Mine was an approach on the par 4 18th hole at Blackhawk Golf Club. A good tee shot is a 175 yard lay up, as the fairway runs out and drops downhill about 20 feet, with a creek at the bottom. The low area, rough not fairway, is about 60 yards, then it goes back up hill to where the green sits, at about a couple feet higher than the fairway. My drive rolled through the fairway and ended up about 1/4 down the hill. So now I had a 150 yard, down hill stance, with a creek just below me, and having to get it up 10 feet or so to the green. I hit a 6 iron to about 25 feet and 2 putted for par. Luckily, I did not know that I needed par to break 80, or I probably would have chunked into the creek and made double.
Let's hear yours.

My hole out for eagle at Castle Stuart in Inverness Scotland my shot of the year. I picked where I wanted to aim, wanted to land it, and the rest worked in my favour.

I holed out from the fairway - 135 yards I think? - at Windermere CC in Florida. I jumped off the plane and drove straight to the course. Played pretty poorly, but did have this one to remember.

Driving the green twice at the GA get together.

#11 at home course Wildwood Golf Club, 520 yard par 5

Holed out for eagle with a wedge from about 80 yards

Right now, I would say it was the 40 foot putt I sank to win the 16th hole of the Watson Course at Reunion during Round 2 of the Morgan Cup that CG13 and I needed to keep our match with One-T and TMex going. Of course, we'll ignore the skulled chip that put me that far away in the first place.

I have played the most golf this year than I ever have before and I could think of a few shots that would be up there for me. But the one that I always remember and tell people about is on a 98 yard par 3. The tee is elevated about 100 ft and if you dont hit the green you are in deep trouble. This is a picture of the hole

hole5.jpg

I had no choice but to hit my AW about a 1/2 swing and ended up blading it. I put the shot about 20 past the green on the other side of the water surrounding the green. While this is still in play the ball was buried in tall grass that is about 2ft tall and just dirt and mud. I used my 58* wedge and swung at it as hard as I could. Popped the ball straight about traveling about 18 yards and rolls straight into the hole for a birdie. And this by the way was my second birdie of the year. I only have 5 birdies this whole season. It was a pretty impressive shot for me.

Nothing much to brag about here. 35 or so yard chip in for birdie. Knocked a bunch of shots from 160 and in to within 5 feet but none of them found the bottom of the cup.

I have played the most golf this year than I ever have before and I could think of a few shots that would be up there for me. But the one that I always remember and tell people about is on a 98 yard par 3. The tee is elevated about 100 ft and if you dont hit the green you are in deep trouble. This is a picture of the hole

hole5.jpg

I had no choice but to hit my AW about a 1/2 swing and ended up blading it. I put the shot about 20 past the green on the other side of the water surrounding the green. While this is still in play the ball was buried in tall grass that is about 2ft tall and just dirt and mud. I used my 58* wedge and swung at it as hard as I could. Popped the ball straight about traveling about 18 yards and rolls straight into the hole for a birdie. And this by the way was my second birdie of the year. I only have 5 birdies this whole season. It was a pretty impressive shot for me.

Great recovery! That's a neat little hole there.

I posted this in the Precept ball testing thread earlier this year. They were in the process of spreading sand on the greens while I was playing. This hole is all downhill and there is a big bunker in the back of the green to catch all the shots that go long. I was 81 yards out and knew I had to fly it right to the front of the green and try to stop it from going too long. I hit the perfect high wedge shot which landed right on the front of the green and it rolled into the cup for eagle. You can see the line in the sand.

eagle.jpg

Hole 10 at Turtle Run here in Danville, little dogleg left par 4, stepped up to the tee wanting to hit a nice little draw and pulled off the exact shot I was picturing in my mind. Such a great feeling seeing that ball do exactly what I wanted it to do, I hope someday to do that again =)

I didn't have any shots that I remember this year. I didn't hole out once from off the green and I don't think I knocked one within 5 feet from over 100 yards. I guess one was when I almost hit a par 5 in two. 3 hybrid from about 220 slightly downhill. Landed on the green and rolled over. Made birdie.

I hit a couple/three at The Morgan Cup I liked a lot. And last Saturday after Hacking it around with my wife we came to the last hole. I told her I would birdie it because it might be the last hole of the season. Hit a low draw about 260 down the middle, then a knockdown wedge from 110ish to about 18 inches. That was fun.

Kevin

My best shot of this year came on our par 3 number 5 hole. Slam dunked it right in the hole for my first ever ace at 60 years old :blob::D!

Mine is this: I drove a par 4 green during league play (first time ever driving a par 4 green) and dropped about a 35 footer for eagle. What was even better was that I was getting a stroke on that hole so it was a net ace. That was the first net ace that has ever been had in that league.

Mine was in the Morgan Cup against JB and OEM. I was in a fairway bunker 135ish out and took at 9 iron and stuck it inside 8 feet to close out the match. I did hit another real good one at Grand Cypress. My playing partner hit a great approach shot on number 9 and was about 5 feet away, and I stuck one to about 3 feet. It's always nice to follow a great shot with a great one of your own.

I'd have to say making about a 35-40 foot putt for eagle on a par 5 last weekend.
One of the longest putts I've ever made!
Also, was the first time I've ever hit this green in 2.
This was the first eagle putt I've ever had on a par 5 so it was sweet to make the very first one.
Chipped one in from the fringe for an eagle but never putted one in.

Holed out from 105 for birdie on a par 5. It was the first time I have ever holed out.

First round with the Nike Pro Combos. First hole I hit my tee shot middle of the fairway. Had about 100 yards to the pin and pulled PW. So my first shot on the course with the Pro Combos and I holed the shot. It was awesome. Ended up shooting a 77 that day.

Probably not my most exciting shot, but definitely the one I remember most... I was playing Grand Lake Estates north of Houston. On the 17th hole I hit a drive down the left center and I was about 180 out. The wind was blowing about 15-20 from right to left and the flag was tucked on the front right of the green. I hit a little fade 5-iron and rode the wind (probably not the best shot choice because of the flag location, but I cannot hit a draw to save my life). The ball landed about 10 feet back right of the flag and sucked back to within a foot. Late tap-in birdies are a great way to salvage a mediocre round!

After running from my car to the first tee, I holed out from 142y on our first hole. It is 400+ so I hit the FW, then I jarred it from there.

Also I hit a few drives at the Morgan Cup that were... Long, best one was with TC when I had 105 y into a par 5 after the drive.

After running from my car to the first tee, I holed out from 142y on our first hole. It is 400+ so I hit the FW, then I jarred it from there.

Also I hit a few drives at the Morgan Cup that were... Long, best one was with TC when I had 105 y into a par 5 after the drive.

Belbs Long > Bubba Long

I'm jealous of everyone who has holed out on their approach shot. I've yet to have that happen. I've come close, but never in.

I'm jealous of everyone who has holed out on their approach shot. I've yet to have that happen. I've come close, but never in.

Perhaps in a few weeks

Back