Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons Preview

Played with these for a little bit this week and have to say that if people like forgiving, dont sleep on this set. A wonderfully forgiving set that reminds me quite a bit of some of the really forgiving sets that have come out over the last couple of years (thats a good thing). High launch, straight ball and great vertical forgiveness across the club face.

Do the hybrids fit into the lower end of the set pretty well? Any gapping or overlapping that you noticed?

Do the hybrids fit into the lower end of the set pretty well? Any gapping or overlapping that you noticed?

They do actually. Mizuno calls them DLR (direct long iron replacement). Not sure I like the name at all, seems kind of odd, but they do cover the gaps quite well.

Yea, that is a weird name.

I'll have to check them out in May.

The look of the fli-hi is growing on me. I find some of the new hybrids too clunky looking.

How are the soles on these JB? They look like they are pretty thin when I look at the pictures.

I like the look of the iron a lot. Not a fan of the hybrid. I just have yet to find a mizuno hybrid that works well for me.

How are the soles on these JB? They look like they are pretty thin when I look at the pictures.

Not all that thin. They are what you would expect for a super forgiving iron.

Not all that thin. They are what you would expect for a super forgiving iron.

Ahhh ok. I just thought the pictures gave me a little illusion to it. I'm kinda spoiled by the Razr X I guess, I mean not that a bigger sole will hurt me. Just curious.

Theyre definetly thinner than some other SGI irons but youd never be able to pass them off as a player's iron. Theyre a heck of a lot thinner than the soles on my MX-100s though!

jb, have you played these irons any more?
i was at mizuno's web site and watched a video on these. they state hits high on the toe would get better results due to the design of the iron. have you noticed this? my miss hits seem to be high on the toe. can you suggest some irons for this?
thanks

how do these compare to the wilson di11 irons?

Similar, but I found the di11s a little more in the long, high and straight area. No question these irons are forgiving, but I thought the Di11s were some of the best in the class this year.

Back