Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

I feel ya man, I know exactly what you're saying! Even about trying to get quick with the c kua shaft. The only bad range sessions I had with the driver this last season were the ones where I tried to get stupid with it. I found I could turn up juice a bit, but it had to be smooth. Smoooooth! I bet you will get that down in no time, and then you'll be standin there with a silly grin on your face too.

There have already been some grin worthy shots 3B. Really grin worthy

Not that this has any effect on how the shaft performs, but how is everyone finding the shaft? Would you consider it a smooth feeling shaft? Does it matter to you if the feeling is not exactly what you want?

Its incredibly smooth. I love feeling how it loads on the downswing since I have been using a shaft that I haven't been able to load this much. Personally I am shocked at the difference between this and the XL270 shaft.

Need some help figuring things out and I am SUPER lazy right now, sorry. What's the flex code on this shaft in "R" and "S"?

Need some help figuring things out and I am SUPER lazy right now, sorry. What's the flex code on this shaft?

Flex Code: 4212

Its incredibly smooth. I love feeling how it loads on the downswing since I have been using a shaft that I haven't been able to load this much. Personally I am shocked at the difference between this and the XL270 shaft.

Is it different than the c kua on the SL series? other than color of course

Edit: Ok, I'm dumb, they did mention on the show that it was designed specially for the black head iirc.

Is it different than the c kua on the SL series? other than color of course

Edit: Ok, I'm dumb, they did mention on the show that it was designed specially for the black head iirc.

Haha dont worry I thought they were the same shaft at first but then noticed the different flex codes

Haha dont worry I thought they were the same shaft at first but then noticed the different flex codes

Yeah, I just looked at mine its 6424. I wonder what the difference is.

Yeah stiff flex

Anyone have the flex code for the regular flex? Thanks c0ncept, this is a dramatic difference from the normal Ckua 39 that is at 6424 in stiff.

Really great info in this thread. Got me wanting to try one out bad!!

Anyone have the flex code for the regular flex? Thanks c0ncept, this is a dramatic difference from the normal Ckua 39 that is at 6424 in stiff.

I cant find it. Keep in mind the swing weight is D2 and the XL270 is D6. That is one of the big factors on its feel.

So as I’ve already written, I did try and ramp up the swing and the results were less than stellar. I did take plenty of normal swings though. After hitting some iron shots and wedges, I knew my swing was pretty good. Not great but pretty good. The driver results went right along those lines

Early on I was not hitting the ball on the screws. Hit a couple in toward the heel which resulted in low pulls. On the course those would go about 200 yards and be either left side of the fairway or left rough. Not terrible but certainly not how you want to hit it.

As I got warmed up the shots started getting better. I noticed that I had mainly a mixture of 2 types of shots. The first type of shot was a high straight shot. This one would get up pretty quickly but would just seem to stay up there forever. I kept waiting for it to just drop and it kept going. My normal shots with my other drivers tend to go this way but at the end of the flight it would just kind of drop out of the sky almost straight down. With the Cleveland Black the ball flight keeps going for just a second or 2 more and the downward path is more angled instead of a straight drop.

The second type of shot that I’ve mainly been seeing is a small fade that I love. It would probably be called a pull fade by people who know what they are talking about. The ball starts a little left and on a slightly lower trajectory than the straight high shot. It climbs slower and does not get as high as the straight shot. As it begins to drop it falls slightly right instead of straight. I really would like to develop this shot as my go to shot. I feel like I get more distance with this than the straight shot. On most of these drives I feel like I make better contact than with the straight shot.

On a few occasions I’ve seen some draws and then the various ugly ducklings but since I’m no pro I figure no driver will cure those shots. But the high/straight and the pull/fade are the 2 shots that I’ve seen most often when I just take a nice controlled swing.

Here is a video of me taking some swings from a side angle. I’m working on more of a turn instead of my usual sway. As you can see in the video I still have a lot of work to do as I’m swaying like a drunk on a cruise ship

Sweet little video CL. Love the tee flipping up in the air on the last shot - also your high long bomb shot. ...nice THP hat too! :)

Not that this has any effect on how the shaft performs, but how is everyone finding the shaft? Would you consider it a smooth feeling shaft? Does it matter to you if the feeling is not exactly what you want?

At first I was wondering if the shaft would have any whip to it, or the feeling that it does. I have had this issue with drivers I have tried in the past that try to lighten the weight for increased distance. However, I do not have that feeling with this club. For me it is very smooth.

Sweet little video CL. Love the tee flipping up in the air on the last shot - also your high long bomb shot. ...nice THP hat too! :)

I love the hat as well D

Once again golfsmith coupons work on the black line. 20% off through the 21st. Code ffn11

Ready, Aim, (Kindle) FIRE!

With tax, many members might be better off contacting Blind9Golf. THey always give THP forum members incredible deals and have the best customer service around.

With tax, many members might be better off contacting Blind9Golf. THey always give THP forum members incredible deals and have the best customer service around.

I contacted Blind9 and they have a great price for the Black Driver. She set one aside for me. Send her an email.

I contacted Blind9 and they have a great price for the Black Driver. She set one aside for me. Send her an email.

Love their customer service for fellow THPers, Patty and Dennis rock. I too highly recommend them.

This thread is awesome and I know many of us are feeling the love for the Cleveland Black. I look to see many of us here at THP giving them the #1 spot in drivers we demo soon, I am going in thinking this is the one that will be in my bag soon, we will see if it does make it. Good stuff chewie and cl, nice additions to the thread since I checked in yesterday, very nice.

Today's Riddle: When is a Regular shaft also a Stiff shaft?

The Miyazaki C.kua 39 shaft on the Cleveland 265 Black driver has a flex code of 4212(per this thread) for the STIFF shaft. The Miyazaki C.Kua 39 shaft on the Cleveland XL270 driver has a flex code of 5212 for the REGULAR shaft. Are these two almost identical shafts being called Regular by Cleveland for the XL270, but called STIFF for the Black? Can anybody make sense of this?

The Miyazaki C.kua 39 shaft on the Cleveland 265 Black driver has a flex code of 4212(per this thread) for the STIFF shaft. The Miyazaki C.Kua 39 shaft on the Cleveland XL270 driver has a flex code of 5212 for the REGULAR shaft. Are these two almost identical shafts being called Regular by Cleveland for the XL270, but called STIFF for the Black? Can anybody make sense of this?

Yes and no. yes I would say that the Black Stiff shaft is not as stout as a few others in their line, however that initial number being 4 instead of 5 plays a much bigger role than you expect. Being that it is the initial 10 inches of the shaft's bend profile, that number being different creates a completely different sensation through the swing and definitely makes the shaft appear more stable.

Having a company provide INTL Flex code is what consumers should crave and I truly hope that more companies follow suit to actually give out information rather than just saying "stiff" or "regular" because there is no standard set in golf.

I will have to just listen to JB on this one. I was a little surprised in looking up the flex code that the only shaft that came close to this shafts numbers was the reg flex C Kua. I do think this shaft is more of a firm flex than a stiff which I personally like as I think I'm in between a stiff and a regular

I will have to just listen to JB on this one. I was a little surprised in looking up the flex code that the only shaft that came close to this shafts numbers was the reg flex C Kua. I do think this shaft is more of a firm flex than a stiff which I personally like as I think I'm in between a stiff and a regular

Great info about the flex. Chunky - I find myself right in the middle as well so appreciate this info.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great thoughts testers. Really anxious to see this one with c0ncept at some point soon!

I saw these at PGA SS last night and I completely see what you all mean when talk about the looks. Love it.

Back