How much would you pay for a meal?

Once in a great while, at the right restaurant, I would pay pretty much anything. There is a place in San Francisco that we try to eat at each time we are out there and it is really pricey. Again it's worth it for the amount we eat there and get to go there.

DITTO in spades
My wife and I go somewhere nice every year for our Anniversary and never walk out for less than 350$ but alot of that is usually due to the wine. I don't mind spending good money for special occasions but my wife cooks better than most restaraunts so unless she wants a day off we usually eat at home.

The wife and I go out a couple of times a year for dinner and i will pay whatever I have to to enjoy the dining experience and great food. When i go into a restraunt i go in having a good idea of what it costs and if I am not willing to pay that much then I go somewhere else.

I went to berns for our anniversary last week. I love that place. Spent 120 without any wine and we skipped the dessert room. But it was well worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

That's blasphemy sir, you can't skip the dessert room. You have more willpower than I do it seems.

That's blasphemy sir, you can't skip the dessert room. You have more willpower than I do it seems.

I think I would have exploded, I got the 14 oz Strip, and we all know how generous they are with their portions. By the time I at the salad, soup, potato, carrots, and then Steak... there was just no room. I was cussing myself for eating the salad, I should have saved room. I'm in the minority though, I like the dessert room, but it just can't compare with their steaks.

I love going out to dinner. We usually eat at major chains or smaller restaurants and the bill usually isn't more than $75. I love steak, so we venture out to Ruth's Chris and Morton's a few times a year as well. I don't mind spending if the food is really good.

I think I would have exploded, I got the 14 oz Strip, and we all know how generous they are with their portions. By the time I at the salad, soup, potato, carrots, and then Steak... there was just no room. I was cussing myself for eating the salad, I should have saved room. I'm in the minority though, I like the dessert room, but it just can't compare with their steaks.

I usually skimp on something just so I have room. I'll eat the entire steak since I've yet to found a way to reheat it and it not lose its tenderness. Usually it's something like the potato or something else that doesn't quite get taken care of that I'll use as a side or give it to the fiance so she has a full meal when she combines her leftovers. That triple chocolate cake though is fantastic if you've never had it. Or the bananas foster. Either one is fantastic.

I dropped $250 tip included for dinner with my wife. She doesn't drink and I had 2 beers. Was steak in KC years and years ago. Worth it to me as I still remember that steak, melted in my mouth. I'll have to ask her the name of the place.

I'm a foody and love to go to the best restaurants. I've eaten at two of Kellers restaurants, The French Laundry, and at Bouchon Bistro in Vegas and any time I am in a new city I will search out a great restaurant that I have heard of. I will happily pay $400 for my wife and I for dinner at a restaurant of that caliber.

I looked at everyone's replies and feel the most like this. While my wife and I haven't been to the Keller restaurants, both of us are foodies and love to go to great restaurants. Trips and restaurants are our big splurges, we're more frugal in other parts of our lives.

Also, like many other people have said, where you live makes a big difference. My family that lives in South Carolina always has a little bit of "sticker shock" when they come to Boston and we take them out to eat.

I'm with wake and mward, berns is yummy. Good steaks....

I don't like spending a buttload of money going out to eat. $400? That's a car payment.

I don't like spending a buttload of money going out to eat. $400? That's a car payment.

Dunno Smalls, bet it wouldn't be hard to do at the Plaza in KC. That's where we ate our $250 meal. Not sure if it's as fancy as it was then, but I thoroughly enjoyed that night. Need to get the name of that restaurant. Had a great local brew as well.

i have a hard time droppin' $35 at Applebees!
i think the most i've ever spent, between just the wife and i...has been around $100.
but honestly, sometimes i think you're better off with a $20 meal...
or maybe i'm just a hick...i go to fancy places and ask for A1 and Yuengling!

Dunno Smalls, bet it wouldn't be hard to do at the Plaza in KC. That's where we ate our $250 meal. Not sure if it's as fancy as it was then, but I thoroughly enjoyed that night. Need to get the name of that restaurant. Had a great local brew as well.
We don't go to the Plaza! haha

I've dropped $400 for my wife and I, but the wine drove it up.

When we eat out regularly it's 30-75, more if it's sushi.

I'd love to go to the French Laundry, it's just not within my means at the moment.

CB, was it worth it to you to drop the coin on The French Laundry?

Just cause you spend a lot of $$$ does not mean you get a better meal. About a month ago I was in Vegas for a trade show. I took a couple of friends for dinner to some fancy chefs new place and spent $45 for a steak. What I got was a fatty piece of meat that had no real taste. I came home and that weekend I went to the local place and got a steak there for 1/3 the price and it was 1000% better.

I am cheap. Yet to find a vegan restaurant where the meals are more than $12 per entree. Needless to say, not many restaurants to choose from!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Just cause you spend a lot of $$$ does not mean you get a better meal. About a month ago I was in Vegas for a trade show. I took a couple of friends for dinner to some fancy chefs new place and spent $45 for a steak. What I got was a fatty piece of meat that had no real taste. I came home and that weekend I went to the local place and got a steak there for 1/3 the price and it was 1000% better.

I agree!! Ive also been to expensive fancy restaurants and had food that wasn't good for the price or even good in general and I've been to places that aren't fancy and have fantastic food!

I agree!! Ive also been to expensive fancy restaurants and had food that wasn't good for the price or even good in general and I've been to places that aren't fancy and have fantastic food!
Best cooked, best tasting steak I've ever had out was at a sports bar and it cost I think $13 or $14 for a nice ribeye. I ate there a lot and it was never cooked wrong and never was bad tasting. Never ever needed steak sauce to get it down.

I'm a foody and love to go to the best restaurants. I've eaten at two of Kellers restaurants, The French Laundry, and at Bouchon Bistro in Vegas and any time I am in a new city I will search out a great restaurant that I have heard of. I will happily pay $400 for my wife and I for dinner at a restaurant of that caliber.
Totally agree. We've been to both the French Laundry and Bouchon. The French Laundry is as much about the experience as it is the food. Four of us got out of there for just under $1400.00. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I'd drop a grand in a heartbeat

for a nice led TV,no way in heck would I pay some of the prices you guys would for something I'm going to shat out in two hours

I was in Vegas 10 days ago. We paid $85 for each steak and $10-$20 for each side (all four of us had 2 sides). Food was awesome. Service and atmosphere was awesome. Just for food & tip we sent just over $550. More than that was spent on drinks.

STK Steakhouse at the Cosmopolitan was just plain awesome. When the wife and I go back with friends in February, we staying at the Cosmo and definitely will have a meal or two at STK.

I'm with CB on this. for regular neighborhood places we usually drop about $100 for the 2 of us, when we go out to "Dine" usually 1-2 times a month we easily drop $300. Places like Les Halles in NYC, Alinea in Chicago, The Bazaar in LA are all places where it's not just about the food, although the food is incredible, it is about the total dining experience.
If you live near or are planning a trip to LA you have to visit The Bazaar, Chef Jose Andres is a genius!

Back