Another Slicer, Need help with Driver!

a3coronado

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello All!
I have been reading through some threads and I see there is a common theme with people slicing their driver. I too, have a bad case of slicing. It started in August and has progressively gotten worse.

This was my third season golfing and up until this summer my miss has been a hook. I posted a couple videos on here last spring and thanks to amollerud(SP?), I stopped hooking by weakening my grip and trying to get to my front foot. Now that I'm slicing I've recently tried to strengthen my grip again but I'm still slicing or hitting a pull hook.

Basically, I have lost all confidence over tee shots and my ONLY goal this winter is to build a relationship with my driver that I can trust. As of right now we are not getting along and I am about to part ways.

Thanks for any help!

a3coronado - A couple of things stuck to me other then cool dome hitting area....thats pretty slick. First, you have some good things going for you...granted there are some things that could be tweeked but the best thing about your golf swing is your ability to get the club coming down on what looks like a decent plane and it seems you have an inside to out path.

So, why would the ball be slicing is the million dollar question. The answer is clubface. With the driver, the clubface has roughly 70-80% influence on where the ball is going to end up regardless of swing path. So, if you are slicing the ball then it means your clubface is open at impact. Then, the 100 million dollar question is why....to be honest its kind of hard to be 100% on what is causing it to be open. It could be you don't know how to properly square the clubface or it could be you don't have a shaft that helps you square the clubface and it would not be a good fit for you.

What I would try to do is this. You have to get the toe of the club passing the heel of the club more through impact to close the face and produce a curvature that moves right to left in some manner. Start out with a say an 8 iron and make fairly slow swings and I want you to basically get the toe passing the heel more through impact. If done right the ball will have a low little draw on it. This is could because it tells you that you are doing it correctly but know that it will be harder to do when you are swinging at full speed....hence starting off slower is a great place to start. Work your way up to the driver and see if that helps.

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Patrick,

Thanks for the feedback! I too, have had the same question about whether or not my driver is fitted with the correct shaft because I hit a draw with every other club in my bag. I have never been fitted for anything. I have always just played stiff shaft. The funny thing is when I first purchased this driver (2 years ago) I actually hit it with a slight draw and my miss was a hook. My question is should I move to an extra stiff shaft or just a different type(brand) of stiff shaft? Also I noticed in the video of myself head on, that my right shoulder looks pretty low... or my left shoulder looks high. Is this something to be concerned about it?

Thanks again for the help!

As someone who has been battling the slice for almost a year and finally seem to see light at the end of the tunnel i couldnt see any of the issues i had to deal with in my fix. The only thing i could offer, and it goes back to what Patrick was talking about. It looks like you are using a Taylormade Superfast and if so you may be creating a bit too much whip in the shaft due to the length that is leaving the face open a bit as it comes through the ball. If this is the case you should look at a standard length and stiffer shaft.
Good luck. I know how frustrating it is to play from terrible positions off the tee.

Hey for what it is worth, my understanding is that too flexible of a shaft and you are more likely to hook/draw, and too stiff of a shaft you are more likely to slice, FYI. I know that when I went from a regular flex to stiff flex I went from snap hooks to slice for my miss.

Mark

Hey for what it is worth, my understanding is that too flexible of a shaft and you are more likely to hook/draw, and too stiff of a shaft you are more likely to slice, FYI. I know that when I went from a regular flex to stiff flex I went from snap hooks to slice for my miss.

Mark

Definitely not in every case... if I use too long of a driver or one with too much flex, that face is going to remain open and right city. I think it depends on what kind of swing you have. I have a very short swing with a quick transition and put a lot of torque on the shaft. My swing speed is now about 90, so you would think "Regular shaft" but that is not the case, at least for me... and I have been fitted and they agree with the stiff shafts. Of course, you have to be careful with what is truly "regular" and 'Stiff." Lot of variances...

my biggest problem when i slice was my grip it was too tight. i gripped so tight i couldnt release the club head just a thought.

Back