Taking your club too far inside

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
I've been struggling with taking my clubs too far inside on the takeaway and came across this instructional video by chance on Facebook (FreeBirdie page). All I did was watch the video and it gave me a good visualization of how I should start my takeaway. I hit the ball better than ever today. Thought I would share this video for anyone else having this issue since it helped me so much.

Last edited:
Thanks KB. I have definitely been working on that myself

KB, THANKS for putting up that video ! Hope it helps me as much as it's helped you !!

Thanks for sharing this, I've been working on this.

I've done this probably 500 times the past week lol. Told my coach how much better I was hitting and he said "Of course, you don't have to reroute the club anymore on the way down". Great drill that can improve ballstriking. Approved!

I've done this probably 500 times the past week lol. Told my coach how much better I was hitting and he said "Of course, you don't have to reroute the club anymore on the way down". Great drill that can improve ballstriking. Approved!

I'm glad to hear you approve Marc. It really made a big difference in contact and accuracy today. It was one of those "aha" moments for me. I'm such a visual learner that things like this really help me.

I'm having a difficult time with the out-of-body experience watching myself from above. :D

Yes, this is a great video, thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I'm working on this too as my swing has become too flat.

awesome video, definitely gotta keep this in mind for sure

Thanks for sharing KB. Going to practice this today.

TapAhoy!

Thanks for that KB. I just shot and reviewed DTL driver swings the other day and I have gotten way to flat and inside. I was wondering how I was going to fix it.

Thanks for the video KB, my big takeaway fault is always going too far to the inside, I'll have to remember this.

Yes that is a great tip. I will add one thing to keep in mind. Be careful that you don't become to handsy on the take away trying to keep the club in front of you. Try to utilize your big muscles to get the club started on the intended line of take away.
If you create a triangle with you shoulders and arms, the shoulders should start the swing. As they rotate away from the ball the club should be a good position.

Good advice Tadashi. This was something I was working on earlier in the year because I was taking my club so inside it was resulting in big misses.

Thanks for posting KB, and a tip of the hat to you Tadashi for your advice.

Speaking for myself. I started getting to inside when I started concentrating so hard on an in-to-out swing path. I really need to get myself back into lessons, and work out the full swing issues I have. But with Christmas on the horizon, money is a bit tight, so they will have to wait.

Great visual. I've seen Michael Breed on The Golf Fix talking about a similar visual called the "pizza slice" and it relates to the path of the clubhead rather than the hands during the takeaway and ball strike. He visualized it with those same alignment rods to show that the head goes straight back from the ball along the target line, but during the downswing through impact the clubhead approaches the ball from a different path which actually comes from the inside. The two paths meet at the ball and form a thin "pizza slice" behind the ball. I was trying to find a video but no dice. So even though the hands are moving along the same line, the clubhead still has to come from the inside.

Great video, I'm always trying to work on the same thing. Thats one you can practice in your living room or anywhere !

So even though the hands are moving along the same line, the clubhead still has to come from the inside.
I'd love to see that video.

Ahhh... LOVE this video!!

My main problem the last part of this season was coming WAYYYYYY too far inside which caused the shanks! It was horrendous. This video is something I can practice all of the time!

Thanks for posting this.

Back