Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

We all knew it was going to happen since I kinda am a driver HO but I just put my order in for the CG Black 10.5* Stiff, cant wait to get it. You testers def made my decision a lot easier as well, so many great reviews and great info in this thread. So thank you for making me spend more money haha.

That's awesome 10yard! Enjoy the new driver, hit it well.

Hopefully you contacted Blind9 and they were able to assist.

I didnt on this one, had already been talking about ordering it with the person I ordered it from.

That's awesome 10yard! Enjoy the new driver, hit it well.
Thanks WE, hopefully its here before there is snow on the ground haha.

We all knew it was going to happen since I kinda am a driver HO but I just put my order in for the CG Black 10.5* Stiff, cant wait to get it. You testers def made my decision a lot easier as well, so many great reviews and great info in this thread. So thank you for making me spend more money haha.
nice oeming...lol u can send me ur d2 to demo

I was treated to 9 holes on very wet course so my drives got little to no run out giving me a better appreciation of my distances. I'll write up deets later but my average was (eyeballing) just past 250. Which, I'm thrilled with and I don't think I swung that well today.

You're going to love it.

I am debating on going to Golf Galaxy friday morning now. They open at 7am, my bro in law has a 11:20 tee time for us and now my wife wants me to wait until Xmas so she can get it for me. When I want something I get it, be nice or be happy Friday?

She can buy you 2 fairways for Christmas, for the price of the driver. That's the ideal setup!

I am debating on going to Golf Galaxy friday morning now. They open at 7am, my bro in law has a 11:20 tee time for us and now my wife wants me to wait until Xmas so she can get it for me. When I want something I get it, be nice or be happy Friday?

It would seem the bolded part is the important part! :D

She can buy you 2 fairways for Christmas, for the price of the driver. That's the ideal setup!

She would by me a whole new bag if I asked, she is awesome. I just buy stuff that I want and it's hard for her at Xmas time. But that sounds like a plan Frank. I need a 3wood and have been thinking about the Mashie3, I am guessing the Black 3 is out Friday?

Test Date- November 23rd 2011
Place- ASU Karsten (front 9)
Weather- Sunny 80* with a slight breeze on a few holes.
Ball used- Taylormade Penta TP

I started the day stiff and was very sore so 2 of the first 3 holes were terrible. First hole I pulled the first shot really bad and had to hit a second that was a much softer swing and ended up somehow finding a tree branch on the right side and just dropping (still was able to hit the green from that lie with an amazing imagination shot that left me 15 feet to the pin and an easy putt I made).

2nd hole I stayed easy so that I could layup in front of the fairway bunkers and hit it exactly where I wanted.

3rd hole I tried to muscle one out into the wind but ended up hitting down on the ball on the top toe area which gave me a really short drive but only had a small fade on it and was just off the fairway.

4th hole I decided that playing from the tips was getting to me mentally and moved up a tee box...crushed a drive about 270 and gave myself a great look at the pin from 130 out.

5th hole is the hardest of all 18. Huge waste bunker right and woods left with fairway bunkers left and right to narrow the fairway. I hit a great shot dead center of the fairway and was 190 out (made par for the first time in a long time on that hole). I never would have expected I could hit a 270 yard drive that accurate on a hole that mentally I am never ready for.

8th hole I hit a great drive that hit a tree branch and just dropped but still left me a shot at the green (I am good at finding tree branches that you would never expect to hit)

9th hole is a scary hole with water left at the start of the fairway and water left from the tee box to the green. Hit a great shot dead center 250 yards into a decent wind.

All in all I had 2 terrible shots with the black today but they were both me taking bad swings. I found that I don't even feel like I swing the club because it is so light but it is still sending the ball farther then I have hit since I injured my shoulder. I like the stock grip which is something I have never said about a driver before. It has such a reliable and consistent trajectory that I just walk up to the tee box and swing and know that I am going to be exactly where I want to be (if there are no trees lol)

I do want to try this club in a 9* just for the hell of it but I really thing that the 10.5* is staying low enough and it also will have more control then the 9* would.

In comparison to my R9 I was shocked today...I hit the ball 210-220 yards with the R9 on my "control" swings and 230-250 with the CG Black. Both are very accurate but the black just comes off the face hotter and with less backspin so it gets roll out and stays lower. I am amazed how short that R9 is for me and the fact that I have been giving up so much distance by using it.

Wanted to update again after today's round. Ratings in parenthesis are what my last review was rated.

Looks - A+ (same) - I think we all agree that this club just looks amazing. I love everything about it from the all black grip/shaft/club head to the black head cover.

Feel - A+ (same) - I know exactly where my ball is going after I hit it based off what I feel in my hands. Very soft at impact but still is able to let you know when you crush a ball or hit it bad.

Sound - A (same) - Nothing changed here...so much better then the HiBore Monster XLS I used to play that would turn heads because it was so high pitched.

Distance - A+ (same) - On miss hits I am getting the same distance I did with my R9...on flushed hits I am getting much much more.

Control - A+ (same)- I struggled early today but as soon as I relaxed I had all the confidence in the world that this thing was going where I wanted it to.

I think everything "Black" and 588's

She would by me a whole new bag if I asked, she is awesome. I just buy stuff that I want and it's hard for her at Xmas time. But that sounds like a plan Frank. I need a 3wood and have been thinking about the Mashie3, I am guessing the Black 3 is out Friday?

Nice writeup c0ncept. This driver continues to sound amazing. I really want to hit it just to see how it will work for me. Thanks for the great reviews thus far! Keep it up guys!

well since I'm doing SOOOOOO much better with my new K15 than I was with the HiBore, it would be interesting to me to put my 2 week old K15 up against the Black ...... :clapp:

I'm not calling up Blind9 any time soon ..... but maybe I can get them together on a LM sometime soon ..... WHOOOT

Great write up Concept, I still am amazed that there are zero negatives about this club.

Thanks guys. The more I play with it the more "adventurous" I am getting. I have been avoiding trying to draw the club because it was never something I was consistently good at with a driver but I think when I start swinging 100% I will try to see just how much distance I can get from this thing.

Hands down the biggest plus for this club is that I am never sore after swinging it and I haven't really been able to say that about a club since my injury.

Nice write up c0ncept, if you will just miss a couple more trees you will be money with that Black :D Seriously, on that 1st hole, that was a nice par but I have never considered a 15' putt to be easy, great par actually.

Great report c0ncept. I totally agree with you on this driver. With a good swing the results are great, building your confidence and providing the right feedback necessary to improve.

I got to the range today. Need to run out now and pick up somethings put I will do my writeup tomorrow morning. Good things!!

I got to the range today. Need to run out now and pick up somethings put I will do my writeup tomorrow morning. Good things!!

Thats what I like to hear Chunky! Especially with this driver on its way to me, it seems like most of the stuff that works for you works for me so I am excited.

Thats what I like to hear Chunky! Especially with this driver on its way to me, it seems like most of the stuff that works for you works for me so I am excited.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this 10yard.

Tried the Cleveland Black @ GG tonight. It Felt nice was putting it down the middle but for comparison I put it up against a R-11 and the R -11 worked much better for me. It was worth the trip to check it out picked a a couple of gloves on the cheap.

Tried the Cleveland Black @ GG tonight. It Felt nice was putting it down the middle but for comparison I put it up against a R-11 and the R -11 worked much better for me. It was worth the trip to check it out picked a a couple of gloves on the cheap.

Glad you found something that works well for you shark. Out of curiosity what aspect of the 11 works better for you?

--
tapatalk

Im sure I have just over looked this but does anybody know the weight of the grip on the CG Black? My midsize grip I want to put on is 65grams so I am trying to figure out just how much weight I will be adding. If I recall the stock grip is only 35-40grams, heck maybe lighter lol.

Man just got back from a round and struggled mightily with this driver. Pushing right and pop ups. Just didn't have a driver swing today

Im sure I have just over looked this but does anybody know the weight of the grip on the CG Black? My midsize grip I want to put on is 65grams so I am trying to figure out just how much weight I will be adding. If I recall the stock grip is only 35-40grams, heck maybe lighter lol.

Quick google search told me it is a Golf Pride 25 gram grip.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Back