Mizuno JPX Wedges Review

I bought the JPX-800 Pro irons after a long stint with a beginner set (MGI). It was overdue for me to upgrade to an iron designed for a mid-handicapper. Anyway, I LOVE the 800-PRO irons! The only criticism I would have is that the irons have a slightly thicker top line than I would want, but the forgiveness I get is well worth it!

Like I said I love the irons, so I might have to give the wedges a shot. Although, its not going to be easy to get the tried-and-true Clevelands out of my bag....

My JPX 800 with DG Spinner shaft arrived today. Can't wait to try it out on course maybe as early as tomorrow.

a6f8417e-a2d2-8df6.jpg

a6f8417e-a42a-5891.jpg

TapAhoy!

Wow SMG that looks sweet. I was at Dicks the other day but they don't carry them. Let us know how they fare for you out on the course.

Awesome to see a "set" wedge be considered outside its set!

Very nice SMG! I have a feeling that these are going to surprise some and be a VERY solid wedge. I think many of us could use more forgiveness in the short game and combined with the stock spinner shaft these are going to be very impressive.

Looking forward your thoughts and hopefully some comparisons.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Thanks. I had considered the MP line with Spinner but opted for.more forgiveness but upgraded to Spinner for what I hope will be the best of both worlds.

TapAhoy!

Sweet setup smg! Hope they treat you well and please let us know how it goes.

--
tapatalk

Thanks. I had considered the MP line with Spinner but opted for.more forgiveness but upgraded to Spinner for what I hope will be the best of both worlds.

TapAhoy!

Looking forward to your feedback on these SMG.

Well I have a few rounds under my belt and thought I would update. Weight felt great and testing at store monitor confirmed a lot more spin. This was not too scientific as the monitor was on the fritz. I knew these had a ton more spin because once the ball hit the floor I could see it spin back to me quickly. That was all I had to go by.

CHIP SHOTS: Went to the course and my first round using these I noticed that it is a totally different feel on chip shots. I was chunking my short chips something terrible. I normally use a GW to chip so a different club may have been the issue. Keep in mind I did not get any range time in other than some chipping at home. Have had some practice time and can tell the chipping is def improving. It is a different feel with the DG Sinners for sure at least for me on longer chips.

FUll SWINGS: these clubs and shafts are fantastic. I have been anywhere from 75 to 90 yards out and have set the ball close enough for tap in birdie and par several times. This is where I really saw the combined advantages of the shaft spin and forgiveness on the JPX wedge. I am still working on yardages but playing partners have commented on these shots. Ball comes off club with higher rate of spin than my previous wedge wedges. The ball lands soft and stops quickly.

SAND SHOTS: greal feel. The ball seemed to launched higher with more spin than I usually get which made it easier to get out. I still need to work on distances to pin. But hey any out is a good out in my book. I used a 54/10 and worked well.

OVERALL: Awesome combination of forgiveness and spin. My confidence is growing with the wedge. I have never used this type of shaft before so it does take some getting used to because I can certainly feel the flex it gives you. I think it is also going to help with my tempo as well. Mizuno upgraded me for only 13 bucks and it was well worth it. I could see this shaft working for me as far up as GW too. I may have to try one out. I am quite impressed with this configuration.

Downside: if there was one I would say Mizuno should offer more loft/bounce configurations in the JPX wedge line.

I personally think this will be an upgrade people.should consider. So far its.working for me. I will post more updates as I progress.

SeeMoreGuy

TapAhoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, SMG. Sounds like you found a set that really works well for you, especially on those full shots!

Thanks Hawk. So far so good.

TapAhoy!

Nice update SMG. These wedges sound really solid, though I'm surprised your full shots are getting up quickly. I thought the DG Spinners had a very high flex point that caused a steeper angle of attack which makes for lower trajectory with more spin. Either way, glad to hear that you're getting along with these wedges!

Good catch D. I guess my proof reading skills were asleep.this morning.

TapAhoy!

It may seem faster to me coming from a standard shaft but I can def see the added spin stopping on green. I like my swing with these. Did some chipping last night and am getting more used to them. Need more range time to get distances down.

TapAhoy!

Wow now I teally want to try some DG Spinners. They sound great.

Great feedback SMG!! I totally agree with you in wishing that Mizuno offered a little more loft/bounce configs.

Well I have a few rounds under my belt and thought I would update. Weight felt great and testing at store monitor confirmed a lot more spin. This was not too scientific as the monitor was on the fritz. I knew these had a ton more spin because once the ball hit the floor I could see it spin back to me quickly. That was all I had to go by.

CHIP SHOTS: Went to the course and my first round using these I noticed that it is a totally different feel on chip shots. I was chunking my short chips something terrible. I normally use a GW to chip so a different club may have been the issue. Keep in mind I did not get any range time in other than some chipping at home. Have had some practice time and can tell the chipping is def improving. It is a different feel with the DG Sinners for sure at least for me on longer chips.

FUll SWINGS: these clubs and shafts are fantastic. I have been anywhere from 75 to 90 yards out and have set the ball close enough for tap in birdie and par several times. This is where I really saw the combined advantages of the shaft spin and forgiveness on the JPX wedge. I am still working on yardages but playing partners have commented on these shots. Ball comes off club with higher rate of spin than my previous wedge wedges. The ball lands soft and stops quickly.

SAND SHOTS: greal feel. The ball seemed to launched higher with more spin than I usually get which made it easier to get out. I still need to work on distances to pin. But hey any out is a good out in my book. I used a 54/10 and worked well.

OVERALL: Awesome combination of forgiveness and spin. My confidence is growing with the wedge. I have never used this type of shaft before so it does take some getting used to because I can certainly feel the flex it gives you. I think it is also going to help with my tempo as well. Mizuno upgraded me for only 13 bucks and it was well worth it. I could see this shaft working for me as far up as GW too. I may have to try one out. I am quite impressed with this configuration.

Downside: if there was one I would say Mizuno should offer more loft/bounce configurations in the JPX wedge line.

I personally think this will be an upgrade people.should consider. So far its.working for me. I will post more updates as I progress.

SeeMoreGuy

TapAhoy!

Dam - I still get a high ball with Spinners, mainly because you're still working with a wedge. I don't even think the difference is visible to my eye on full shots, but some may feel different.

Great update SMG! These wedges are sneaky good, and I'm so glad you're liking them buddy. Nothing like a touch of forgiveness when you're trying to attack a pin.I just wonder if the lower CoG is helping get the ball up more for you.

Good point SW. That could be it.

TapAhoy!

JB,

Any idea if they are going to offer these in lefty in the future? I see that the JPX 800 irons are available in lefty so hoping these are too....

Quick up date on theses. I am gaining more confidence with them every round. Getting better with yardages. Had a several 50 - 65 orders yesterday and used 58* to stick the ball to tap ins. Had some fringe ships and am getting the spin and distance more consistent. The more I use them more I am glad I added the spinner shafts. I did try and get too PGA-ish on a couple shots shanked them right. Recovery shots saved me. Can't get too cute even with the forgiveness. Considering adding a 50* because I like them so much. Shot 43 on 9 holes yesterday thanks to these wedges. I missed three putts I should have made but that's golf.

TapAhoy!

Just received my 50* yesterday to go with my 54 and 58. Can't way to get it dialed in.

TapAhoy!

Update. I really think this one may be the best of the lot in my bag. Everything I hit from 95 or so launched high on full shots and stopped quickly near the pin. I even like this one the best on 50 yard shots as well. A lower trajectory on short shots but still with increased bite sue to the spinner shaft. A def keeper in the bag as it is versatile from everywhere.

TapAhoy!

Back