First Visit to Texas

gapwedge

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm making my first visit to Texas on the 18th thru the 20th of November. I'm taking my daughter to visit the campus at SMU on Friday and she has an audition for thier dance program on the 19th, a perfect time for some golf as she has a good friend that will take care of her for that day. So I need some recomendations as to where to play and what the course are like. I heard they are truly wonderful this time of year and most generally accessable. Any help from my felloow Texan THP'ers would be appreciated. Thanks. Gap

Theres only two things in Texas, steers and....well you know.

Theres only two things in Texas, steers and....well you know.

Living in Indiana my life, I was always told that there's only two things in Iowa........LOL and Texas of course....

And vegans. LOL

Way to hijack his thread guys! :D

Gap - I am sure some others will chime in with some Dallas courses for you to play but I am just not too familiar with them since I play more courses in the suburbs than actually north Dallas.

I would offer to come play at my course but we are having a Presidents Cup club event next weekend. Hope you enjoy the visit!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

If you want to splurge, try TPC Craig Ranch ('08 Nationwide Tour Championship or Cowboy's GC (Best Public course in DFW).

Tenison Park, where Trevino grew up playing.

Lots of courses are prepping for winter. When you call, ask about seeding.

This link is the local golf mag's rankings for Best Public Golf for 2011 in the DFW area
http://www.myavidgolfer.com/articles/?view=department&department_id=45&issue_id=217

Below are the magazines rankings. If it's on the Dallas side of town, I put an * by it.
Top-5 Luxury ($75 and higher)
  1. The Tribute Golf Club* (All British Open holes. Neat track.)
  2. Heritage Ranch Golf and Country Club*
  3. Sky Creek Ranch Golf Club
  4. Texas Star Golf Course
  5. The Old American Golf Club*(Next to The Tribute. Links style. Good track. Not an easy course.)
Top-5 Mid-Priced ($51-$74)
  1. The Golf Club at Fossil Creek
  2. Tierra Verde Golf Club
  3. Coyote Ridge Golf Club*
  4. Indian Creek Golf Club – Creek Course*
  5. The Golf Club at Frisco Lakes*
Top-5 Value-Priced ($50 and Under)
  1. Grapevine Golf Course
  2. Mansfield National Golf Club
  3. Sherrill Park Golf Course – Nos. 1 and 2*
  4. Cedar Crest Golf Course* (Hosted 1927 PGA Champ)
  5. Country View Golf Course
Best Overall Value
  1. Grapevine Golf Course (just north of DFW Airport)
  2. Best Value Under $70: Tierra Verde Golf Club
  3. Best Value Under $60: Grapevine Golf Course
  4. Best Value Under $50: Sherrill Park Golf Course*
  5. Best Value Under $40: Mansfield National Golf Club
Other good one's Not Ranked
  1. Bridlewood Golf Club*(just reopened with new greeens), Chase Oaks Golf Club*(used to be Fred Couples home track when he lived in DFW)
  2. Garden Valley Golf Club, The Lakes at Castle Hills* (might be closed for renovations),
  3. Pecan Hollow Golf Course*, Pine Dunes Golf Club
  4. and Stevens Park Golf Course*

Where are you staying Gap? How far do you want to travel from where you will be staying? I would love to play with you also but I am playing in the Golf channel AM Tour that weekend.

Good list staticline! My list broken down by price:

If you have $100
1. Cowboys
2. Texas Star (but in mid cities area)
3. Castle Hills
4. Tribute (I actually put 2, 3 and 4 all in the same group)

If you have $50
1. Grapevine (never played but hear it's nice)
2. Twin Creeks (Allen)
3. Frisco Lakes

Don't waste your $$$ on Craig Ranch.....very overrated in my humble opinion. Have fun while your here...weather should be good!

Even this Eagles fan has to admit Cowboys is a pretty cool place. Excellent course including the Texas Star on one of the fairways. I really enjoyed Tribute as well.

Cowboys, Tribute, Tour 18 all good courses.

And yes we have great beer, Shiner tastes better in Texas!

If you are interested in history at all play Cedar Crest or Tenison Park. Cedar Crest hosted a PGA Championship back in the 1920s (30s?) that Walter Hagen won, it is a great layout and has features you won't see everywhere else. Tenison is where Lee Trevino played a lot of golf when he was starting out. He played the Glen Course there which is narrow with lots of trees but the greens are not in great shape. The Highlands Course there at Tenison is more modern and has better than average greens, very good greens in fact, and has lots of bunkers so bring a sand game. These are both City of Dallas public courses so they won't be overpriced, depending on when you go it is less than $50. Also if you get to Fort Worth try Fossil Creek. The Tribute is just plain fantastic, great place to play. Buffalo Creek in Rockwall is also a nice layout.

Thanks to all you Texans for the golf course suggestions. I played at Tenison Highlands course off of I 30 and enjoyed myself. Got hooked up with a couple of local boys, one from Frisco Tx and I forgot the other place already. Your courses are somewhat crowded, but after it was cold one day, it warmed up enough to play the next day. As far as steers go, I saw a few of those and had a little chuckle on that. I see they still sell Lonestar beer and I partook slightly, keeping an eye over my shoulder for the, you know, "other" part of steer,beer, whatever! The people in Texas are very nice and I felt right at home, SMU has a beautiful campus and if my daughter ends up there, I won't worry too much about her well being. Thanks again for you kind input, I enjoyed Texas and hope to return again. Ever in Virginia, give me a "howdy" and I'll repay the hospitality, sorry.....no steers in Virginia> Gap

Glad you had a good time Gap, SMU is indeed a beautiful campus and in a very good part of town. Glad you got some golf in while you were here. Hope you found time for some BBQ too!

Had the bbq, that was great as well. Wish I could get bbq here in Va without the darn coleslaw on top. Gap

Had the bbq, that was great as well. Wish I could get bbq here in Va without the darn coleslaw on top. Gap

Gap your eating at the wrong local BBQ joints! How was the VA golf get together?

Been going to "Bills BBQ" and only tried a couple other places in Richmond. Seems the Smokey pPig in Ashland has closed, so that leaves only occasional Carolina style when I go to Raleigh on trips. Been making my own lately, and that Texas Style is the best since a trip to KC! The Va get together was a lot of fun for the four of us, and we have a bigger one in the planning stages for May 2012 at the same course. I'll keep you posted and get a "friend " request to you so I can keep you in the loop easier.

Seeing that this is a Texas thread are of any of the locals familiar with Timmaron? I'm in early stages of being relocated to DFW and we have targeted a few homes in Southlake, 3 of which are in this golf course development. Let me know if you are familiar with the course and if it is a quality, repeatable play.

Thanks

Seeing that this is a Texas thread are of any of the locals familiar with Timmaron? I'm in early stages of being relocated to DFW and we have targeted a few homes in Southlake, 3 of which are in this golf course development. Let me know if you are familiar with the course and if it is a quality, repeatable play.

Thanks

Excellent track. Club corp course. Couple of tour pros play out of there.

Excellent track. Club corp course. Couple of tour pros play out of there.

Thanks for the feedback. My wife and I looked at 3 houses at Timmaron today and 1 across the street at Foxbourough. Nice neighborhoods. A bit of a different feel than we are used to in NC but very nice. It's intersting, right now we are 15 to 20 minutes to civilization, here it's 5 minutes but even at that you don't feel too congested.

I was born and raised in Southlake. My favorites are Sky Creek Ranch and Cowboy (obviously.)

For the value, Grapevine cannot be beaten.

Thanks

I was born and raised in Southlake, let me know if you have any questions.

Back