Official 2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread (Spoilers)

North Carolina is putting themselves out of this game. Las Vegas isn't even doing anything exceptional, but UNC is playing awful defense and taking bad shots. Pathetic.

Maybe I looked at the game through dark blue-tinted glasses, but I thought that UNC's defense was the reason why they lost the game last night. Sure, UNLV hit a bunch of threes, but some of those shots were wide-open. Also, UNLV got a number of offensive rebounds in the second half, that shouldn't happen against a frontcourt that is all going to the NBA next year according to most experts. Their frontcourt is big, but other than Zeller, they can get pushed around a little bit. Also, they need to improve on their perimeter defense, something that UNC and Duke both share. Kendall Marshall was having trouble staying in front of the UNLV guards last night.

TC is right, it's good that this kind of loss happened to them in November instead of March. However, they need to improve their defense a bunch because they won't be able to just outscore teams in March. Of course, I fully expect UNC to bounce back at home against Wisconsin on Wednesday.

I'm really looking forward to Duke at Ohio State on Tuesday. It's Duke's first road game of the year, the atmosphere shold be electric in Columbus.

UNC's defense was awful last night. The got wrecked by the high screen over and over and for some reason didn't make any adjustments. I just don't get it. Mix that in with the fact that one of the best front courts in the nation was allowing offensive rebounds left and right, and you've got a recipe for disaster. AND, they forced up awful, contested shots the whole game! Geez, just pound it inside. They have the best frount court in the nation by far. And they just let Barnes shoot contested jumpers all night. The few times they did give it inside, they scored easily with a few and-ones. UNC lost last night's game. The only thing UNLV did to win it was make a few threes, and if that's all it takes to deal UNC a loss, they'll have more than their fair share this year.

UNC's defense was awful last night. The got wrecked by the high screen over and over and for some reason didn't make any adjustments. I just don't get it. Mix that in with the fact that one of the best front courts in the nation was allowing offensive rebounds left and right, and you've got a recipe for disaster. AND, they forced up awful, contested shots the whole game! Geez, just pound it inside. They have the best frount court in the nation by far. And they just let Barnes shoot contested jumpers all night. The few times they did give it inside, they scored easily with a few and-ones. UNC lost last night's game. The only thing UNLV did to win it was make a few threes, and if that's all it takes to deal UNC a loss, they'll have more than their fair share this year.

They were trying to pound it inside, and did so for the first 5 or 6 minutes of the game. UNLV collapsed well, and it seemed like every time Zeller got the ball, he got stripped or hacked thus causing a turnover. It was a physical game and the refs let them play, which I enjoy. I think Zeller is terrible defensively. He can't block shots, and he doesn't box out. The crashed the boards hard and made tons of outside shots. Anyone that can extend UNC's defense like that will have an advantage. The high pick and roll has been UNC/Roy's nemesis. Any team with an offensive point guard will hurt them by penetrating and scoring or dishing. It's a simple recipe and one that Roy seems to have problems solving. I would like to see him use Strickland/Hairston on opposing teams PG's and let Marshall guard their #2 guard. Roy's always been a headscratcher for me. He never uses a timeout when I think he should. He should've stopped that 2nd half run by UNLV but he didn't.

I can't believe me and TC agree on something, I'm glad UNC got knocked out too!

I can't believe me and TC agree on something, I'm glad UNC got knocked out too!

Man, I'm a realist. I'm not some weird/crazy/delusional fan.

Duke made Michigan look like children despite the score IMO. Just clearly superior. Their (Duke's) only problem I forsee could be Austin Rivers. I think he's a bit too selfish for Duke's team IMO.

In other news, nobody is going to be able to stop UNC. I could even see them going undefeated, which is a pretty big deal with their schedule. Their front line is miles better than any other.

<eating crow> : )

Man, I'm a realist. I'm not some weird/crazy/delusional fan.
Yeah I know, I'm just giving you crap! As for me I don't expect alot from Duke this year. To be honest I'm surprised they haven't dropped a game yet. I do expect big things from them next year though.

Duke-Ohio State about to start! Some guys named Lebron and D-Wade are in attendance.

Duke-Ohio State about to start! Some guys named Lebron and D-Wade are in attendance.

I'm pretty pumped for this game, though I expect Duke to win handily. Prove me wrong OSU! And who are those other guys you mentioned? :D

I'm pretty pumped for this game, though I expect Duke to win handily. Prove me wrong OSU! And who are those other guys you mentioned? :D

I actually expect Ohio State to win....Duke's first true road game of the year, against a tough opponent. I hope Duke proves me wrong!

I actually expect Ohio State to win....Duke's first true road game of the year, against a tough opponent. I hope Duke proves me wrong!

I think Duke is overrated, but I think Ohio State is REALLY overrated. I don't think Ohio State is a top 5 team. But that's just me.

What a surprise, Ted Valentine is trying to make himself the star of the game.

I'm trying to figure out which team's defense was worse, UNC vs. UNLV a few nights ago or Duke tonight vs. Ohio State. This is absolutely unacceptable for a Duke team to play defense this badly.

I'm trying to figure out which team's defense was worse, UNC vs. UNLV a few nights ago or Duke tonight vs. Ohio State. This is absolutely unacceptable for a Duke team to play defense this badly.

UNC for a short stint there I think. For a while I thought UNC was helping Las Vegas to score. Over a whole half, that Duke defense was ugly. So terrible. Is it too late to take back what I said about Duke winning? :D

UNC for a short stint there I think. For a while I thought UNC was helping Las Vegas to score. Over a whole half, that Duke defense was ugly. So terrible. Is it too late to take back what I said about Duke winning? :D

Ohio State shot over 60% from the field in the first half, that is insanely good.

For a Duke fan, this feels just like the game vs. Arizona in the NCAA Tournament last March, the other team is a runaway freight train.

Ohio State shot over 60% from the field in the first half, that is insanely good.

For a Duke fan, this feels just like the game vs. Arizona in the NCAA Tournament last March, the other team is a runaway freight train.

Yep that game was ugly as well. I think Duke can come back but the defense has to improve and they'll have to drain a lot of treys.

In general I'm a UF fan. But man.... I love NCAA basketball in general. Come on March and bring some Cinderella's with you.

Alex

tOSU laying the beats down. Never thought I would see a Buckeye basketball team beat Duke by 22.

Badgers vs Tarheels.

Kevin

Badgers slowing them down pretty good so far. Both teams shooting like crap.

Kevin

Badgers slowing them down pretty good so far. UNC is shooting like crap, WI is shooting like normal.

Kevin

FIFY

Even though that's probably more true in years past.

Minnesota has the worst home court in the college basketball.

Well UNC played very good defense at the end of the game. Good thing they didn't lose again.

Well UNC played very good defense at the end of the game. Good thing they didn't lose again.

Kind of amazing to me that a program like UNC can say that Wisconsin is a quality win.

Back