Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

I'm sort of becoming the same way. I wonder what it is that makes the difference? I have to think that much of it is mental. Then again, tee shots are off of nice, even lies wheras shots into the green can be challenging even from the fairway.

I can only speak for my own game of course, but I make the decision based on ball flight and course conditions mostly. If I'm hitting into long par 3's, I feel like I can get a higher, softer landing flight from a hybrid. Whereas to a fairway, I can get a lower, longer running shot from the tee with the iron.
Course conditions - if I'm likely to be hitting long approaches from tricky rough, I would choose hybrid every time. The mental aspect is there too though. Think I could be trying to hit a long iron harder than I would a hybrid in certain situations.

I'm a beginning player...been playing since July of this year...and anyway I went from a set of Di11's to the original FG Tours (V1, if you will) and absolutely love them. I think more than anything, these clubs have allowed me to feel how I was hitting the ball incorrectly, whereas the Di11's were these huge mallets that masked all the feedback. I'm not sure if it's the feedback, or maybe better weighting or what, but my ability to make good contact with the ball has drastically improved since switching to the FG Tours.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this review and the job you guys are doing. Just wondering...what are the major differences between the previous FG Tour irons and these V2's?

I'm a beginning player...been playing since July of this year...and anyway I went from a set of Di11's to the original FG Tours (V1, if you will) and absolutely love them. I think more than anything, these clubs have allowed me to feel how I was hitting the ball incorrectly, whereas the Di11's were these huge mallets that masked all the feedback. I'm not sure if it's the feedback, or maybe better weighting or what, but my ability to make good contact with the ball has drastically improved since switching to the FG Tours.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this review and the job you guys are doing. Just wondering...what are the major differences between the previous FG Tour irons and these V2's?

Glad you are enjoying your irons. I actually liked both sets you mentioned. They are very different, but both have some really good qualities to them.

Here is a post I made recently regarding the V1's vs V2's.

They are different in quite a few ways from what I've read. I've hit the original FG Tours, but it was quite awhile ago. They seemed to feel heavier to me, but I'd really have to try them out side by side.

Key differences:

1. Shaft is KBS Tour instead of the TT Dynamic Gold
2. The leading edge was changed in some way, but I'm not really sure I can explain it.
3. There is supposed to be less offset.

From what I understand they took the feedback from their tour players who where playing the FG Tours and used that to come up with the new design. I have not hit the original FG Tours but I did see them at a store the other day and V2's seem quite a but different in a very good way.

How do you like the split set you have in your sig? Any distance gap issues? I really like the short irons in the V2's but would like a little more forgivness in the long irons and like the idea of a split set.

From what I understand they took the feedback from their tour players who where playing the FG Tours and used that to come up with the new design. I have not hit the original FG Tours but I did see them at a store the other day and V2's seem quite a but different in a very good way.

How do you like the split set you have in your sig? Any distance gap issues? I really like the short irons in the V2's but would like a little more forgivness in the long irons and like the idea of a split set.

I got these FG Tours for a really good price so I just couldnt pass them up, even though I knew the V2's were on their way.

Anyway, the split set is working very well. I do have a bit of a loft gap there between my FG 7 and the Di11 6 (due to the Di11's loft creep, it's lofted like a 5). But what's weird is that on a solid shot, I actually find I hit the FG's longer than the same numbered club in the Di11's (even considering the loft creep). So that gap isn't really all that bad. Lately I've been trying to play the entire FG set except for the 3 iron on practice rounds, and having good success. Still struggling with consistency on 6-4 but finding that I'm hitting the FG long irons almost as well as the Di's..so I think I'm pretty close to just playing the full FG set all the time now. But having the combo option as a transition is an excellent way to ease into a set like these.

Glad you are enjoying your irons. I actually liked both sets you mentioned. They are very different, but both have some really good qualities to them.

Here is a post I made recently regarding the V1's vs V2's.

Thanks for that info Hawk. While I don't think I'll be in the market for irons any time soon as I'm very happy with my FG's, I think it would be worth trying the V2's when they're available at my Pro Shop just to see how they feel.

Gamed a mixed bag again yesterday, carrying both the 5-PW of the V2s as well as my 2.0s, wanted to switch back and forth between the sets here and there to see what kind of thoughts would be shaken up. A few things that I learned from my round;
  • I prefer the short irons from the V2s. I have hit these well from the time I got them, and I have adjusted to them quite nicely. I have grown to prefer the look at address of the thin top line and smaller club head of the V2 over my 2.0s. I feel that with the short irons of the V2s I can cut through the turf easier and really hit the ball nicely, more so than I can with the 2.0s. Probably more of a mental thing with this though.
  • I know for my game, a more forgiving GI iron is needed for me in the longer irons. I find that I can hit my 2.0 long irons better on a more consistent basis than I can the V2s, plus the added distance of the long irons of the 2.0s transitions nicely to my hybrids, without having to go with a 3/4 iron.
  • The V2 PW is quite versatile. I wish I would have started working on the short game practice area sooner with this. I really enjoy taking the PW, and hitting shots from various distances in to the green.
  • I had at one time really struggled with my distance control with the V2s. After working with them for a while now, I feel that I can better control my distance on my shots.
  • While I am on the distance control thought; With the V2s, I find myself often taking an extra club, and then hitting a "lazy/easy" swing. For me, I find that prevents me from catching them fat or thin.
  • I rarely use a tee with the V2s on Par 3s. For some reason, I feel that I hit them much better from the deck, and I feel that I miss high on the face when I have the ball on a tee (regardless how high I tee it).
  • Lately, I have had some nice swings with the longer irons, even if they still give me fits at times, I still like working with them. I captured the shot with the 6 iron from about 185ish the other day, and that shot gave me a bit of confidence with the longer irons. I hit a 5iron for a second shot on a short par 5 on Sunday, nice ball flight, straight on line. Measured it out to 196 yards. Leaving myself with an easy chip up to the green. Probably one of the best shots I have had with the 5 iron.
I am really looking forward to these hitting the shelves, as I am curious to hear what other folks think about these. Like Hawk said, they are a great iron, a very solid set, and visually stunning. I still hold to one of my original thoughts with these irons; The fell of the V2s on a well struck shot is hard to beat, such a smooth feel even when cutting through the turf. Smooth, with little resistance, its great.

And to end this update; The could have been my shot of the day/life but wasnt; 155 yard Par 3, #11. I took my 8iron out of my bag and addressed the ball. Swing felt good but I caught the ball so thin it wasnt funny. The green was slightly elevated, and my shot was hopping/skipping dead on line with the flag and rolling straight up the hill to the green. The guys I was playing with thought it was going in, but I figured it would just die as it was so wet. We had a laugh, and joked that it would be fitting that my first ever hole in one was a mis-hit, thinned shot with the V2 8iron, the club I love to brag about. We got up to the green, and my bright yellow e6 was nowhere to be seen. We started laughing, so I went and checked the hole, but then found it down the back end of the green. This thinned shot went every bit of 200 yards, up and down the back of a green. It would have been a heck of a story, and funny at the same time.

Good thoughts, war.eagle! Over time I've really started to appreciate the short irons in this set more and more. I think some of that is because I'm actually hitting them a little more often these days and some improvements in ball striking has allowed me to really get the most out of them. I agree that I can't wait until they come out as I think we'll start seeing some new folk popping up with lots of questions.

LOL at that shot, btw!

I cant wait for some folks to get their hands on this set and offer up their thoughts and questions, will be interesting to see.

And, with some of my shots lately, that would have been a fitting first every ace, lol.

Hawk - I was digging through a few other iron threads last night trying to get an idea of how the v2's compare to a few other irons out there. Wanted to see how you felt they stack up against the TM CB's.

war.eagle - overdue in catching up here but it is just downright funny how similar these and and the Pro Combo's sound. I have hit that same thinned shot so many times and find it amazing what I get away with.

As you guys said, it will be nice to see other golfers get these in their hands to experience what you guys have. I definitely want to hit these at the demo day if they are there.

GE irons only being for single digits is a big misnomer in my opinion.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I want to thank the testers that participated in this iron testing. They did an incredible job and this testing is now complete.

Thanks to Wilson Staff and THP for the opportunity to test these irons. They really opened my eyes to the Wilson Staff line and the products the offer. Hopefully some folks will give this set a try, as I think they will be very pleased with the performance they see from this set.

I also enjoyed this testing guys, well done. Seems like these are some legit sticks that offered something wonderful for all of you. Thanks for all the hard work.

I wanted to thank Wilson Staff and THP again for the chance to test drive these irons. I can't wait until they are available here in the states so others can chime in. They are a club to take a look at in 2012 and I hope people give them a shot next time they are shopping for irons.

Great job done here by all 3 testers!!

I must ask, are these staying in the bags?

Tappin' from my iPad!

Tappin' from my iPad!

The last few rounds, I have been carrying both my 2.0s and this set. I find myself grabbing the v2 short irons but going to the 2.0s for the long irons. I think I might be running with a setup like that for a while, even if it seems kind of odd. I just really like the V2 short irons here, but have just not be able to find consistency with the long irons.

Honestly, I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I need to get a few rounds with just my 2.0s again, and see how things go and will then decide. Maybe my own V2/2.0 combo set?

Thanks war.eagle. That makes complete sense and is somewhat similar to what I did just after struggling with the long irons. The blade/GE feel of the 6 through PW are just awesome in this style of club.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Thanks Cookie!

My answer is very similar to WE. I am going to keep the 8-PW in the bag but I am currently looking for a more forgiving option for the longer irons. I think I will wait until after the PGA show to see what all the new options are. I am a bit shocked to report that I do enjoy hitting the V2's more than my Mp 53's.

Oh wow. That went fast!

Huge thanks to THP and Wilson Staff for doing this with these irons. I had a ton of fun, learned so much about my iron game, and felt like I improved it as well. It really took me out of the box and I appreciate it.

I'll be keeping them in the bag until the MC. I've moved to the 5-PW with two hybrids set up right now and I really feel comfortable with it. I'll be updating this thread over time as well since I'll still be hitting them. I think they are as solid of an offering in the genre as there comes and I hope people get out there and hit them.

This was one of my favorite testings I've seen. I still maintain that these are the best looking irons I've ever seen. I want to hit these in a bad way. They atrract me fiercely.

This was one of my favorite testings I've seen. I still maintain that these are the best looking irons I've ever seen. I want to hit these in a bad way. They atrract me fiercely.

Glad you liked the testing D, and I agree that these are in the top of the list of good looking irons. Hope you get The chance to hit, I think you would really like them.

Glad you liked the testing D, and I agree that these are in the top of the list of good looking irons. Hope you get The chance to hit, I think you would really like them.

I hope so too. Now to figure out how to explain to my parents where several hundred dollars went because if I hit these and like them, they may be taking a ride home with me against my will. :D

I did get a chance to play a 9-hole practice round, 18 hole real round, and some time on the sim over the weekend.

I've been waiting to update in the hopes that I could generate something new to talk about, but I really don't have much. I had a normal time with my iron game. Hit and missed greens. Hit good shots with some fatties mixed in. I was playing a harder covered ball and the greens were really firm, so I did have some big bouncers off the back.

My distance continues to be longer now than it was 3 months ago. It's still sort of confusing to me and I almost feel like I'm learning them all over. I keep assuming I'm going to be shorter due to the temps, so I club up, but then find myself missing long. You don't know how bad I want to hit these things in some nice 75°, windless weather for a few weeks so I really know where I'm at with them. With the MC coming, I'll likely not have much of a chance to do that next summer.

The clubs are holding up nicely, though I do look back at times and wish I'd got some iron covers before all of this. They just have the typical dings from riding around in a cart that you'll get on a soft metal club and the chrome finish accentuates that. The cavity and badging have held up very well. The grips have lost some of their tack, but I haven't washed them once. I'm trying to decide if I should wash them up or just regrip them with some THP grips. It seems like a waste to tear the Lamkins off since they really are in good condition, but the THP grips sure would look sweet.

I get a lot of compliments on the irons from people who see these in my bag. I like to see other peoples' reactions to them being from Wilson Staff since they are such a nice looking iron. It really surprises some people and I'm glad that they can see in person just what these guys are putting out there right now.

Wanted to stop in and say thanks to the 3 testers. You guys did a very good job at answering questions and talking about the highs and lows of these irons. They are definitely something I look forward to checking out in the future.

Back