Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

JB, I know you said this is lower spin, and lower launch than your Cleveland Black, but is it considered a "low spin/low launch" driver?

No, not really. Lower spin than the Black, yes. Similar spin (according to Cleveland slightly lower in the right hands) than the 290. Increased face size overall did not have much effect on the spin dynamics according to Nate.

I find myself coming to this thread daily just to look at this beauty. As companies like Cleveland continue to produce great looking, yet solid performing equipment like this I can see people out there with driver/wedge collections almost like many do putters now. I cannot wait to get one of these in my hands.

No, not really. Lower spin than the Black, yes. Similar spin (according to Cleveland slightly lower in the right hands) than the 290. Increased face size overall did not have much effect on the spin dynamics according to Nate.

Well this now really has me pondering. I love my 290 and similar or possibly a little less spin has me really intrigued. I really want to hit this driver.

Thanks for the numbers and info JB. It will be interesting to see some results with the White shaft in it. Could be a perfect combo (for you).

Thanks for the numbers and info JB. It will be interesting to see some results with the White shaft in it. Could be a perfect combo (for you).

Based on numbers alone, it would be hard for anything to be more perfect than above, but we can always hope.

Based on numbers alone, it would be hard for anything to be more perfect than above, but we can always hope.

True. I don't know much about the White shaft, but numbers wise I'd think if it could keep roughly the same amount of spin and raise the launch angle by a degree or so, I think that could be perfect.

Would you say the current shaft looks like a real low flight when hitting it, or just on the vector it's a touch low? I know you said you guys don't get much roll out, but were you seeing any increase with this lower launch?

True. I don't know much about the White shaft, but numbers wise I'd think if it could keep roughly the same amount of spin and raise the launch angle by a degree or so, I think that could be perfect.

Would you say the current shaft looks like a real low flight when hitting it, or just on the vector it's a touch low? I know you said you guys don't get much roll out, but were you seeing any increase with this lower launch?

Not at all. Its a great penetrating flight that carries quite a bit. I mean despite this being the internet where everybody drives the ball 350 yards, the truth is 247 carry with a 103 mph swing speed is darn good in my opinion.

Yesterday I was able to put this driver on the launch monitor and wanted to show the numbers I was getting since people were asking for them. 20 golf balls were hit and these were the averages of the session provided by the AccuSport VectorX

Swing Speed - 104
Ball Speed - 148
Launch Angle - 11.2
Spin - 2998
Carry - 247
Side Spin - 210

I was hitting the ball pretty well and the numbers are really close to my ideal numbers so they say. I still prefer the launch angle and spin to be a tad higher for me to increase carry, because we dont get any roll down in my neck of the woods, but that is a personal and geographical thing.

Those are some great numbers man! I'd kill for a launch angle like that

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Not at all. Its a great penetrating flight that carries quite a bit. I mean despite this being the internet where everybody drives the ball 350 yards, the truth is 247 carry with a 103 mph swing speed is darn good in my opinion.

I would say thats pretty darn good as well.

Very true. I wasn't insinuating anything bad about the numbers or your info, I hope you didn't take it that way. I was just curious about the ball flight and/or roll out. I'd kill for 247 yard carry. The past few rounds (before winter weather) I have been driving the ball quite a bit shorter than usual. This is why some of the new lighter drivers have peaked my interest, and so have lessons.

Those are some great numbers man! I'd kill for a launch angle like that

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I agree completely. The black is getting lots of love but boy oh boy I like what I hear more and more on this one.

JB: my apologies if I missed it but does this head/shaft have any of those labels such as low spin / low-mid launch, etc?

I consistently see a launch of 17 with backspin north of 3500. Just wondering if this may end up being a good fit when I have a chance to hit it.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Very true. I wasn't insinuating anything bad about the numbers or your info, I hope you didn't take it that way. I was just curious about the ball flight and/or roll out. I'd kill for 247 yard carry. The past few rounds (before winter weather) I have been driving the ball quite a bit shorter than usual. This is why some of the new lighter drivers have peaked my interest, and so have lessons.

Not at all.

I agree completely. The black is getting lots of love but boy oh boy I like what I hear more and more on this one.

JB: my apologies if I missed it but does this head/shaft have any of those labels such as low spin / low-mid launch, etc?

I consistently see a launch of 17 with backspin north of 3500. Just wondering if this may end up being a good fit when I have a chance to hit it.

Tappin' from my iPad!

You will have to test it out cookie and see what the flight looks like for you.

That sounds great to me. I don't have a real fast swing speed and those are the numbers I like to consistently see with my driver. This driver is sounding more and more amazing.

i-qNnDP9M-L.jpg

Nice - that shaft looks pretty cool in there!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Dang that looks pretty good.

Can't say I'm a fan of the color combination, but if it works then why not. I've never had a problem with high spin or low launch, even the R9/Kusala was showing 14 degree and 2800 which seemed about right, but the Williams is giving me a bit lower launch and better distance. I'm thinking this in a 9.5 head might be just right.

Can't say I'm a fan of the color combination, but if it works then why not. I've never had a problem with high spin or low launch, even the R9/Kusala was showing 14 degree and 2800 which seemed about right, but the Williams is giving me a bit lower launch and better distance. I'm thinking this in a 9.5 head might be just right.

I gotta agree with duey about not being a fan of the color combo, but if it performs then it would have to have a chance to land in the bag.

That looks awesome with the new shaft in there JB. I'm very excited to hear how it works out for you since your numbers were fantastic already.

Love the headcover, I'd buy a few. The driver is a cool idea. Cleveland products are looking better each year.

Can't wait to hear and see some numbers on that shaft and head combo for you JB! I'm not sure how I feel about the colour combination there, but I think the combo could be lethal.

For whatever reason that combo makes for an even more old school look. Looks are one thing, how did it perform?

For whatever reason that combo makes for an even more old school look. Looks are one thing, how did it perform?

Have not tried it out as of yet.

I saw the headcover in Gmacs bag but did he actually game this driver?

Back