Chipping Technique

Just curious- do you guys have the club more upright with your chipping stroke than normal swing? Seems like this would promote more of that "putt stroke"

Just curious- do you guys have the club more upright with your chipping stroke than normal swing? Seems like this would promote more of that "putt stroke"

I can't talk for anyone else, but I'm not more upright, I don't think. I possibly should because I fight toe shots some, but I just setup in an attempt to keep the flat of the head flat to the ground.

Entirely depends on the shot I'm trying to play, the lie, and the club.

I stand closer to the ball on chips so that probably causes me to have the club more upright all other things being equal.

There is almost no similarity between a chipping stroke and a regular swing, except for the fact that both are made with a golf club of some kind. There is much more of a similarity between a putting stroke and a chipping stroke. Many people, even good players, confuse pitches and chips and use the term interchangeably.

Josh gave me a tip this weekend that changed my chipping completely. Widened my stance and more of a putting stroke. Worked today quite well

Josh gave me a tip this weekend that changed my chipping completely. Widened my stance and more of a putting stroke. Worked today quite well

Good to hear. Those Fast Florida greens can be brutal.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I'll say it again. This thread was a great thing for me. Low round of the year today on full size course. 86 and this was a huge part of why.

I'll say it again. This thread was a great thing for me. Low round of the year today on full size course. 86 and this was a huge part of why.
Congrats on the round, Hawk! Glad your short game work is paying off.

Way to go Hawk! Congrats on the PB! All the short game work you've put in is paying off it sounds like.

Fantastic Hawk, congrats.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Great round Hawk!

nice round hawk... short game lessons have improved my game tremendously this year.... hoping my full swing lessons do the same over the winter.

Thanks guys. I used Andy's advice by using the same stroke with a different club and it worked really well for me. I'll still have to work on the distances next year, but I'm sold on it. Not going to work in every situation, but the more I can take guesswork out of it the better.

good to hear hawk... took me some time to get it down but now i feel like i can get up and down from almost anywhere.

Definitely use different clubs for different length chips it really solves a lot of problems.

My chipping was good most of the summer until…it went bad. I had my feet together and the ball back in my stance. My pro watched me mishit two chips and changed everything. Went to a wide stance and moved the ball forward toward the center of my stance. Now my chipping is much better. I did notice that the ball checks up quicker so now I have to either swing harder (longer) or change clubs. I use a 56 deg for short chips, PW for mid length chips and 8 iron for longer chips. My chipping is back!

My chipping was good most of the summer until…it went bad.

This cracked me up, make sense though, lol. Good to hear it's back. It also makes sense that you would see the ball check more moving the ball closer to center as your 56* becomes more upright. I do some of the same, but on longer putts just push my grip forward to de-loft more and more as the distance increases. I like staying with the same club for weight and feel, but it seem's most people will teach otherwise. Of course I am talking on short shots from the fringe or rough around the green.

This cracked me up, make sense though, lol. Good to hear it's back. It also makes sense that you would see the ball check more moving the ball closer to center as your 56* becomes more upright. I do some of the same, but on longer putts just push my grip forward to de-loft more and more as the distance increases. I like staying with the same club for weight and feel, but it seem's most people will teach otherwise. Of course I am talking on short shots from the fringe or rough around the green.

My Pro said to stay with my 56 all the time around the green. (that is what he does) My direction was great but i had trouble trying to figure out distance. That is why I went with the three diff clubs trying to let the ball run out more. In the spring I will probably try and stay with the one club idea.

My Pro said to stay with my 56 all the time around the green. (that is what he does) My direction was great but i had trouble trying to figure out distance. That is why I went with the three diff clubs trying to let the ball run out more. In the spring I will probably try and stay with the one club idea.

I know a lot of "better" players who stick to one club like that. When I have a play lesson with my pro, he usually takes at least 3-4 clubs when he is chipping and makes his choice when he gets there. He definitely uses anything from high loft to a hybrid for chipping and has an incredible short game. There are just so many options that I think it's just a personal preference and what you successfully practice.

I know a lot of "better" players who stick to one club like that. When I have a play lesson with my pro, he usually takes at least 3-4 clubs when he is chipping and makes his choice when he gets there. He definitely uses anything from high loft to a hybrid for chipping and has an incredible short game. There are just so many options that I think it's just a personal preference and what you successfully practice.

i go back and forth with this. i usually have 1 go to club right now its my AW for most chips but i usually take my 60* and 64* up with me in case i need to lob it close. But you're right theres so many options i started using my 6 iron for the first time this year for long chips i wanted to run up to the hole and thats another great shot.... still havn't used a hybrid but Hanks is a great hybrid chipper. always impresses me when he busts out his mashie and chips one close.

I have always used two wedges - 50° for almost everything and the 58° for anything real close or short sided. It was ok for me, but I liked using some different clubs yesterday. My best chip - though not my closest - was an 8 iron from a good 90-100 feet (huge green). I was about 6 feet away, which is pretty good for me from that distance.

my instructor has taught me a very similar set up and stroke to Amollerud. vary the ball position and face angle depending on the height and roll out of the shot you want to achieve.

i pretty much use my 58 around the greens, and go up the bag using the same set up as the distance increases.

Just watched the video JB posted and I already do basically everything in that video. Feet close together, ball back, forward shaft lean. For me, this all works really well as long as I do not decelerate and get cute with the hands.

Same here, works great for me.

interesting video, I came across one on youtube awhile back of one of the top 100 teaching pros (cant remember which one) that said you should have the ball in the back, the club behind your zipper (contrary to andy's video) and my head in front of the ball. Not sure it it was the video or me keepign my head down longer through the shot (my miss is pulling up too soon), but Ive been chipping lately than ever before.

Different strokes for different folks im guessing

The world don't move to the beat of just one drum

Back