The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Thomas can be called a lot of things, but slow is not one of them.
4.30 40 time is fast no matter how they do anything else.
In fact at the combine, he ran one around 4.23 or 4.24

I don't know dude, I think they'll have the option to draft Landry Jones but I don't see them doing that. They'll probably go with an OT.

I'm not a fan of Jones or Barkley. We won't get luck (we won't trade up nor suck as bad as Indy) so the only other potential 1st rounder I like is RG3, who may not come out.

I Blackmon is available there's no way the Jags can (should) pass on him. Their receivers absolutely suck. They can't get open. In the game against the Texans last week the receivers were stuck to the DBs like they had velcroed themselves to them. Even if Gabbert were throwing better he has nowhere to throw it. Small and slow with bad hands is not a good combination in the NFL. The Jags haven't had a true #1 type receiver since Jimmy Smith "retired". The MNF crew harped all night about the passes all being short, but when the receivers can't get open downfield where do you throw it besides backs and TEs? Then you have the problem that when they do try to run a deeper route the o-line collapses and you get sacks. Rock and hard place.

If Blackmon is gone they probably go defensive end. Or corner. Maybe the Honey Badger. Rasheen Mathis is a free agent after the season, but maybe his recent ACL injury will keep him in town. Either way he's getting older and the top 3 corners would be coming off of knee injuries, so corner help would probably not be a bad idea either.

Mock drafts are fun. My only problem is that they generally are just a formula of - what is team's biggest weakness = insert "best" draft prospect there. But not all teams draft for pure need. Most mocks make no effort to consider best available player drafting, or craziness like the Raiders or Bills going rougue and off the wall. Still fun, though.

I thought Honey Badger is only a sophomore and won't (or can't?) come out?

I keep reading that the Jags go DE or CB in round 1, then WR in rounds 2 and 3. They could snag up Sanu out of Rutgers in Round 2, or even Dwight Jones out of UNC. They're both good.

THat's what I was thinking. I don't think its Blaine has nowhere to throw, he simply can't get it there.

It's stated here Romo had a great game, but the Cowboys lost because of bad play calling. It's then stated the Packers called a similar game. The Packers won. Did they win because of bad play calling? The Patriots don't run it that well or that often. Do they win because of bad play calling?

Help me out. I'm confused.

Kevin

THat's what I was thinking. I don't think its Blaine has nowhere to throw, he simply can't get it there.

Watching him dump it off when they needed to move the ball and watching him scramble for 2 yards when it's 3rd and 14 was funny though. He made the Chargers D look good last night. Poor MoJo.

But he doesn't play like it. He doesn't run away from people and he gets caught from behind and rarely has separation. One of those guys that just doesn't play quite as fast as he measures. Not that he's a bad player. I like Mike Thomas. But he needs to be a slot guy. He is more quick than fast and does better with moves than pure speed. He's kind of like a RB once he has the ball. But with 4.30 speed you think he'd run by people like Steve Smith - he doesn't.

It's stated here Romo had a great game, but the Cowboys lost because of bad play calling. It's then stated the Packers called a similar game. The Packers won. Did they win because of bad play calling? The Patriots don't run it that well or that often. Do they win because of bad play calling?

Help me out. I'm confused.

Kevin

I dont think the Packers had bad play calling and unless I missed it, I did not see someone say that. Heavy pass to run ratio maybe, but there is far more to play calling than just a ratio. Poor decisions inside the 30 yard line of the opponent did the Cowboys in. They are also very different teams with a hot RB that has gone off recently in terms of moving the chains.

Its the same reason that teams bury Tebow and the Broncos and say they cant win because they cannot pass. Relying on one or the other more heavily can work and has been proven to work, but it does not mean it fits every team and certainly is not the only indicator in play calling.

But he doesn't play like it. He doesn't run away from people and he gets caught from behind and rarely has separation. One of those guys that just doesn't play quite as fast as he measures. Not that he's a bad player. I like Mike Thomas. But he needs to be a slot guy. He is more quick than fast and does better with moves than pure speed. He's kind of like a RB once he has the ball. But with 4.30 speed you think he'd run by people like Steve Smith - he doesn't.

Do you mean the real Steve Smith or the fake one in Philly? Lol some people get confused and upset.

Disagree, because I dont see it that way at all. He found a soft zone at least 5 times last week and Gabbert couldnt deliver the ball there, checked down or never looked. Thomas doesnt get a pass, because he is not the best route runner, but its not his speed again that is keeping him in line, its poor QB play more than anything else in my opinion. You cant get by on all speed, clearly, but speed is not his issue and he showed that last year as he started to emerge as a real weapon.

Watching him dump it off when they needed to move the ball and watching him scramble for 2 yards when it's 3rd and 14 was funny though. He made the Chargers D look good last night. Poor MoJo.

Lol yeah, I was laughing when the dumps resulted in 50 yard plays... thus making Gabberts statistics look good. I thought for a second though, the Chargers were going to get smoked.

That is what he is programmed to do. Dumping off to WR's disguised as TE's 2 yards past the line of scrimmage is what Mizzou taught him.

Do you mean the real Steve Smith or the fake one in Philly? Lol some people get confused and upset.

The real Steve Smith who catches long bombs and sometimes likes to punch his teammates in the face. :)

Disagree, because I dont see it that way at all. He found a soft zone at least 5 times last week and Gabbert couldnt deliver the ball there, checked down or never looked. You cant get by on all speed, clearly, but speed is not his issue and he showed that last year as he started to emerge as a real weapon.

He is best against the zone, for sure, but he isn't a speed demon. It would be great if he was. But the Jags receivers all disappear in man coverage because they get no seperation, and if they do they drop passes or adjust poorly, etc. You watch any other team and receivers will make great catches on slightly off target throws from their QBs. The Jags receivers drop those or bat them to defenders (not just this year, I'm talking the last 5+ seasons running - Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, etc. not just the current guys with Gabbert).

The real Steve Smith who catches long bombs and sometimes likes to punch his teammates in the face. :)

He is best against the zone, for sure, but he isn't a speed demon. It would be great if he was. But the Jags receivers all disappear in man coverage because they get no seperation, and if they do they drop passes or adjust poorly, etc. You watch any other team and receivers will make great catches on slightly off target throws from their QBs. The Jags receivers drop those or bat them to defenders (not just this year, I'm talking the last 5+ seasons running - Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, etc. not just the current guys with Gabbert).

He also beats up Saints players. Which I love to see.

I'd take Mike Thomas in Carolina. He'd be a nice asset to our offense. SO would Desean Jackson.

I'd just like receiver opposite Earl bennett. Just one. That would be nice.

I'd take Mike Thomas in Carolina. He'd be a nice asset to our offense. SO would Desean Jackson.

He's a good player. Great complimentary, slot guy. Not a #1, which is what he's mostly had to try to be in Jax. He needs to be used more like Wes Welker.

The sane Desean Jackson or the crazy Desean Jackson?

He is best against the zone, for sure, but he isn't a speed demon.

Again, I disagree. 4.24 speed is absolutely a speed demon. I watch their games, he gets separation, but the QB cant deliver it. He cant run his best route which is a deep post, where he absolutely shows separation because once again, his QB cant throw the pass. Will Gabbert in time? Maybe, but if you watched him in college, he was not great at that throw then either. He is not a possession WR, but a deep threat and could be a huge asset to many teams due to his speed.

He's a good player. Great complimentary, slot guy. Not a #1, which is what he's mostly had to try to be in Jax. He needs to be used more like Wes Welker.

The sane Desean Jackson or the crazy Desean Jackson?

Either. We have a Steve Smith that would learn that boy some act right.

Either. We have a Steve Smith that would learn that boy some act right.

Honestly, I think he would. Steve Smith takes 0 bullcrap. None. I think he did some dumb things early but man I have to say this for 87th time... Favorite player in the NFL bar none.

You can have Legadoo Nannae (sp?)

Lol Funny thing is, I'd take him over Roy Roy.

Honestly, I think he would. Steve Smith takes 0 bullcrap. None. I think he did some dumb things early but man I have to say this for 87th time... Favorite player in the NFL bar none.

Lol Funny thing is, I'd take him over Roy Roy.

Steve Smith would be the perfect dude to groom a Desean Jackson. Similar style of player's. I'd love it.

Again, I disagree. 4.24 speed is absolutely a speed demon. I watch their games, he gets separation, but the QB cant deliver it. He cant run his best route which is a deep post, where he absolutely shows separation because once again, his QB cant throw the pass. Will Gabbert in time? Maybe, but if you watched him in college, he was not great at that throw then either. He is not a possession WR, but a deep threat and could be a huge asset to many teams due to his speed.

We'll have to see. I've seen DBs step for step with Thomas on deep routes too often to consider him a true deep threat, speed demon. Fast enough to be a good receiver, sure, but not elite speed on the field with the pads on. And he's dropped a lot of balls this year, too. Being a Jag fan is all frustration on offense this year: either Gabbert throws a bad pass or receivers drop the perfect passes, which just makes it all that much worse. It was nice that Marcedes Lewis actually didn't drop any good throws last night for a change, at least.

Just picked this up today....been waiting a couple of months to get the 2nd signature on here (Aikman and Staubach)

ff96ef69.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back