Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the same way here. I paid a guy off of Craigslist $275 and he put me in the MLS system. It worked great. The only problem is that I had to pay the 3% for the other agent. At least I didn't have to pay the 3% of the listing agent.

Exactly, I offer 2% to a selling agent if they bring their clients, which on a $500,000 house is about $15000 dollars in savings for me.

My patrol car is on a setup to have the oil changed every 10K miles. It also has a neat little reminder that pops up when its time to get the oil changed. The problem is the computer is not reprogrammed, so it still comes up at normal intervals. It is up right now, and i still have 3K miles to go till its time to get it changed. So now everytime I turn my car on for the next month it tells me to change my oil.

Just look up the reset pattern. For our Tahoes and Jeeps it's 3 on and off cycles of the key and 5 full presses on the gas pedal. GSA tells us when to get the oil changed and sometimes they aren't exactly timely.

Exactly, I offer 2% to a selling agent if they bring their clients, which on a $500,000 house is about $15000 dollars in savings for me.

Can you just pay a realtor in Canada to put your house in the system?

I have had some good agents, and some bad agents, but based on our housing market here even a good agent is well, well overpaid especially for what I do. I buy houses and renovate and sell, or I buy lots and tear down and build. You can't buy a house where I live for less than $500,000 so the two agents would split $25000, that kills my profit margins, and just IMHO is too much money off the sale of one home. 5% is just too high, if realestate agents were about 1%, maybe 2% then I would be in, but 5% is outrageous and I refuse to play that game.

Things may be different in the states, I'm not sure, but I can list on MLS here without a realestate agent, and do most of the advertising myself.

i like you though mward!

Down here there are limited service companies that'll put your home in the MLS for you ranging from a few hundred bucks to up to 1%, but they're kinda hit or miss. I've seen them list it in the wrong subdivision and make it completely unfindable unless you know where you're looking. Commission although not fixed, is customarily around 6% split here. With 1 in 3 right now a short sale or bank owned property it's usually 5.

I completely understand and appreciate how you make your living man. You always have different costs per place and it can either be a simple renovation or a nightmare once you get inside the walls. There are some people down here who I've seen their listings online and they do such a crap job it's frustrating. Yeah they'll put nice upgrades, but they do it very half-assedly. Uneven, poor/thin caulking, uneven baseboards, etc. Then there are some that do really good work and it's nice to see when their LLC pops up under public records. Please don't be the former! lol

We need to get together at the Outing or MC 2.0 and have a beer man!

We're first time sellers, so we wanted to get some experience using a realtor as we got our feet wet. We looked at the MLS listing services, but since I travel so much, I didn't want to have to worry about having to schedule showings around my travel schedule or use a random lockbox from Home Depot.

Our house is only in the middle 160s so the commission is only a few thousand bucks. The piece of mind and ease is why we listed with an agent.

It sounds like the parts of the offer you mentioned are pretty solid. I don't need to know all the details, but yeah it's nice when the buyer has funds in the bank to cover their costs. So long as they included a pre-approval letter with their offer, someone's at least willing to provide the rest of their money until proven otherwise lol.

Those lockboxes from Home Depot can befinicky at times. I saw one where the 1 was missing. Code to open was 1234. That didn't work too well for a while..

Down here there are limited service companies that'll put your home in the MLS for you ranging from a few hundred bucks to up to 1%, but they're kinda hit or miss. I've seen them list it in the wrong subdivision and make it completely unfindable unless you know where you're looking. Commission although not fixed, is customarily around 6% split here. With 1 in 3 right now a short sale or bank owned property it's usually 5.

I completely understand and appreciate how you make your living man. You always have different costs per place and it can either be a simple renovation or a nightmare once you get inside the walls. There are some people down here who I've seen their listings online and they do such a crap job it's frustrating. Yeah they'll put nice upgrades, but they do it very half-assedly. Uneven, poor/thin caulking, uneven baseboards, etc. Then there are some that do really good work and it's nice to see when their LLC pops up under public records. Please don't be the former! lol

We need to get together at the Outing or MC 2.0 and have a beer man!

Absolutely man, I'm more than willing to pay for a realestate agent, just not 5-6% and I've seen those same reno's here! I always buy, reno, live in it for a year (so I don't have to pay capital gains tax on the profit) and then sell. It is just something I now do in my spare time as I no longer work in construction but love the business.

It sounds like the parts of the offer you mentioned are pretty solid. I don't need to know all the details, but yeah it's nice when the buyer has funds in the bank to cover their costs. So long as they included a pre-approval letter with their offer, someone's at least willing to provide the rest of their money until proven otherwise lol.

Those lockboxes from Home Depot can befinicky at times. I saw one where the 1 was missing. Code to open was 1234. That didn't work too well for a while..

Yea they had the pre approval letter included, our realtor said the mortgage broker has worked well with her in the past, etc. One thing is for sure, I'm pouring myself a tall stiff drink each night after we get acceptance, pass inspection, appraisal, and closing.

I dont know why, but it drives me crazy that some people use THP only for the marketplace. It shouldnt bother me, its not against the rules in anyway, but it does.

I dont know why, but it drives me crazy that some people use THP only for the marketplace. It shouldnt bother me, its not against the rules in anyway, but it does.

Its funny you posted this but I was just thinking the exact same thing as I saw something pop up on the home screen. I wouldn't buy from those guys here.

They're using your hard work to gain a larger market for them to sell their items to save money on eBay fees, etc. Itd bother me too.

I was thinking the same thing... man this member posts a lot for sale.

Make it a rule, minimum post type rule...the longer folks stick around the more apt they are to stay

I was thinking the same thing... man this member posts a lot for sale.

Coincidence? I think not. Seen some buy something somewhere else just to resell here and turn a profit. Really??

Tappin' from my iPad!

Absolutely man, I'm more than willing to pay for a realestate agent, just not 5-6% and I've seen those same reno's here! I always buy, reno, live in it for a year (so I don't have to pay capital gains tax on the profit) and then sell. It is just something I now do in my spare time as I no longer work in construction but love the business.

IICR it's 2 years in FL to avoid capital gains. There's always the 1031 exchange route but I've not had those happen very often.I don't think Florida's a place you'd like to do your line of work lol

Yea they had the pre approval letter included, our realtor said the mortgage broker has worked well with her in the past, etc. One thing is for sure, I'm pouring myself a tall stiff drink each night after we get acceptance, pass inspection, appraisal, and closing.

Funny enough, your agent will probably be doing the same. It's better though when the agent says they've worked with that particular mortgage broker in the past, cause they know what to expect and what they're capable of doing in X time frame. Biggest two things to really keep an eye on are your inspections and the appraisal. If you've kept up with your home, you'll probably have only a few minor things. Appraisal you'll be ok if the home was priced well within the comps of other homes sold in the past 90 days. If it received an offer and wasn't on the market long, it was probably priced just fine. You'll find out though! lol

IICR it's 2 years in FL to avoid capital gains. There's always the 1031 exchange route but I've not had those happen very often.I don't think Florida's a place you'd like to do your line of work lol

I'd still do it in Florida, your weather is nice! I'd just have to live in the house for another year, that would make my wife happier. I'm actually going to be getting out of the business now, I am going to be tearing down my current house, building a duplex, selling one unit right away, living in the other for a year, and then selling that one and then building my long term house.

I'm getting really tired of moving and never really feeling settled. (thats the company line I'm told and I toe the line if I know whats good for me)

Who holds a meeting in a room without WiFi???????

That is what I have done with my last two houses. I buy foreclosures, fix them up and live in them for 2 years. My only problem right now is the market really sucks. I can't get what I want to out of the house I am in. I just went past my two year mark in July. I guess I will have to wait for it to turn a bit. I really want to find a foreclosure on a golf course. That is my next goal.

That is what I have done with my last two houses. I buy foreclosures, fix them up and live in them for 2 years. My only problem right now is the market really sucks. I can't get what I want to out of the house I am in. I just went past my two year mark in July. I guess I will have to wait for it to turn a bit. I really want to find a foreclosure on a golf course. That is my next goal.

There are a lot down here available in golfing course communities. I'm super particular about lots on courses personally. Not within 200-300 yards out. Not on either side within 100 yards of the tee box. Not around green complexes unless there's significant space between the green and where my yard would begin. I pretty much want a par 3 lot but back behind the tee box a bit.

taco bell tacos are a buck a pop now? wth?
i bought 5 but i remember when 5 bucks bought a dozen lol

Exam time :'(

Waiting on a response from counteroffer on a house sucks. Get that snow melted in KC, we're moving there in 5 weeks

contract accepted, guess who's getting drunk tonight... thx for the guidance mward...

contract accepted, guess who's getting drunk tonight... thx for the guidance mward...

Congrats man - stoked for you!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back