Nicklausfan

Reaction score
Okay Gang:

I use the TaylorMade Penta TP... which Callaway ball has the characterstics that match the TP closest? Tour i(s)?

Alex

Callaway is releasing a new series of ball in the near future, the Hex. I think that might be what you are looking for. For me the i(z) was comparable to the penta off the tee box, but the i(s) was closer around the green.

Okay Gang:

I use the TaylorMade Penta TP... which Callaway ball has the characterstics that match the TP closest? Tour i(s)?

Alex

Ive only played the i(z) and i(s) out of the callaway line but out of those two i'd say the i(s) is definitely closer overall to the penta. I was in a groove with my wedges the other day and did an impromtu spin test with a srixon Q-star, penta, i(z), and an i(s). With a full 56* wedge i was getting the Q-star to hop back 1-foot, the i(z) 1 foot hop and roll to about 3 feet back, and the penta and i(s) were both sucking back about 5-6 feet. With a driver ive found that the penta has a little less spin then the i(s) but a little bit more than the i(z).

In terms of feel, the penta an i(s) are similar but something about the penta just feels better to me...

However, the more i play with the Q-star, the more i am liking that ball, which is neither here nor there but just felt like i had to mention it!

Are you trying to have everything in your bag the same. or something? Why not keep using the penta if it works best for you?

I don't know either but I am intrigued to find out. I don't know much about their balls - I can't wait to figure it out though!

I think the Penta is more similar to the i(s) but I much preferred the i(z). Have fun in your testing a pursuit of a ball.

Well TC is the bigger of the two however One-T still packs a punch :D

I have heard the I(s) has more greenside spin but the I(z) has less spin off the driver and a little more distance. Most people I know that play Callaway play the I(z). Out of the two new HEX models I am most interested in the Black, which is replacing the I(z). Its a 5-layer ball just like the Penta, so I am really excited to see how it performs.

Hex Chrome is supposedly sprinkled with magical 15 yard fairy dust.

I have heard the I(s) has more greenside spin but the I(z) has less spin off the driver and a little more distance. Most people I know that play Callaway play the I(z). Out of the two new HEX models I am most interested in the Black, which is replacing the I(z). Its a 5-layer ball just like the Penta, so I am really excited to see how it performs.

ME TOOOOO!!!

THat was pretty funny old man. I suppose it would be a tough choice.

Ive only played the i(z) and i(s) out of the callaway line but out of those two i'd say the i(s) is definitely closer overall to the penta. I was in a groove with my wedges the other day and did an impromtu spin test with a srixon Q-star, penta, i(z), and an i(s). With a full 56* wedge i was getting the Q-star to hop back 1-foot, the i(z) 1 foot hop and roll to about 3 feet back, and the penta and i(s) were both sucking back about 5-6 feet. With a driver ive found that the penta has a little less spin then the i(s) but a little bit more than the i(z).

In terms of feel, the penta an i(s) are similar but something about the penta just feels better to me...

However, the more i play with the Q-star, the more i am liking that ball, which is neither here nor there but just felt like i had to mention it!

I played the Q-Star and the Penta next to each other this fall and found the Penta to have more spin. Also the Penta tends to fall out of the sky while the Q-Star ran out farther on the drives. Irons distance were the same with Penta checking up more on chips. Thought the Q-Star was ok but no big deal. After all that, I too am interested in a Callaway ball that is close to the Penta but have not tried any of their products yet.

I have heard good distance reports on both balls, with the chrome getting the edge overall in distance increases. Can't wait to put these to the test side by side. I heard some Callaway reps are giving a few sleeves to their customers to try ans o haven't heard anything but great things about either of them.

Hex Chrome? I must still be asleep. Could you fill me in on the Chrome? Thanks.

I have heard good distance reports on both balls, with the chrome getting the edge overall in distance increases. Can't wait to put these to the test side by side. I heard some Callaway reps are giving a few sleeves to their customers to try ans o haven't heard anything but great things about either of them.

I need to get myself a Cally rep! I think the Hex Chrome is right up my alley as to what I look for in a golf ball

Hex Chrome? I must still be asleep. Could you fill me in on the Chrome? Thanks.

It is Callys new ball for 2012. The line is called Hex. I believe there are 2 balls. Hex Black is a 5 piece ball and the Hex Chrome is a 3 piece. Supposedly people are seeing large increases of distance with both but especially with the Chrome

Ok so this thread has really got me thinking about these balls, so I have been looking into them all morning. The HEX black is supposed to be a combination of the I(z) and I(s). It is supposed to have lower spin off of the driver and higher spin around the greens. Sounds like the performance will be very similar to a penta because I remember when the Penta was released some said it performed like the proV1x off the tee and a proV around the greens. Now here is what got me excited (and what might explain the distance gains), the HEX chrome is a 3-piece ball that is supposed to be a tour level ball FOR AMATEUR SWING SPEEDS. Sound familiar? The chrome ball is said to perform like the Bridgestone B330-RX ball.

Now I don't know about you guys, but the only 2 balls I play with are the Penta and the RX, so now I am even more excited to put these to the test. I will be in the proshop the day these come out to buy a dozen of each and see what I come up with.

Ok so this thread has really got me thinking about these balls, so I have been looking into them all morning. The HEX black is supposed to be a combination of the I(z) and I(s). It is supposed to have lower spin off of the driver and higher spin around the greens. Sounds like the performance will be very similar to a penta because I remember when the Penta was released some said it performed like the proV1x off the tee and a proV around the greens. Now here is what got me excited (and what might explain the distance gains), the HEX chrome is a 3-piece ball that is supposed to be a tour level ball FOR AMATEUR SWING SPEEDS. Sound familiar? The chrome ball is said to perform like the Bridgestone B330-RX ball.

Now I don't know about you guys, but the only 2 balls I play with are the Penta and the RX, so now I am even more excited to put these to the test. I will be in the proshop the day these come out to buy a dozen of each and see what I come up with.

B330RX is my favorite ball so I think the Chrome will be perfect for me

If I can't get the coffee out from under my keyboard, you owe me a laptop OG!

Sure, and I just bought 3 dz. Diablo Tours!

I have a dozen HEX Black and it is one amazing ball guys! The iS will be the closest to the penta. I am a iZ player and IMO the HEX Black is the iS and iZ mixed, its the best of both balls in one. Low spin off the tee and high spin around the green and with short irons.

Great info IN, I have a feeling those will be the balls I will e looking at for the MC, and I have a feeling that the Chrome will be the leader in the clubhouse.

Back