THPers experiences with non-stock R11 shafts?

Jersey Nate

#JourneyToBetter #THPMC
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.2
Hey all. I'm pondering a shaft upgrade for my non-TP R11. Anyone out there with any suggestions, experiences, likes and dislikes with non-stock R11 shafts? And if anyone games one, what kind of performance do you get? Higher/lower ball flight? Less/more spin? I'm mostly looking for a shaft that will spin the ball less, if that's possible.

Holy cow man, I've tested slews of shafts in the R11 head. Mine is also 9* like yours. I've tested Project X shafts, Matrix Radix, Miyazaki Black, Indigo, UST Mamiya's Attas T2. They're all very different. Right now, I'm sticking with the Miyazaki Indigo 61S but my next favorite was probably the Matrix Radix. The Radix is a nice option b/c it's quite affordable. It doesn't quite feel as smooth as the Miyazaki's but it gets the job done. There really is a lot of option out there. What are you trying to achieve? Ball flight/launch wise?

My ball flight at the moment is a little too high, and so sometimes my natural fade leaks too much and gets me into trouble. I'm trying to launch the ball on a medium/high, penetrating flight with a bit less airtime and a bit more roll. I was looking at the new Kusala shafts and it really looks like the Indigo would be a nice shaft for this....although the Kusala white would look perfect in an R11 IMO.

Last edited:
Dude, sounds like we have a similar stock shot pattern. I would highly recommend the Indigo or Black series Kusala. If you mind me asking, what's your swing speed with the driver?

Nate, where are you at in New Jersey? You should be able to find some place around where you live with a TaylorMade fitting cart, they will have some of the non-stock shafts on there that you could hit. Also, you need to get some launch and spin numbers with your current setup, so that you can figure out which direction you need to go with those variables.

TC, my driver SS usually averages between 95-100 mph. Wonder where one could purchase the Indigo...

Ary - I'm in Williamstown NJ, about a half hour southeast from Philadelphia. I'll have to check out the fitting cart. I definitely should hit some before I make any decision.

TC, my driver SS usually averages between 95-100 mph. Wonder where one could purchase the Indigo...

Ary - I'm in Williamstown NJ, about a half hour southeast from Philadelphia. I'll have to check out the fitting cart. I definitely should hit some before I make any decision.

You might benefit from Matrix's "firm" flex. It's between regular and stiff. You might want to take a look at the Radix in firm flex. OEM kevin had that shaft in his Razr Hawk and saw great success. And like I said, very economical.

My ball flight at the moment is a little too high, and so sometimes my natural fade leaks too much and gets me into trouble. I'm trying to launch the ball on a medium/high, penetrating flight with a bit less airtime and a bit more roll. I was looking at the new Kusala shafts and it really looks like the Indigo would be a nice shaft for this....although the Kusala white would look perfect in an R11 IMO.

I just put the Kusala White in my 9.5* R11 and its everything i wanted and more. I dont think its what you want in terms of ball flight though, it definitely brought mine up a little, but thats what i was going for. It brought my SS up a couple MPH though, even though i fell like im swinging easier, and it made the R11 about ten times more fun to hit....so smooth!

I have an Matrix XCon 5 in mine. If you're looking to lower your ball flight, this one is not for you. lol. As a matter of fact I might change it out next Spring, and I'm usually looking to hit the ball up a little bit.

Kevin

I am really so dumb concerning shafts....where, once I make my decision, could I purchase shafts, especially if they could install an r11 tip and grip for me? Looking online, I'm not so sure who is reputable or not.

TC, I'll definitely check out the Radix...but those Miyazakis look so purdy.

Edit: In terms of ball flight, I don't mind a high flight...in fact I enjoy it. The only thing is that the higher the flight, the higher the spin for me. (OF course I think it's mostly my swing flaws, which a few lessons hopefully will help). So I'm thinking: Bring the ball down a bit, but not too much, so I don't lose distance, but I get better spin results and less lost balls left.

The Miyazaki's are pretty but the Radix looks so good in the R11. If I weren't on my phone I would post a link to my Radix review (which has pictures).

I buy my R11 tips from a seller on Ebay named will_PGA. Once you have your tips, anyone can install those on the shaft.

I would go with TC's recommendation just based on your description of your swing and needs. Radix is a great shaft for the price. However, if money is not a big concern, you could also try Matrix 6m3 Black Tie in regular. This is what I have in my R11 and definitely reduces spin and lowers ball flight.

The Miyazaki's are pretty but the Radix looks so good in the R11. If I weren't on my phone I would post a link to my Radix review (which has pictures).

I buy my R11 tips from a seller on Ebay named will_PGA. Once you have your tips, anyone can install those on the shaft.

Even an Esox?

Kevin

Will definitely do a search for your Radix review.

Sounds like TC pointed you in the right direction.

I personally have no experience with the R11 other than in store demo, but I did win a Miyazaki Dromos shaft and I put an R11 tip on it and gave it to my dad. Totally not a good match for him at all. Normally hits his driver too high in my opinion (with the stock Blur) but still pretty much as far as me. We put the Dromos on and he was hitting short worm-burners. Just didn't load properly for him with his swing. (I wish I'd kept the Dromos for myself, but I'm a good son!)

Sounds like TC pointed you in the right direction.

I personally have no experience with the R11 other than in store demo, but I did win a Miyazaki Dromos shaft and I put an R11 tip on it and gave it to my dad. Totally not a good match for him at all. Normally hits his driver too high in my opinion (with the stock Blur) but still pretty much as far as me. We put the Dromos on and he was hitting short worm-burners. Just didn't load properly for him with his swing. (I wish I'd kept the Dromos for myself, but I'm a good son!)

Still using that Dromos? :D Kidding. I do think that the Radix or the Kusala Indigo/Black would be best for my swing.

Where are some reputable sellers of the Matrix Radix?

I am really so dumb concerning shafts....where, once I make my decision, could I purchase shafts, especially if they could install an r11 tip and grip for me? Looking online, I'm not so sure who is reputable or not.

Didnt read thru the whole thread but @ the top of the page...Blind 9 Golf, I got my Radix 6 from Dennis & Patty, for my R9 but it now is in my R11
Edit to add: the tip also

A update, just ordered a Matrix Radix 6 shaft for my R11 4W from Dennis @ blind9golf at a good price!!

PM Sent, Bulldog.

Not sure about the R11 but after 3 other shafts I put a Harrison Saga in my SuperTri and I stopped looking. For under $80 I dare you to find a better feeling and performing shaft. I just couldn't justify dropping over $200 for any high end shaft.

I had no luck with the stock blur, but I love my R11 with a Fubuki Alpha

For the price, I'm seriously considering the Matrix Radix. Will have to research the Alpha and the Saga.

For the price, I'm seriously considering the Matrix Radix. Will have to research the Alpha and the Saga.
Their are so many good shafts out there, its all about finding the right one for you. Any chance of finding a fitter near you?

DirtyDawg has a C Kua with a R11 tip for sale right now. It doesn't work for me, but its a great shaft for alot of people. Check the bay, you can find great deals on shafts. There is a Oban Devotion with a r11 tip on there for 100 right now, I'm a big fan of that shaft as well.

Back