Female Athlete of the Year???

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I don't understand how it wasn't Yani Tseng. Yani finished No. 1 in scoring average, driving distance, birdies and rounds under par and won the player of the year award. She won seven LPGA events, including two majors, and won four other international events. That's 11 tournaments!

Abby Wambach65
Hope Solo38
Maya Moore35
Yani Tseng24

Yes, Wambach had a clutch performance in the World Cup, but Yani was consistent all year. And, to top it off, Yani finished a paltry fourth.

Oy vey...

Yani got robbed. Plain and simple.

It's stupid, but totally understandable. A ton of people watched the WWC this summer and saw Wambach play well. Not nearly that many people watch the LPGA I would guess. I would bet that many, many more people know who Wambach is than Tseng. But yes, Yani should have won, especially because the US didn't even win the WWC.

Yani got robbed! and to finish 4th is really unbelievable!! I could almost understand it had the US team won the WWC, but they didn't and then to throw Maya Moore in there as well.....at least the Lynx won the WNBA....but it's the friggin WNBA!

Yeah that's absurd. You can even argue she should have won Golf Magazine's Golfer of the Year over Rory. She's way ahead of Tiger's major pace @ 22 yrs old.

She's not american, if she was then she would have won the award.

All I can say is, if Michelle Wie had the year Yani just completed, the vote would be near unanimous for Wie. I wouldn't call it a racist overlooking of Yani's year, but just unfortunate that the media has largely ignored her banner year.

This shows how little impact women's golf has. It's disappointing, but not unexpected.

I never heard of Maya Moore until this thread. Wow. Sad. And B.S.
Good point, CB.

There was a stretch of time I think four years where the female athlete of the year went to Annika and Lorena. Winning an event that happens every four years is a feet with in itself. I believe if Yani has this season again in 2012 she will win. It has nothing to do with being an American vs a non american, IMO

There was a stretch of time I think four years where the female athlete of the year went to Annika and Lorena. Winning an event that happens every four years is a feet with in itself. I believe if Yani has this season again in 2012 she will win. It has nothing to do with being an American vs a non american, IMO

Then how did she finish 4th behind the WNBA player then?

In general I would agree with you, but you can't tell me for a second that if an american female golfer had had that kind of a season that she wouldn't have won the award running away.

In general I would agree with you, but you can't tell me for a second that if an american female golfer had had that kind of a season that she wouldn't have won the award running away.

I would agree if Annika and Lorena hadn't won over four consecutive years. You could very well be right but I look at this way. This is Abby's last year. Yani will have many more. Not sure I agree with her finishing 4th.

Back