Wood shaft in a Hybrid? Lightweight 65g shaft needed-

neophyteguy

Reaction score
I was recently fitted (TaylorMade Mat-T) and came up with Project X 6.0 for my driver and fairway wood. I would like to be able to get the Project X hybrid shafts, but they are just too expensive for me.

Another problem is that my hybrids are Adams V3 and they have a very light shaft in them (65g). The project x shafts are going to be closer to 90 and I think this will considerably change the clubs properties?

I've been looking for something with a fairly low launch like the PX, but in a lightweight shaft. The clubs originally came with Mitsubishi Bassara which weren't for me.

Can anyone recommend something I can put in that won't break the bank? I've got three shafts to replace.............ouch! Also, these are .355 tips right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Neo

I'm wanting to replace the Bassara in my V3 also, and am thinking I might give the UST proforce V2 shafts a try, they can be had for 30 bucks or less pretty easily, so its a cheap option and if it doesn't work out, its not the end of the world. They aren't lightweight however.

Steel Shaft in Hybrids? Should Hybrid shaft match Irons or Woods?

Steel Shaft in Hybrids? Should Hybrid shaft match Irons or Woods?

Thanks Wakerider! I've looked at those shafts as well.......

I was really hoping to find a cheaper shaft that had some similarities to the Project X 6.0, so it would be at least somewhat similar to my driver and FW shafts.

Saying that, I've also considered putting in KBS Tour Hybrid Shafts in as the KBS Tour is what my new clubs will have in them. I was fitted for these in my irons at the same time as being fitted for the Project X 6.0's in my Woods.

Any thoughts on putting steel shafts in my Hybrid? I actually hit my 3-4I pretty well, so I'm not averse to having longer steel shafts.

Finally, should the Hybrid shafts be closer matched to the iron shafts or to the wood shafts?

Cheers,
Neo

I've tried steel shafts in hybrids but honestly I like a heavier, stiffer graphite in it, right in the middle of woods and hybrids.

Thanks IM! I'm also just trying to get some advice on how much difference (or if it is doable) there will be if I put in a 85-90gm shaft vs the 60-65 that came with the club. There aren't many options for Hybrid graphite shafts in that weight.

OTOH, I was also keen to find out if I should just bang in a couple of KBS Hybrid shafts. Thanks for your input! The KBS shaft would certainly be MUCH heaver than the Bassara that came with the club, which was very lightweight.

Cheers, Neo

The Mitsubishi Fubuki (VERY good shaft) can be had for 80 grams (stiff) in the hybrid version. Not exactly cheap but I recommend giving it a try.

Back