Bridgestone J40 Pay It Forward Review Thread

GreAt write up G4L! Loved the comparison pics

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in here after hitting the 5-PW yesterday.

Coming from the Wilson Staff FG Tour V2's and Mizuno MP 53's it was an easy transition to make. The DPC's are a tad longer from heal to toe and offer more forgiveness if this is your miss. All three look very similar at address. The sound at impact was a bit muted in my opinion and helped these clubs feel softer than the Mizzy's and Wilson's. Distance was similar to what I have seen with the other sets. The Project X shafts (5.5) are a great stock shaft and the ball flight was similar to the S300's (MP 53's) for me and a bit lower than what I have been getting from the KBS shafts (V2's). I am thrilled that these will be my irons for the Morgan Cup and I think these will convert many who try them to Bridgestone.

I am really confused about shafts right now to be honest. I was not real happy with the DG S300's as I think they are a bit heavy. The KBS are nice and balanced but the ball flight was a too high. The Project X's seemed to be a fairly good fit but it was only one round. I really want to try some graphites and see what other options are out there as it seems Bridgestone will let us put almost any shaft in there.

I love that you were able to get a round in with these. I think the PX shaft is a great fit for these irons. Like you though, I am really thinking of throwing a graphite shaft in to them. After gaming these down in FL and then using a set with graphite shafts the next I am really interested in graphite. Talking with CL I'm thinking about going with PX 5.5 graphite. I'm hoping I can find a place near me where I can hit something with that shaft installed.

I love that you were able to get a round in with these. I think the PX shaft is a great fit for these irons. Like you though, I am really thinking of throwing a graphite shaft in to them. After gaming these down in FL and then using a set with graphite shafts the next I am really interested in graphite. Talking with CL I'm thinking about going with PX 5.5 graphite. I'm hoping I can find a place near me where I can hit something with that shaft installed.

I am hoping to get fit in the next couple weeks and will spend some time in the shaft/club fitting thread pondering my options. Look forward to hearing your progress as well.

Wow wow wow!! Shot an 84 today!!! These j40s are awesome!!

Best hole - 360 yard tight par 4. J40 3 iron off the tee, fairway, 162 left. J40 6 iron pin high just off the green. 60* wedge to 2 ft sink putt.

J40 3 iron- besides the above shot. I struggled with this iron. Its me not the club. I hit it a couple times off the fairway and couldn't really get a flush hit. I definitely need more time with it. I always struggle with long irons.

J40 6 iron- love it! If a shot called for a 7 iron, I'd pull out the 6 and take some off lol. I felt so confident with this iron. I'm usually hit or miss with anything longer then a 7. Not one bad shot. Averaged about 162 with the shots

J40 9 iron- sane as the 6. I was actually chipping with it. The smaller head didn't affect me at all. 9 iron feel so smooth

As you can see I had alot of success with these today, minus the 3. I want a full bag

Distance - these were pretty on par with my Nikes, which is surprising since the nikes are 1" longer and stronger lofted. I had no distance control issues. I think I need to get refitted. Maybe I don't need 1" over.

Shaft- this is actually where the irons shinned for me. The ball flight was higher then my nikes but like I said it didn't affect distance. I actually love the flight because the greens weren't summer soft. So the flight into the green really helped with a soft landing. I like the steepless shafts. Really smooth feeling. Think they fit my swing perfect .

Feel- felt smooth and good. No harsh vibrations or stinging. Even the off center hits felt good. Now don't get me wrong, you can tell it wasn't flushed but its not harsh. I actually think my nikes feel worse on mishits.

I was honestly laying up to 9 iron distance to par 5s. I really wanted to bit these as much as possible. I hope thus isn't just a first time thing. I'll be out Monday in colder weather and hope the feel doesn't change.

Any questions or comments don't hesitate!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Good feedback MK.

Another thing I forgot to add. With these shorter and weaker lofted then my current irons, I never once felt like I had to over swing or go hard at the ball with the j40s. They really responded well to my smooth tempo. Which is a real plus

Wow wow wow!! Shot an 84 today!!! These j40s are awesome!!

Best hole - 360 yard tight par 4. J40 3 iron off the tee, fairway, 162 left. J40 6 iron pin high just off the green. 60* wedge to 2 ft sink putt.

J40 3 iron- besides the above shot. I struggled with this iron. Its me not the club. I hit it a couple times off the fairway and couldn't really get a flush hit. I definitely need more time with it. I always struggle with long irons.

J40 6 iron- love it! If a shot called for a 7 iron, I'd pull out the 6 and take some off lol. I felt so confident with this iron. I'm usually hit or miss with anything longer then a 7. Not one bad shot. Averaged about 162 with the shots

J40 9 iron- sane as the 6. I was actually chipping with it. The smaller head didn't affect me at all. 9 iron feel so smooth

As you can see I had alot of success with these today, minus the 3. I want a full bag

Distance - these were pretty on par with my Nikes, which is surprising since the nikes are 1" longer and stronger lofted. I had no distance control issues. I think I need to get refitted. Maybe I don't need 1" over.

Shaft- this is actually where the irons shinned for me. The ball flight was higher then my nikes but like I said it didn't affect distance. I actually love the flight because the greens weren't summer soft. So the flight into the green really helped with a soft landing. I like the steepless shafts. Really smooth feeling. Think they fit my swing perfect .

Feel- felt smooth and good. No harsh vibrations or stinging. Even the off center hits felt good. Now don't get me wrong, you can tell it wasn't flushed but its not harsh. I actually think my nikes feel worse on mishits.

I was honestly laying up to 9 iron distance to par 5s. I really wanted to bit these as much as possible. I hope thus isn't just a first time thing. I'll be out Monday in colder weather and hope the feel doesn't change.

Any questions or comments don't hesitate!

Awesome write up there Matty!! Since we both play the same irons I am really looking forward to my turn on the list to hit these.

These irons have my attention as Bridgestone brings awesome stuff to the table :thumb:

Good stuff there MK, thanks for the great info. Keep working with the 3I and it will come. Laying up to a 9I distance on a par 5 is not a bad thing there buddy.

Thanks for the thoughts, Matty. Nice round, too!

Good info Matty. What shafts are you currently playing?

Good info Matty. What shafts are you currently playing?

It looks like from the pictures he is playing the TT Dynalite 110's. But I could be wrong.

Nice round MK, and good use of the Irons on the course.

It looks like from the pictures he is playing the TT Dynalite 110's. But I could be wrong.

That is correct

Played 9 today and still great results. I was going to the 6-9 as much as possible. Hit the 3 twice today. Once off the tee. Had a baby fade and nice high flight, but not to high or any ballooning. Went about 203.

Also hit it once off the fairway. Thinned it. Went about 160 with most of that being roll. I am going to try and get to the range this week and work on the 3.

I am really pondering hard about getting these irons. I hope more people give bridgestone a try!.. will be back later with more. Got the little one now :)

Another good update Matty! I know it's hard for a lengthy detailed write up when you are playing and just carrying 3 of the irons. You have me excited to get these - I need some forgiveness in my irons.

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Nice write up Matty, let us know how that 3 works out at the range, hope you sync up with it well.

Ill try. But I never could hit long irons. But I'm definitely going to put the work in on this one

Nice info so far Matty. Glad you are liking the irons!

These sound like some exciting sticks for sure. Can anybody compare these to a set of Z-Star irons???

These sound like some exciting sticks for sure. Can anybody compare these to a set of Z-Star irons???

From the limited amount I've hit the Z-Stars (from the outing), I can say that the Z-stars are much larger club heads (both blade length and topline, sole) and significantly more forgiving to go along with the bigger dimensions. I personally enjoyed the look and feel of the J40s more. They are really quite different in style.

Wow that 3 iron looks pretty thin and small for a cavity back set! Liked the write and numbers. Have always been a fan of Bridgestone clubs but too much for the Cleveland's to switch

Update coming!!

Went to the range today since course was booked :/. I hit about 20 balls with each iron.

3 iron- was hit or miss. I say maybe 7 decent shots. No really good ones. Ball didn't seem to be getting to airborne for me. Distance was alot shorter then my 3 hybrid. Beinging to think long irons just aren't for me

6 iron- out of 20 I would say I was happy with 14. High penetrating ball flight. Distance is as good as any iron I ever gamed. The smaller head actually makes me more confident

9 iron- in one statement, favorite single iron I ever owned. Out of 20, 18 were where I wanted. The 2 not so good shots were a little thin but that's my fault. Averaged around 132. See pictures below for this awesome grouping

After 2 rounds and a range session. These irons are as good or better then anything I've ever hit. I went with j38 as they were over $300 cheaper. If they perform close to they j40 ill be very happy.

9 iron
aefc16a0-c076-8f7c.jpg

6 iron
aefc16a0-c0a4-a316.jpg

3 iron
aefc16a0-c0cc-3b65.jpg

A little toeage with the 3 lol

Back