Practice rds or sat/sun?

dynarider

insert witty saying here
Reaction score
Handicap
twits
PGA Championship for 2010 is bing played at Whistling Straits here in Wi. I have never attended any professional golf tournament but have already applied for tickets to this event. I have heard that the practice rds are actually more fun & less crowded than the weekend, the crowded part I definitely know is true.

If you were to go, which days would you attend & why?

Saturday and SUnday. Although the practice rounds are less crowded, I want to see the competition.

Practice rounds are great if you just want to see the golfers and maybe get a few signatures. If you want to see quality golf and really see these guys in action you need to be there on the weekend. So I would say it depends on what you want to get out of the experience.

Go early in the week for pictures, autographs etc. Go Sunday to see the winner.

ya weekend is definately better in my opinion, the atmosphere is just different due to the competition. its way more fun to see the pros really grinding it out

When I go to the FBR i usually go Tuesday or Wednesday so the crowds are less and I get to see up close. Also I go to the range and watch the players are always more willing to talk on those days rather than when the competition starts.....

Really have no interest in autographs, but I have heard during the practice rds its easier to get closer to the players & actually follow them around as well as converse with them.

Really have no interest in autographs, but I have heard during the practice rds its easier to get closer to the players & actually follow them around as well as converse with them.

That's definitely the case Dyna. I think it depends on what you want to do while your there. If I were you I would go to both if possible, or one of each. The thing I like about practice rounds is you can get up close and talk to the players, and I like asking them how they hit certain shots and such. Also some players will let you see what's in their bag, and let you hold it and such. But if you wanna see them in action then I would say go on the weekend. The only problem is you can't really follow the big name players because a lot of people follow them, and it's hard to see what they are doing. That's my 2 cents.

i was at the ryder cup saturday, but i heard it was crowded everyday of play. obviously though cuz it was the ryder cup. it depends what you want, we found a little system that worked if u wanted to watch everybody come through a hole like say number 14 tee box happened to be next to 18 green, then u walk over to the green after most or all of the players that you wanted to see have teed off on 14

If you really want to follow a player but aren't too committed to a specific player, I suggest you volunteer. I've been a standard bearer several times, and it's the best job on the course. You're inside the ropes, watching everything from pre shot routine to course management. There is basically no actual thought involved in the job itself, so you can focus on play. The players won't chit-chat during the round, but sometimes the caddies will. You probably can't choose who you're with, but heck, it's gonna be people better than you. Volunteers get grounds passes for the days they don't work. It's customary for the standard bearers and walking scorers to get autographed balls at the end of the round. I don't understand why everyone in the world doesn't do this.

My wifes great uncle volunteered at the US Open last year, he was one of the guys holding up the "Quiet" signs on the tee boxes. Wish it would have been me.

My wifes great uncle volunteered at the US Open last year, he was one of the guys holding up the "Quiet" signs on the tee boxes. Wish it would have been me.

For tourneys, the club that's the venue typically reaches out to other clubs, organizations, etc. for volunteers. But if you want a specific job, go to the tourney's web site and sign up to volunteer there. Definitely worth it.

Actually I thought he said he was on a waiting list or something, maybe since it is the Open.

Actually I thought he said he was on a waiting list or something, maybe since it is the Open.

Dyna's talking about the lottery for tickets.

Hey MO, the Duramed Futures Tour is in KC May 15-17. I think we're going to go and root for BQ.

That would be outstanding, I wonder if you could request your "job"?

The one I volunteer for has us list our top three job requests. I've always gotten my first choice. Having any prior experience volunteering would likely help.

Back