The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? That certainly would seem to be a minor reason to get rid of a really good football player. If the Rooney's kept Big Ben around after his troubles then I certainly would expect them to keep Mendy.

Thry got rid of Holmes ASAP for a lot less than he was worth for his habitual pot smoking. If Ben would have been charged he would have been gone. However, it appears in the court of public opinion he was still found guilty.

Yes they do. Am I the only one who lost some respect for the Rooney's because they kept this guy on the team? For a family that was supposed to do things the "right way" keeping a rapist on the team doesn't seem to follow.

Nope, you are not the only one. I played golf a couple times with a hottie that went to Miami of OH when Rapistburger was there. She confirmed he was a super d-bag that made bad decisions back then too.

That depends wholly on how "minor" one considers Mendenhall's openly ridiculous (to me) rants.

They were rather ridiculous and I certainly disagreed with his opinion. However, you don't cut a talented 24-year old RB because he got a little Twitter happy. The Rooney's do run a class organization but the goal of their business is still to win championships. Cutting loose your franchise QB and RB certainly do not help with that goal.

Thry got rid of Holmes ASAP for a lot less than he was worth for his habitual pot smoking. If Ben would have been charged he would have been gone. However, it appears in the court of public opinion he was still found guilty.

Not looking like such a bad thing at this point. Holmes is blowing up in NY and I'd much rather have Antonio Brown.

They were rather ridiculous and I certainly disagreed with his opinion. However, you don't cut a talented 24-year old RB because he got a little Twitter happy. The Rooney's do run a class organization but the goal of their business is still to win championships. Cutting loose your franchise QB and RB certainly do not help with that goal.

And again, some would disagree with that (class organization). There was a time when nobody ran a team like them and having spent time with them personally, they are stand up people. But we all know that when the league suspended him, had he been a TE or backup QB, he would have been gone (Ben). Instead they chose talent over virtues in this case in my opinion. As for Mendenhall, no offense, that argument makes my point for me exactly.

Nope, you are not the only one. I played golf a couple times with a hottie that went to Miami of OH when Rapistburger was there. She confirmed he was a super d-bag that made bad decisions back then too.

I've actually heard the complete opposite. I have a few friends who attended Miami OH while Big Ben was there and they said he was actually a bit of a dork.

I've actually heard the complete opposite. I have a few friends who attended Miami OH while Big Ben was there and they said he was actually a bit of a dork.

Well, here is one from someone that worked with him for 2 months. He is/was a complete a$$hole and more so than just about any player we dealt with not named M. Faulk.

Well, here is one from someone that worked with him for 2 months. He is/was a complete a$$hole and more so than just about any player we dealt with not named M. Faulk.

Not debating that. He was a jerk for quite a while. I think that's pretty well documented. I've had encounters with him prior to his problems in Georgia and he was completely unapproachable and rude. Period. I've had encounters with him post-Georgia and he seemed like a different person. He was engaging and rather friendly.

ANybody that just escaped jail and saving millions of dollars would be smiling. Your a fan, thats cool and I respect that. But selling him as a "changed man", you have to expect others to severely doubt it based on the facts that are known.

ANybody that just escaped jail and saving millions of dollars would be smiling. Your a fan, thats cool and I respect that. But selling him as a "changed man", you have to expect others to severely doubt it based on the facts that are known.
Wasnt he a changed man after the bike wreck? Then changed again after the first rape allegation? Guess 3rd time is a charm. I feel sorry for his wife.

Again, no argument here. I obviously have a very black-and-gold perspective.

Personally, I'd have been quite upset if the Steelers would've dumped either Ben or Mendenhall. I watch professional football for exactly that - the football. I'm a huge fan of the game and don't particularly view the players as role-models. Fact is, the Steelers have a much better chance at winning a championship with Big Ben and Mendenhall. My role-models have never been professional athletes - my role-models are my parents, my grandmother, my brothers, the people who actually have influenced my life in a positive way. Now, sure, I'd much prefer that Ben didn't act like a bum and it'd be great if Mendenhall would just keep his controversial thoughts to himself, but at the end of the day I show up at Heinz Field every weekend to watch a winning product on the field. Is that a great way of looking at things? Maybe not but it's the truth.

Wasnt he a changed man after the bike wreck? Then changed again after the first rape allegation? Guess 3rd time is a charm. I feel sorry for his wife.

Every time I think of the bike wreck, I think of the De De De song by Carlos Mencia.

Again, no argument here. I obviously have a very black-and-gold perspective.

Personally, I'd have been quite upset if the Steelers would've dumped either Ben or Mendenhall. I watch professional football for exactly that - the football. I'm a huge fan of the game and don't particularly view the players as role-models. Fact is, the Steelers have a much better chance at winning a championship with Big Ben and Mendenhall. My role-models have never been professional athletes - my role-models are my parents, my grandmother, my brothers, the people who actually have influenced my life in a positive way. Now, sure, I'd much prefer that Ben didn't act like a bum and it'd be great if Mendenhall would just keep his controversial thoughts to himself, but at the end of the day I show up at Heinz Field every weekend to watch a winning product on the field. Is that a great way of looking at things? Maybe not but it's the truth.

That again becomes one's threshold for what they view as acceptable. Had he murdered someone or raped a little boy, something tells me you would have a different outlook. Its about one's ability to separate and it always comes down to threshold. Some set it at only heinous crimes, others have the bar set a little lower and dont care or tolerate much less.

Every time I think of the bike wreck, I think of the De De De song by Carlos Mencia.
Haha, no helmet needed...

That again becomes one's threshold for what they view as acceptable. Had he murdered someone or raped a little boy, something tells me you would have a different outlook. Its about one's ability to separate and it always comes down to threshold. Some set it at only heinous crimes, others have the bar set a little lower and dont care or tolerate much less.

If Ben were convicted of a crime then my opinion would differ greatly. In fact, if he were convicted of a crime I don't think he'd be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. View the evidence as you may but the fact is that Ben was not convicted (not that I expect that to change your opinion of him).

Curious - doesn't seem like many people harp on the actions of Ray Lewis anymore. Why is that? Similar situation but he instead may have escaped a murder charge.

If Ben were convicted of a crime then my opinion would differ greatly. In fact, if he were convicted of a crime I don't think he'd be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. View the evidence as you may but the fact is that Ben was not convicted (not that I expect that to change your opinion of him).

Curious - doesn't seem like many people harp on the actions of Ray Lewis anymore. Why is that? Similar situation but he instead may have escaped a murder charge.

Sure they do. Take a look through the thread.

Why do you think Ben was suspended from the NFL? And if innocence were questioned, why did he not seek legal action?

Sure they do. Take a look through the thread.

Why do you think Ben was suspended from the NFL? And if innocence were questioned, why did he not seek legal action?

I'm of the opinion that Goodell overstepped his boundaries in suspending Ben for as long as he did. You tell me - why was he suspended? Is being a jerk in direct violation of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy? Not really. Was he a jerk? Yep. Did he act in a shady fashion? Yep. However, Goodell suspended Ben longer than players who had actually been convicted of a crime at the time (some of whom were not suspended at all).

If you were Big Ben's legal counsel, would you recommend he seeks legal action or rather just let the situation hopefully dissipate?

If I was innocent of a crime I was being suspended of, I ABSOLUTELY would have been seeking legal action.
However when one is guilty of multiple things, you take the suspension and hope things "go away". Which is absolutely what was done. As a Steelers fan and a Big Ben fan, I dont expect you to see the other side of things, and like I said, I respect that as far as fanatics go.

But dont try to sell me on his "innocence" and being a changed man.

What's funniest is that Pig Pen can't even pick up a chick in Milledgeville, GA. What a loser.

I do, and it was within the last few days on this board.

If I was innocent of a crime I was being suspended of, I ABSOLUTELY would have been seeking legal action.
However when one is guilty of multiple things, you take the suspension and hope things "go away". Which is absolutely what was done. As a Steelers fan and a Big Ben fan, I dont expect you to see the other side of things, and like I said, I respect that as far as fanatics go.

But dont try to sell me on his "innocence" and being a changed man.

He was under an absolute firestorm of public criticism. The absolute worst thing that could've happened for him at the time was the entire situation dragging on. A millionaire filing legal action against a 20-year-old woman probably wouldn't be the advice of too many PR firms out there.

And I'm not trying to sell you on his innocence. I don't expect to change people's opinions of Ben. I'm just sharing my personal experiences involving him before and after his incidents in Georgia. Take them as you please. He acted like a jerk previously. He didn't act like a jerk when I've last encountered him. That's not an attempt to change your opinion of him as a person.

I do, and it was within the last few days on this board.

Apologies for missing it then. Should've done a quick search before making that statement.

I didnt say to sue the lady charging him, although I absolutely would have done that as well. I said sue the NFL for suspending him for a crime I did not commit. The PA would have absolutely supported it, however the facts were stacked against him since civilly, its not about reasonable doubt.

I didnt say to sue the lady charging him, although I absolutely would have done that as well. I said sue the NFL for suspending him for a crime I did not commit. The PA would have absolutely supported it, however the facts were stacked against him since civilly, its not about reasonable doubt.

I'd say the Steelers organization had something to do with him not taking any action against the NFL.

I'd say the Steelers organization had something to do with him not taking any action against the NFL.

And the fact that suing a league when you are guilty of multiple acts is not in the best interest of the organization. There is nothing supporting anything that the Steelers told a guy that was alleged of a heinous crime to not prove his innocence. And I cannot imagine a group of respected people like the Rooney's EVER standing in the way of proving one's innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back