Kodak files for Chapter 11 Bankrupcy

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Guess that explains why they dropped sponsorship of the Kodak Challenge.

Eastman Kodak Co. is preparing for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy-protection filing in the coming weeks should efforts to sell a trove of digital patents fall through, people familiar with the matter said.
The struggling photography icon, which employs about 19,000 people, is in discussions with potential lenders for around $1 billion in so-called debtor-in possession financing that would keep it afloat during bankruptcy proceedings, the people said. A filing could occur as soon as this month or early February, one of the people said.
A Kodak spokesman said the company "does not comment on market rumor or speculation."
Should Kodak seek Chapter 11 protection from creditors, the company would then try to sell its portfolio of 1,100 patents through a court-supervised bankruptcy auction, the people said. Kodak would continue to pay its bills and operate normally while under bankruptcy protection, the people said.

Kodak is still making last-ditch efforts to sell the patents, which would keep the company from filing for bankruptcy protection, one of the people said. But the 131-year-old former blue chip company has started making preparations for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing if those efforts don't come to fruition, the person said.
Kodak warned in a securities filing in November it will run out of cash to fund operations unless it sells its patents or is able to borrow more money. Three directors recently left the company's board.
On Tuesday, Kodak disclosed that the New York Stock Exchange warned the company it could be delisted unless its fortunes rebound in the next six months. Kodak's shares have closed under $1 for 30 consecutive trading days.

To tell you the truth this isn't too big of a surprise to me. After living in Rochester, NY, where the company is based out of, an seeing them tear down building after building for many years because they couldn't afford it was sad to watch. It's very sad to see a company that's been around for so many years have to file for Chapter 11.

That is sad to hear. I remember working in electronics when we couldn't keep the camera dock/printers on the shelf. People loved those things.

This is sad. Kodak to me is one of the companies that our economy is founded upon to some degree. It happens, but it still stinks.

I find this sad. Kodak was a huge part of Rochester for a long time.

A sad day, I remember going to school in Rochester and how much a part of the community Kodak was back then.

Stinks. Kodak was never tops at just one thing (recently). They did lots of things average to above average. Just my perception. Maybe if they had put a product or two that performed considerably better than something else the brand would survive.

Another American icon in financial straights, I often wonder what my dad would have thought of the state of the US economy now, he passed away in '91 and there has been some amazing changes since then. Sad announcement to me.

I unfortunately saw this one coming. I was reading an article just the other day in the WSJ about Kodak and how they were in serious trouble. They talked about their timeline and how many people they have laid off in the last 5 (or maybe it was even 10) years. It's really sad!

In the article I read, they talked about how George Eastman was suffering from an illness and shot himself to death and left a note saying that he knew the success of his company was set for life so he was ready to end his own. I am paraphrasing of course, but it was a pretty powerful article.

This suck! I bought a Kodak printer about a year and a half ago. They are great printers. Cheap ink and cheap photo paper too!

This suck! I bought a Kodak printer about a year and a half ago. They are great printers. Cheap ink and cheap photo paper too!

I just got one too and really like it

I unfortunately saw this one coming. I was reading an article just the other day in the WSJ about Kodak and how they were in serious trouble. They talked about their timeline and how many people they have laid off in the last 5 (or maybe it was even 10) years. It's really sad!

In the article I read, they talked about how George Eastman was suffering from an illness and shot himself to death and left a note saying that he knew the success of his company was set for life so he was ready to end his own. I am paraphrasing of course, but it was a pretty powerful article.
I know they do more than film, but once the digital cameras came out I was wondering how long a company known predominantly for its film would stay successful.

I know they do more than film, but once the digital cameras came out I was wondering how long a company known predominantly for its film would stay successful.

Fuji seems to still be hanging around though

Kodak Nexpress is the best quality digital color printing technology I have seen but they have done a terrible job of selling it, HP and Xerox have done a much better job. Commercial digital printing could be a big money maker for them, not sure why it isn't.

Well, Kodak finally filed for chapter 11 protection about 30 minutes ago. They got about $950 million in financing. Sounds like the milestones will be fairly strict and short... Making it a fairly quick turnaround for the issues they will be facing.

Back