I need a pad or pads.

You're not helping. lol. Kev, you seem to know things, what about the Apple having half the GBs, half the Ram, etc? Is that going to be something I'll notice?

Kevin

I'm not Kev, but I can almost assure you that the GBs and Ram are not an issue. Unless you plan on putting all of your music and movies and stuff on your tablet.

Congrats on your first app download too buddy. You need to get The Facebook app too, that way we can always talk stupid crap to Tmex. I'm not much of an app person myself. I like my tapatalk, facebook, twitter, ebay, paypal, FF apps.

I'm not Kev, but I can almost assure you that the GBs and Ram are not an issue. Unless you plan on putting all of your music and movies and stuff on your tablet.

Congrats on your first app download too buddy. You need to get The Facebook app too, that way we can always talk stupid crap to Tmex. I'm not much of an app person myself. I like my tapatalk, facebook, twitter, ebay, paypal, FF apps.

That Tmex is the king of The Facebook. I click on the pictures of the girls that post on his wall. Some cuties on there.

My daughter likes to make movies so the iMovies thing has appeal. For $100 I can upgrade to 32GB. And now my wife, look at her sitting over there, is saying maybe we should just do that, and also buy the adapter thing to read an SD card.

She changes her mind like every 5 minutes. Is that normal?

Kevin

You're not helping. lol. Kev, you seem to know things, what about the Apple having half the GBs, half the Ram, etc? Is that going to be something I'll notice?

Kevin

No, first off I doubt you will ever get anywhere near the 16 GB capacity on the IPad....I use mine for all kinds of stuff and I only have about 8 GB of stuff on mine.

As far as the RAM goes,,,you are not comparing apples to apples (pun intended)....the Asus runs a different Operation system that needs more RAM just to keep up with the Apple operation system....so no you won't notice.

The biggest issue with the Asus I see is the fact that you still don't know if they have or can fix the issue with the WIFI....to me that would be a deal breaker.

That Tmex is the king of The Facebook. I click on the pictures of the girls that post on his wall. Some cuties on there.

My daughter likes to make movies so the iMovies thing has appeal. For $100 I can upgrade to 32GB. And now my wife, look at her sitting over there, is saying maybe we should just do that, and also buy the adapter thing to read an SD card.

Kevin

You've been married longer than I have. I have no clue what's normal with women. Yeah, I The Facebook stalk Tmex's lady friends too. His Aunt is secretly in love with me.

No, first off I doubt you will ever get anywhere near the 16 GB capacity on the IPad....I use mine for all kinds of stuff and I only have about 8 GB of stuff on mine.

As far as the RAM goes,,,you are not comparing apples to apples (pun intended)....the Asus runs a different Operation system that needs more RAM just to keep up with the Apple operation system....so no you won't notice.

The biggest issue with the Asus I see is the fact that you still don't know if they have or can fix the issue with the WIFI....to me that would be a deal breaker.

Thanks for this. I want my wife to make a decision and this is the kind of thing that makes an impact with her. This Asus thing sounds great aside from the Wifi, and seems like techies like the company a lot. But as my posts in this thread indicate, we are far from techies, and in fact I'm a freakin' cave man. Apple sounds easy and reliable.

That's my vote. My wife is still waffling.

Kevin

Well, if your wife needs facts then it is easy as the Ipad has been around for several years with NO issues...you don't hear about anybody returning them or anything.

You really can't say that about Asus.....so far they have put out a couple of versions each with some kind of major issues and they really just started doing this....so they arent proven at all.

They are 20 times as many apps for an Ipad as there are for an Android tablet

They have attachments for everything for an Ipad...even one that has a meat thermometer....yes, seriously.....Android....not so much stuff for it.

I could keep going here, but I think you see the point....the market for attachments, apps and aftermarket programs is all geared towards apple, because it's proven and it works.

To a point you are correct, but there a ton of tablets on the market with much better hardware specs than the Apple, what sets the ipad apart is the software, not the hardware.

To a point you are correct, but there a ton of tablets on the market with much better hardware specs than the Apple, what sets the ipad apart is the software, not the hardware.

That's what I meant CB when I said they run different OS's and one needs more resources to run than the other.....guess I wasn't as clear on it.

What other recent android tablets have people had success with? I know the iPad is really good, but what else is out there that people have a luck with

That's what I meant CB when I said they run different OS's and one needs more resources to run than the other.....guess I wasn't as clear on it.
Sorry you were clear, I don't think I was, yes some of the Android tablets use more ram for their OS but they still have more available RAM then the Ipad counter part. I think the Ipad is a great product, and my wife loves hers, but for me I would go Android for a few reasons if I was looking for a tablet along the same lines as an Ipad.

I see tablets going to the way of cell phones in that Android will quickly start to dominate the market share and as that happen's the apps store and features that after market companies will create will grow by leaps and bounds.

Sorry you were clear, I don't think I was, yes some of the Android tablets use more ram for their OS but they still have more available RAM then the Ipad counter part. I think the Ipad is a great product, and my wife loves hers, but for me I would go Android for a few reasons if I was looking for a tablet along the same lines as an Ipad.

I see tablets going to the way of cell phones in that Android will quickly start to dominate the market share and as that happen's the apps store and features that after market companies will create will grow by leaps and bounds.

That's possible....although the main reason I think the phones have done that is price and the fact the AT&T had an exclusive agreement with the Iphone for so long and people didn't like them.

If Apple follows through with the Big price cut on the Ipad 2 when the Ipad 3 is released, I think that will hurt several of the Android tablets.

That's possible....although the main reason I think the phones have done that is price and the fact the AT&T had an exclusive agreement with the Iphone for so long and people didn't like them.

If Apple follows through with the Big price cut on the Ipad 2 when the Ipad 3 is released, I think that will hurt several of the Android tablets.
I'm not saying the ipads will go away, but I do think that Android will take at least say 60% of the tablet market share by this time next year and when that happens (if it already hasn't, I'm looking at that now) the fact that the current android marketplace has less apps will change.

Android tablets will always be cheaper than ipads for a few reasons.

if Verizon had agreed to terms with Apple over the 1st generation iPhone then it would dominate the cell phone market. Verizon has the best coverage in this country. And android battery life blows nut.

if Verizon had agreed to terms with Apple over the 1st generation iPhone then it would dominate the cell phone market. Verizon has the best coverage in this country. And android battery life blows nut.

I agree on both counts

The fact that ANdroids market share continues to grow every year (7 points in 2010, 5 points in 2011) and now own 34% of the market share are pretty crazy numbers. The battery life does blow on a number of their phones, but like any product they have flaws that need to be worked out. I think that when its all said and done with Tablets it will be similar to the cell phone market share where Apple has 25% of the marketshare, which as a single company is really pretty awesome.

The only reason I brought this up at all, is to say that if you are staying away from Android tablets because of the marketplace and aftermarket products, I wouldn't. There will be more and more apps and products added daily as the Marketplace grows in Marketshare.

I keep getting more confused.

My wife is convinced she the greater storage of the Asus and it's supposedly superior camera are important, but the Wifi issue seems real, and from things she was reading last night the reason for it beyond stupid. Comments state the metal back on the Asus block Wifi. Apple has their Wifi antennas behind a small plastic section of the pad. For a supposedly high end hardware company like Asus to not realize this during development seems awfully strange. wth?

I don't want to have my fancy tablet in a hotel somewhere and not be able to get on line. Or in a Starbucks.

Kevin

I don't know about all those numbers. I think a large % of android users are so b/c they are simply anti-Apple. That's fine and dandy by me though. I also think that android is a lot like Taylormade. They have new phones all the time. With the iPhone, it's just one phone. Not many options.

Either way, I think esox has gotten a lot of good information so far.

I don't know about all those numbers. I think a large % of android users are so b/c they are simply anti-Apple. That's fine and dandy by me though. I also think that android is a lot like Taylormade. They have new phones all the time. With the iPhone, it's just one phone. Not many options.

Either way, I think esox has gotten a lot of good information so far.
Agreed and I don't think he can really go wrong here. I'm checking a nerd forum I belong to for info on the wifi issues with the ASUS.

You've been married longer than I have. I have no clue what's normal with women. Yeah, I The Facebook stalk Tmex's lady friends too. His Aunt is secretly in love with me.

Kevin

Lol.... That facebook gets me in a lot of trouble haha. I love having you guys on there and I think the FB app is a must Esox.

Esox, I've owned a tablet that covers every almost every main operating system. I went through a phase. Apple for its ease of use and stability, android has a ton of potential and I'm a blackberry homer. Sucks because the blackberry has probably the smoothest OS I've used and it's video recording is top notch. But unless you're a blackberry nutjob (like me) its useless until they roll out the update in feb.

I'd probably go apple if I were you, I havent read the whole thread yet lol so I don't know if you did. Just seems to fit your needs more. Android is awesome but probably more than you want to deal with I'd reckon.

Just a note... IPad 3 in March... Going to be sick.

The fact that ANdroids market share continues to grow every year (7 points in 2010, 5 points in 2011) and now own 34% of the market share are pretty crazy numbers. The battery life does blow on a number of their phones, but like any product they have flaws that need to be worked out. I think that when its all said and done with Tablets it will be similar to the cell phone market share where Apple has 25% of the marketshare, which as a single company is really pretty awesome.

The only reason I brought this up at all, is to say that if you are staying away from Android tablets because of the marketplace and aftermarket products, I wouldn't. There will be more and more apps and products added daily as the Marketplace grows in Marketshare.

And while I agree with you that the Android tablets will continue to grow in popularity....for this paticular instance.....I think for what he is trying to acomplish Esox would be better off with the Ipad.

He is not a techie guy that is going to do all kinds of fancy stuff the requires the open architecture and I really don't think 16GB vs 32 GB is a problem either. For what he is wanting the Ipad is more stable and just a better option right now...it works with zero issues.....you can't say that about the Asus right now.

Agreed and I don't think he can really go wrong here. I'm checking a nerd forum I belong to for info on the wifi issues with the ASUS.

Sweet. I love all you nerds. I think my wife really wants to go the ASUS route, but that is the one thing holding us back. Comments online indicate people can't even be on the other side of their house from their router.

Kevin

What other recent android tablets have people had success with? I know the iPad is really good, but what else is out there that people have a luck with

I think once the update hits (although you can hack it now) the Blackberry tablet is a must for blackberry owners. No tethering charges for internet, you'll have the android marketplace and it's video recording is sick. But until then its my internet tablet lol. And Morgan Cup/THP recorder.

I've learned one thing from this thread. Esox and I are not nerds. We are large, hairy, and technological rutarde'. I've enjoyed reading this thread. I feel more educated.

I've learned one thing from this thread. Esox and I are not nerds. We are large, hairy, and technological rutarde'. I've enjoyed reading this thread. I feel more educated.

I'm not a nerd either.....just play one at work from time to time...LOL

Sweet. I love all you nerds. I think my wife really wants to go the ASUS route, but that is the one thing holding us back. Comments online indicate people can't even be on the other side of their house from their router.

Kevin

What's your time frame? With CES next week, they are going to be announcing some really good tablets. On par with the ASUS specs and hopefully not the wifi issue.

Back