Bettinardi Studio B Fitting

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
As part of the amazing experience being involved in The Morgan Cup myself and Howzat were able to have the opportunity to go get a fitting done at Studio B near Minneapolis, MN. Studio B was developed by the folks at Bettinardi Golf to fit golfers for their exact putter specifications to improve the way they use their putters to make more putts. This thread will be used to document our journey.

Arriving at Studio B:

The Studio B in Minnesota is setup in the back of a 2nd Swing Golf store, the store has tons of golf equipment and hitting bays and fitting areas but in the very back they have a nice big area setup and devoted to their Studio B fittings.

5606d202.jpg

Starting the fitting:

Howzat was first up and before anything else Brent (fitting professional) wanted to find out A. what kind of stroke Howzat had (straight back/straight thru, strong arc, mild arc) and B. the length of putter he should be using. Howzat's response was that he was a strong arc putter but it turns out that it was the fitting of his current putter that forced him into that stroke and they immediately altered his own putter's lie angle and came up with the suggestion of a shorter putter to allow Howzat to get over the ball more. This also immediately changed his stroke to a very repeatable mild arc path. Here is a video of them getting started:

Here is Brent altering the putter that Howzat brought with him to the fitting (his own Bettinardi Boxcar)
eeeca593.jpg

After the proper lie angle and length was established the fun of rolling the 2012 Bettinardi putters began. Based on what they had learned right away Brent was able to recommend some putters that Howzat would likely have success with and he tried every one of them. Here is a video of Howzat first getting started rolling the new Bettinardi's.

So once they have a putter that he liked the feel of they would utilize the laser system along with mirrors attached to the face of the putter to check to see where he was lined up at in relation to the hole both at address and at impact. This information goes on to further identify if the proper fit is there.

Here's a look at all the putters Howzat had it "narrowed" down to.

OK so we finally have a putter picked out, the lie angle is perfect the alignment and stroke are great and now it's time to look at the loft. The loft of the putter is going to have a direct affect on the skid vs. immediate roll out of the ball after the stroke. There is a camera setup to capture this with each stroke so here they are looking over the putter Howzat has determined is the best fit for him (SS10) after making some adjustments to the loft for maximum performance on the type of greens he typically plays. Brent went on to explain that for faster greens it is better to have a setup to minimize the skidding and get the ball rolling right away. That is what Howzat was looking for and this video shows some of the results. As you can see the roll out starts immediately for what should be a perfectly rolled putt.

After Howzat's fitting it was my turn, because I was there watching and soaking all of this information in we were really able to just get some putters out and start with fitting right away. Howzat has some videos of my fitting that he'll get posted up once he has some time, he's catching up from a day away from work so look for something soon. I did grab a video on my way home that was just me catching some of my thoughts from the fitting and as soon as that is done uploading I will get that posted.

I will say that without a doubt had we not been through this fitting BOTH of us would have ordered putters that would not have been setup properly for us. This was a huge eye opening experience for both of us and we are extremely grateful to have been given the opportunity to do this. Thank you Bettinardi and THP for this experience! More to come soon.

Can't wait to watch these videos my friend! What did you end up with P4B?

I can't wait to see those videos. What an awesome sounding time, Jake and Howzat!

That is just awesome! Looks like you guys had a great experience. Not gonna lie, I am a little jealous right now too,

Can't wait to watch these videos my friend! What did you end up with P4B?
I went into this thinking that I'd be ordering a SS9 because I liked the look of the double bend and the wide body but after my fitting and realizing that this face balanced putter would definitely not be a good fit for me I had my search narrowed down to 3. The SS5, the BB8 and the Queen B 2. I ended up ordering a BB8, the Honeycomb face won me over man. I love that softer feel that it offered.

WOW! Thanks for posting those up P4B, very interesting. Love the putters he "narrowed" it down to. Thanks for sharing.

That's some neat stuff guys. Would love to go through their fitting and own one of their beauties one day.

I love this. Such an amazing experience that I think will change your game. The "right" putter for your stroke is an amazing weapon to have on the course.

Another great write up about the experiences at Studio B. Jake I think that it's great that you chronicled Howzats fitting process. I loved the videos. That last video where you can see the roll off the ball off of the putter was great. I know you were raving about the experience to me yesterday. So glad that some of the Bridgestone staffers were able to take advantage of this opportunity.

On a side note: How awesome is that Red White and Blue Bridgestone staff bag?

Another great write up about the experiences at Studio B. Jake I think that it's great that you chronicled Howzats fitting process. I loved the videos. That last video where you can see the roll off the ball off of the putter was great. I know you were raving about the experience to me yesterday. So glad that some of the Bridgestone staffers were able to take advantage of this opportunity.

On a side note: How awesome is that Red White and Blue Bridgestone staff bag?
You mean this one?

b5aac623.jpg

Yeah it's pretty awesome alright!!

GORGEOUS!

But let me at the Headcover case and I'd be in heaven. hehehehe

You mean this one?

b5aac623.jpg

Yeah it's pretty awesome alright!!

yup, that's the one!
Man check out all of those head covers in the back too....it's like visiting Jman's house haha

I went into this thinking that I'd be ordering a SS9 because I liked the look of the double bend and the wide body but after my fitting and realizing that this face balanced putter would definitely not be a good fit for me I had my search narrowed down to 3. The SS5, the BB8 and the Queen B 2. I ended up ordering a BB8, the Honeycomb face won me over man. I love that softer feel that it offered.

That's awesome dude! Fantastic job again on guiding us through this.

That is so cool, guys....insanely jealous of you! This process is definitely going to make you guys better with the flatstick. You'll enjoy your beautiful babies soon!

Wow - great job on sharing the process with us Jake! The technology behind this putter fitting appears to be exactly what any golfer would benefit going through.

From watching Howzat through the process, I am thinking he did not go the belly putter route - looking forward to seeing what won out in the end.

And this is the first time I have ever said and probably last, that I wish I was near Chicago or Minneapolis! :D

Great video's P4B, I loved watching that and that looks like an amazing experience. It really made me want to do a putter fitting as it is the only club in my bag that is not fit for me, and the one club you use the most.

Wow, what a great time guy's, jealousy don't even describe it. You mentioned Howzat going from the FIT face to Honeycomb, was there a specific reason for one material fitting him better?

That's awesome dude! Fantastic job again on guiding us through this.
Believe me, it's my pleasure. This was such a cool experience and without a doubt it is going to make me a better putter. When I was talking to Brent right as we were beginning my fitting he asked my typical miss (push or pull) and I told him that it was inconsistently both and after learning what I now know about my stroke and the fit I need it's no wonder. There is a laser that reflects off the face of the putter and after getting me all setup literally every putt was lined up dead center of the hole at setup and at impact. I may never miss a 10 foot putt again!

Awesome experience guys!

Wow, what a great time guy's, jealousy don't even describe it. You mentioned Howzat going from the FIT face to Honeycomb, was there a specific reason for one material fitting him better?
Actually Duey he went the other way, he has a Honeycomb face on his current Betti but the one he ordered is a Studio Stock with the FIT face. I was the one that thought I'd like the FIT face more but ultimately decided to stick with the Honeycomb. The feel of the Honeycomb is soft and sounds soft where as the feel of the FIT face is a little more firm than I liked when comparing it side by side to the Honeycomb face. I think Howzat has videos of my skid vs. roll out and it's not as immediate of a roll out like his ended up but the FIT face has a lot to do with that. Had I gone with that face I could have improved my roll out a little but we were still able to get it very very good with the Honeycomb and I just preferred the feel of that one more. So I'm very happy with the results.

Actually Duey he went the other way, he has a Honeycomb face on his current Betti but the one he ordered is a Studio Stock with the FIT face. I was the one that thought I'd like the FIT face more but ultimately decided to stick with the Honeycomb. The feel of the Honeycomb is soft and sounds soft where as the feel of the FIT face is a little more firm than I liked when comparing it side by side to the Honeycomb face. I think Howzat has videos of my skid vs. roll out and it's not as immediate of a roll out like his ended up but the FIT face has a lot to do with that. Had I gone with that face I could have improved my roll out a little but we were still able to get it very very good with the Honeycomb and I just preferred the feel of that one more. So I'm very happy with the results.

Lot's of great information here, thanks and enjoy!

Those are some awesome videos! They really know what they're doing. Glad you got a great fitting and a great experience to boot!

Excellent job P4B.....it got real in a hurry didn't it?

This has been awesome. Tons of information packed in these videos. When you picked up the Queen Bee, I got all happy. I still dont believe its a womans putter. haha

Back