Changing my grip, again!

Dr.Deuss

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been switching between interlocking, and overlapping grip for the last several years. Not every round or shot or anything, usually only after several months of using one. Sometimes I'll start to get pain in my right wrist, and switch from that. Now I finally have fitted irons with the correct grip size, Overlapping is feeling a lot more solid in my hands. Giving me a bit better release, and lets me soften up my right elbow.

Have you ever switched up your grip style? Which do you prefer?

I've gone back and forth between these two also and the interlocking feels more comfortable to me, but for some reason I keep trying the overlap.

I started out with the interlocking but did not like the gap it created and sometimes hurt my fingers. Now I am set on overlap and will not go back.

I just switched to interlocking a couple weeks ago after 40 years over overlapping. Feels great. Getting a much better release.

I usually interlock but im going to try overlapping during my winter sim league. I saw jonhnie miller saying on golf channel that it will feel strange for a few weeks.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

I use interlocking. It just gives me a more solid-feeling grip through impact.

I used interlocking for many years, switched to 10 finger/baseball, and now I'm back to interlocking. Interlocking causes me to have some pain in my pinky finger on my right hand so I don't know how long it will last. I have tried the overlapping but it just felt weird to me.

I use interlock and always have. In my lessons he's been trying to fix my grip and its a struggle. Played a few holes today and it never felt right. I was constantly messing with and checking my grip.

Switched from ten finger to interlock about five years ago and don't think I could switch to anything now.

I went from baseball to interlocking. An instructor years ago tried to get me to use interlocking, but it was uncomfortable to me. to many years playing ball I guess.
My ball striking has been really improving since the switch.

I came out of the womb interlocked. nothing else is comfortable

Ten finger ftw. Everything else feels wrong.

Me too. Everything else feels wrong and makes controlling the club much more difficult for me.

I'm an overlapper and have never done anything else. I once tried interlocking for about 2 swings and that was enough for me.

Started with interlock and moved to overlap after my very first lessons about 2 years ago.

I started with a baseball grip as a junior player...the switched to interlock many years ago...the lessons I am taking has me strengthening my grip and it's caused some pain with the fingers and I tried the overlap, but it feels so weird!

Kinda interesting to see more interlocks than overlaps here...overlap is supposed to be the predominant grip in golf

Interlock here for me. Tried overlap never felt right did play with ten finger for a while but never felt right interlock all the way!

Started out interlocking, that lasted for about 2 weeks until my fingers were rubbed raw (very bony fingers and knuckles) and now I use overlap and love it. For wedge shots I always use 10 finger though, don't know if that's right, it's just what I feel comfortable with.

It's always seemed I get a bit more distance with overlap, but before I didn't have enough trust the club wasn't going to fly out of my hand. And with my last grips that were at +3 wraps, there was no way I could really hold it using overlap. I learned how to play as a kid with interlocking too.

I've always used interlocking, but Johnny Miller says what you just did - overlap will give you a better release.

baseball here but trying interlock and it is a struggle,feels so weird.

I've been interlocking ever since I started playing in the early 70's.

Finally got out to play today, and played the entire day with overlap grip. I will be sticking with this now, thank you very much. Shot 39-39 for 78. Finally had control on my driver, probably my best driving round in the last couple years. 10/14 fairways. Three of the misses were only a 1/2 step or so into the rough. The 4th miss was a drive-able par 4 that I was pin high just of to the right. Couldn't turn over my 3 wood or hybrid, but I think they messed up the size when they were re-gripped last week. Irons were all solid except for one random sh**k, which I saved par from. Just felt a lot more relaxed in my hands and arms today.

I prefer overlap. I've tried interlocking but I cannot get comfortable with it at all. I also tried ten finger but didn't like that at all.

Back