TaylorMade RocketBallz RBZ Irons Preview

I know it is all about marketing, and Taylormade is neither the lone culprit nor the originator of the idea, but it really needs to stop somewhere. Why does TM even have an AW in this set? Their A wedge is 50*, which was a P wedge 10 or 15 years ago. Maybe 20. If they just re-named their AW a PW, called the PW a 9 iron, and so forth, then their 4 iron would only be a little bit longer and 1 degree stronger than my current 4 iron and all would be right with the world. Of course, my current 4 iron would have been a 3 iron 15 years ago, but I am actually happy that the gaps between the irons is increasing.

I know its all about marketing and consumer expectations, but where does it end? In 10 years will a 6 iron be 21*? Are we all going to carry gap wedges, approach wedges, two sand wedges, AND a lob wedge?

uscgmk suggested they only print lofts on the irons, like most wedge companies do. The only problem with that is the way that human memory works. Most people need names for their irons instead of just a loft designation. It is easier to remember how far you hit your 7 iron than it is to remember how far you hit your 35* iron. I know 7 is a number, but in this case its really just a name. Think about how many people call their wedges "sand wedge", "lob wedge", "gap wedge" or whatever, when all the club has stamped on it is a number.

I am excited to see these in a store and give them a hit, and see some numbers. In the market for a new set this spring and since Taylormade is my old faithful, looks like they are gonna be at the top of a short list of irons that I will be testing and trying to decide which ones to pick-up and put into play.

It's killing me, but I have to pass. Stupid winter in Wisconsin.

Doesn't this speak more to the technology that makes these stronger lofted clubs easier to hit. Plus don't irons need to keep up in distances from new drivers, FW's and hybrids. If not gapping would be awful.

I know it is all about marketing, and Taylormade is neither the lone culprit nor the originator of the idea, but it really needs to stop somewhere. Why does TM even have an AW in this set? Their A wedge is 50*, which was a P wedge 10 or 15 years ago. Maybe 20. If they just re-named their AW a PW, called the PW a 9 iron, and so forth, then their 4 iron would only be a little bit longer and 1 degree stronger than my current 4 iron and all would be right with the world. Of course, my current 4 iron would have been a 3 iron 15 years ago, but I am actually happy that the gaps between the irons is increasing.

I know its all about marketing and consumer expectations, but where does it end? In 10 years will a 6 iron be 21*? Are we all going to carry gap wedges, approach wedges, two sand wedges, AND a lob wedge?

uscgmk suggested they only print lofts on the irons, like most wedge companies do. The only problem with that is the way that human memory works. Most people need names for their irons instead of just a loft designation. It is easier to remember how far you hit your 7 iron than it is to remember how far you hit your 35* iron. I know 7 is a number, but in this case its really just a name. Think about how many people call their wedges "sand wedge", "lob wedge", "gap wedge" or whatever, when all the club has stamped on it is a number.

as long as the stronger lofted irons are easy to hit, then I'm all for em, but if the irons are long but lose playability/forgiveness, then i don't think it's for the masses.

Interesting convo. I have stronger lofted irons and don't feel they're any harder to hit. It's more than just strengthening lofts, there is a lot that goes into the design of the heads themselves that assist with getting those stronger lofts up in the air.

I'm really excited about this round of testing for sure!

Interesting convo. I have stronger lofted irons and don't feel they're any harder to hit. It's more than just strengthening lofts, there is a lot that goes into the design of the heads themselves that assist with getting those stronger lofts up in the air.

I'm really excited about this round of testing for sure!

Agreed. The Razr X irons were my first set of stronger lofted irons and I did not feel that they were difficult to hit at all. Once you start playing I don't even think about the lofts. A 6 iron becomes a 6 iron and I hit it however far I need to.

I just checked out the specs on these, and one reason they are long is they have strengthened their lofts. I am sure that is not the only reason they are long, but a 26.5* 6 Iron is kind of silly.

Actually, giving the specs a closer look, it appears they have mostly increased the gaps between clubs. The PW is 45* (still a little strong, IMO), but they have 5* gaps all the way from 8I - LW. Then the gaps get a little smaller. This is interesting, and is pretty much the type of iron set that Dave Pelz has been advocating for over 15 years now. If you can get over the idea of an iron number being relegated to certain distance/ loft, it isn't too bad. The 5 iron on this set is definitely more like my current Mizuno 4 Iron. It is actually 1 degree STRONGER than my current 4 iron....

If I was buying a set, I would get 5-PW, keep my current setup of AW, SW, LW, add in a putter and driver, and still have 3 clubs to go. Could possibly add a super lob wedge (Pelz would say do that for sure), then still have room for a couple fairway woods or hybrids!

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/irons/Rocketballz-irons/product-detail-specifications

317.5°61°6.5mmS,R39.5"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
420°61.5°6.1mmS,R,M Graphite39.210"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
523°62°5.7mmS,R,M Graphite38.25"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
626.5°62.5°5.3mmS,R,M Graphite37.625"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
730.5°63°4.2mmS,R,M Graphite37"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
835°63.5°3.5mmS,R,M Graphite36.5"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
940°64°2.7mmS,R,M Graphite36"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
PW45°64.5°2.0mmS,R,M Graphite35.5"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
AW50°64.5°1.5mmS,R,M Graphite35.5"D3.5 D2.5-Graphite
SW55°64.5°1.3mmS,R,M Graphite35.25"D4 D3-Graphite
LW60°64.5°1.3mmS,R35"D4 D3-Graphite

With the amount of launch these newer game improvements irons have, companies have to strengthen the lofts or you risk ballooning the ball.

I agree some of it is definitely for marketing. However this is what I am experiencing with my irons.
My previous set(Callaway X22 Tour) 6i loft is 30 degrees. My current set(R11s) 7i loft is 32 degrees - I hit my current 7i at least 10 yards further than my previous 6i with a higher trajectory that lands softly and it is easier to hit. I can't complain about that.
Now about the trajectory, my current 6i is 28 degrees of loft and I hit it much higher than my previous 7i at 34 degrees. So I think it has a lot to do with the advances in iron design and there is no reason for me to complain or continue to compare to what it used to be.
As long as technology improves where the gaps between the woods / irons / wedges are maintained and increased proportionately, I am fine with whatever number iron I am hitting and will be happy to hit PW 150 yards.

I agree some of it is definitely for marketing. However this is what I am experiencing with my irons.
My previous set(Callaway X22 Tour) 6i loft is 30 degrees. My current set(R11s) 7i loft is 32 degrees - I hit my current 7i at least 10 yards further than my previous 6i with a higher trajectory that lands softly and it is easier to hit. I can't complain about that.
Now about the trajectory, my current 6i is 28 degrees of loft and I hit it much higher than my previous 7i at 34 degrees. So I think it has a lot to do with the advances in iron design and there is no reason for me to complain or continue to compare to what it used to be.
As long as technology improves where the gaps between the woods / irons / wedges are maintained and increased proportionately, I am fine with whatever number iron I am hitting and will be happy to hit PW 150 yards.

This is really well said.

Agreed. Number doesn't really matter to me either. The loft is the loft, doesn't matter at all. Now if I can hit the RBZ 32* 10 yards further than my current 32*, then that's something that will intrigue me. I can't wait until this testing starts.

With the amount of launch these newer game improvements irons have, companies have to strengthen the lofts or you risk ballooning the ball.

Very true as well! Well said.

Agreed. The Razr X irons were my first set of stronger lofted irons and I did not feel that they were difficult to hit at all. Once you start playing I don't even think about the lofts. A 6 iron becomes a 6 iron and I hit it however far I need to.

It's why golf is so mental. lol.

Agreed. Number doesn't really matter to me either. The loft is the loft, doesn't matter at all. Now if I can hit the RBZ 32* 10 yards further than my current 32*, then that's something that will intrigue me. I can't wait until this testing starts.

100% with you on this.

Is anybody else on the opposite side of the name thing like I am? I was planning on not going over 400 for an iron set but the Rocketballz name just calls out to me for some reason. I think because it sounds like a name for higher handicappers. If they had called them the new Tour R12 or something I wouldn't even have considered them, thinking they were out of my league like the R11's. Now I'm almost hoping that I won't like them when I try them just so I can save some money by buying some Burners or something on sale.

Golf Galaxy here said they were having a midnight opening for the RBZ launch. I've never been to a midnight opening for golf equipment before.

They did it with the R11 driver and it worked out well IIRC

Nice. Hopefully I'll have a set of RBZ irons I can go wave around at all the people as they wait for release, LOL. Just kidding, that would be mean.

Very interested to see what the public perception of these turns out to be (not really people here because we may tend to be a bit more informed). I've always really been fascinated by all things marketing and what turn's the customers head, these likely turned heads but with or without credibility?

I also can't wait to see and hear how these perform for us hackers on the course.

Is anybody else on the opposite side of the name thing like I am? I was planning on not going over 400 for an iron set but the Rocketballz name just calls out to me for some reason. I think because it sounds like a name for higher handicappers. If they had called them the new Tour R12 or something I wouldn't even have considered them, thinking they were out of my league like the R11's. Now I'm almost hoping that I won't like them when I try them just so I can save some money by buying some Burners or something on sale.

LOL, I think I'm still pretty iffy on the name... but I do really like the "RBZ". It's got it's gimicky side, but then it goes really well with the marketing they are pushing, so it works out well, but still seems like it may be geared towards the young crowd (no issues with that). TM is great with marketing, and they are a proven company, so this makes it truly more interesting.

LOL, I think I'm still pretty iffy on the name... but I do really like the "RBZ". It's got it's gimicky side, but then it goes really well with the marketing they are pushing, so it works out well, but still seems like it may be geared towards the young crowd (no issues with that). TM is great with marketing, and they are a proven company, so this makes it truly more interesting.

haha I guess I am one of the young crowd then because I love that name! :blob:

haha I guess I am one of the young crowd then because I love that name! :blob:

I'm with you! I can't wait to get these in my bag however I do it and pull the Rocketballz out and make that little white ball scream for mercy!

I'm with you! I can't wait to get these in my bag however I do it and pull the Rocketballz out and make that little white ball scream for mercy!

The more I hear "RocketBallz" the more accustomed I get to it. I won't lie, I was shocked when I first heard it, thought someone was playing a joke.

The more I hear "RocketBallz" the more accustomed I get to it. I won't lie, I was shocked when I first heard it, thought someone was playing a joke.

I think we all predicted that when we first heard the name. That no matter how different it was, TM would market it properly and it would be no big deal.

I think the mix of the name and how they have styled the clubs will appeal to the younger generation.
I've spoken to a lot of people at my club about these clubs and there are a lot of older people who don't want to know any more about them once you say the name rocketballz. I reckon it's a fantastic name now after originally not liking it.
How cool would it be to shout ROCKETBALLZ!! every time you hit a mid to long iron onto the green? I think that TM have had a bit of fun with the name. It's better than a bunch of numbers and letters and if you don't like the name then you can always revert to RBZ.
One thing I have been thinking of though is how much I like the carbon fibre styling on the back. That style has crept it's way into a lot of things (watches, cars, even clothing) and it's great to see modern style coming into golf equipment. I love the carbon fibre look. My TAG watch has similar styling on the face which I love. Do we know if the carbon fibre has any practical use being there or if it is just for looks?

I think we all predicted that when we first heard the name. That no matter how different it was, TM would market it properly and it would be no big deal.
That was what most said, a lot of people said that the initial "what the heck kind of name is that" factor would wear off after a week or so.

Back