Winter Simulator Play

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
How many guys/gals here play on a simulator in the winter?

The course I normally play in the summer sets one up for the winter at a cost of $15/half hr and $25/hr. I have not played or hit on a simulator except for the one at golf galaxy.

I'm going to go play next wednesday after a morning appointment. I'm hoping to get some numbers for the balls I was playing last year plus the Vision balls I picked toward the end of the year.

I did last year and signed up for a winter league this year.

There is a winter Sim league down here, no clue if people do it or not. The league I play in during the Spring/Summer/Fall have decided to make a Winter league out on the course this year, never understood why we didnt have a winter league.

Consider yourself lucky. We don't have anything like that around here

I go to a local simulator spot nearby, and is a very nice place. No, it's not the same but it does allow those who live up north the ability to hit some balls and work on the swing. One by me is quite a bit more expensive than the one you list so don't' get there all that often.

Played in a sim league the last 2 winters but no golf for me this winter. It's certainly not like golfing outside but it's good practice when there are no other options.

I play probably twice a week on the sims, I'm tight with the owner so I get on really cheap :) It works great for 8i- Driver but 9 iron on down and especially half swings are way off. First hole yesterday I was out 50 yards so I took my PW and went a little over half swing, and the ball went 96 yards. That's like a light full swing distance for me...

I go to a local simulator spot nearby, and is a very nice place. No, it's not the same but it does allow those who live up north the ability to hit some balls and work on the swing. One by me is quite a bit more expensive than the one you list so don't' get there all that often.

They definitely are more expensive than the ones that have been listed on THP in the past. The league price there isn't bad though.

Being a northerner there are many options but to get to the simulator in the winter. I use it more to keep the golf muscles loose, the numbers aren't always the most accurate.

I've gone a few times this year. It's not too bad but one time that I went I was hitting some really weird shots that were nothing like anything that I've hit before (started out straight and then just dived to the left :bulgy-eyes:) which just makes me question how accurate it measures spin especially sidespin.
Plus it added 20 yards to about every shot lol
It's fun if you have no other option but I prefer just going to the driving range of even just to the par 3 that's open even in the middle of winter as long as the snow melts (which it does quite frequently)

They definitely are more expensive than the ones that have been listed on THP in the past. The league price there isn't bad though.

Yea, the weekday price went up quite a bit this year, if I remember correctly was like $10-$15 less / hour last year.

They have a heated range by me but I really like the sims better cause they have a crappy mat on the heated range and all my distances just seems way off on the heated range.

Last month a new 'stand alone' golf simulator opened up in the city where I live. It's a company called 'Golfin the City' and they buy houses/appartements in the city and build a simulator in it. I became a member and I think it's a great concept. You enter the simulator with a digital card and then the doors open. I like the fact that you can practice in private. They have an ipod dock for your music, (soft)drinks and coffee machine, a printer to print you clubfitting results, ball fitting results and scorecards. The space is big enough for up to 4 players. They have a private parking space right infront of the door but if you come by bike that's no problem either. There are 3 basic sets available at no extra costs and there's also a wide selection of putters and wedges u can use.

I wasn't a bit fan of simulators before but that has changed big time. The feedback and detailed info you get on every shot you hit, man that really helps.
You pay about 280 dollars for half a year, you can play as much as you want. Which is a lot if you end up playing 1 hour a month ;) But so far i've spent 16 hours playing in the first 3 weeks it's open.

Last month a new 'stand alone' golf simulator opened up in the city where I live. It's a company called 'Golfin the City' and they buy houses/appartements in the city and build a simulator in it.

What a great idea, sim play is growing for sure. Its fun when its your only option.

Well I am glad there are a few others on here that use sims as well. It should be interesting anyway. I am not sure what type of sim they have but it has to be better than my practice net. I'll let everyone know how it goes wednesday.

I play in a "wine and nine" ladies league every other week--we play nine holes and they serve wine. It's very fun, but the pro told me the sim is set for recreation, and reads 10-15 yards longer than "real golf", which seems about right. (As much as I wish I'd improved that much in the fall with less practice, I kind of knew it wasn't so...sigh...) I also played in a 2 person scramble last week at a different type of sim. Also fun, but a different technology, and seemed more true to real golf. (I had no idea you could play a tournament--it got sold out. Looks like they try to run a tournament 2-4 times per month, and they say they almost always sell out.) One thing to be aware of, the pro there, and the guy I was playing with, said the computer was reflecting off the white drivers sometimes, or however it works, and not always picking them up. Guess it depends on the type of sim.

Jeroenmo, do you have to sign up for times at the simulator or is it first come first serve?

Jeroenmo, do you have to sign up for times at the simulator or is it first come first serve?
There is an online reservation system that allows you to make bookings for 2 or 3 hours. You can have 2 reservations 'open' at the time.

I play in a winter league every year.
The facility I use is pretty darn good.
I really enjoy the the canned cheers and applause when I sink a putt. :clapp:

I have never done this but am absolutely thinking about it as the current temp is 5* or lower.

I play on simulator at least 1 time a month. It is fun to play, but without any give in the turf, unless you pick the ball clean every time you will lose distance in your shots because it will just grab your club. Not always great for someone like me who is used to taking divots when I hit the ball. It is fun and gets the competitive juices flowing all winter.

There is an online reservation system that allows you to make bookings for 2 or 3 hours. You can have 2 reservations 'open' at the time.

Thanks for the reply, I wish we had something like this.

So I made it to the range after a drug out day and appointment. It was interesting and has me second guessing my swing or the accuracy of the machine. The machine had optical eyes on the hitting platform much like the opti shot. It seemed as almost every shot I hit my swing was outside in and face was open, even when it felt like I was definitely inside out and could see my follow through outside the line. This may be due to the way I was lined up on the machine. As I am a slight digger, I did have some issues hitting off the hard hitting surface ,but finally figured it out.

It was a neat experience but I think I like the ones that use the laser near the screen better. Unfortunately I didn't get info I was hoping for.:bad: I was hoping to get some numbers for Boz on the Vision balls but I got no ball spin numbers just ball speed and distance that I don't feel are correct.

Guess I need to find another simulator.:confused2:

New golf store in Fort Wayne opened up and they have a really nice system www.foresightsports.com it is being used by a lot of manufacturer's now I guess. It seems very close to what I see on the course. The only issue I have is with it hitting of the longer "grass" I feel like my short irons do not carry as long as they do on course. 52-9i seem to all group together when on the course they are clearly different distance and clubs. I do not get to really compress the ball, but all other clubs seem to be right on with carry distance and you get a lot of information on backspin/sidespin/ball speed etc it is great. I signed up for a month long range session (1hr at a time) for $50 it is a great deal! If it is slow they just let me go and keep pounding balls!

Back