Charl Schwartzel wants to cook the Champions Dinner

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
The Masters has a tradition on the Tuesday night of the tournament week called the Champions Dinner, where all of the prior champions of the Masters get together. The tradition is that the defending champion gets to pick the menu. This year, Charl Schwartzel doesn't just want to pick the menu, he wants to cook the food himself! Here's the excerpt from an article I read today.

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | In America, it’s called barbecue. In South Africa it’s braai, and for years now that country’s best golfers have been fiercely competitive about who among them does braai the best.

Not one to miss an opportunity, reigning Masters champion Charl Schwartzel has chosen the biggest culinary stage in golf to show his stuff.

His plan: Take the Battle of the Braai, and all that goes with this simmering showdown, to this year’s Masters.

In preparing for the traditional Tuesday night Champions Dinner, Schwartzel has decided to go one better than simply selecting the menu. He wants to prepare the food as well. And to that end he has respectfully requested that he be allowed to host a braai under the iconic old oak tree outside the Augusta National Golf Club clubhouse this April.

Full link here: http://www.globalgolfpost.com/opinion/schwartzel’s-masters-plan-braai-braai-birdie/

I think this is awesome, it makes me like the guy even more.

Okay, that is pretty freaking cool right there.

What would make it better would be if he would request some Milwaukee's Best for beer brats. Now that is grilling in style.

Wish I was invited to that dinner...

I hope he wears an apron or something to keep that chest hair secure.

Cool post Ary. Makes me want to fire up my big grill.

Love it!!

Very Cool. I hope this occurs.

That would be very cool if they allow him to do it.

I hope he wears an apron or something to keep that chest hair secure.

I'm LOL'ing at irony of TC posting about another man's chest hair.

I always thought the defending champion did this...you learn something new everyday

I think this ideas rocks! It would be nice if it started a trend.

That's awesome, he moves up a notch on my board of favorite golfers.

Very cool!

Very cool gesture, good to see him do something unique and that fit's his background.

This is awesome! I wonder if this could start a new trend with players trying out out cook the last guy. A lot of men are very proud of their grilling prowess. Like TC, I wonder if he will be wearing a chest net. Maybe he will shave before hand and donate it to Locks of Love.

All this talking about food is making me hungry!

This is pretty cool. I hope they let him do it.

That's pretty dag on cool. Very unique

I love this story. So cool how he wants to cook for his competitors.

It will look unusual having a South African pit barbecue in the backyard among their standard white tables, chairs and umbrella's. I hope he get's to cook his braai. Schwartzy is a player!

Back