Bridgestone J40 Pay It Forward Review Thread

J40 DPC Iron - Pay It Forward Testing/Review
1/16/2012 - Range Session
Short Iron Review

I went out with the mindset to spend some time on the range with the J40s, and to compare them to my set of V2s and 2.0s. My original plan was to hit about 15-20 balls with each 3,6,9 iron of each set and put together my thoughts. Didnt got as originially planned and I ended up staying a bit longer and really tried to put the J40s through their paces.

During a typical round of golf for me, the 8 and 9 irons of the clubs I am playing get quite a workout during a round. 150-130 yard shots in to the green are quite common for me, and depending on the set, that is where I play the 8 or 9. From my round yesterday, I found that the 9iron from the J40s is a club that I was seeing 130-140 yards out of, and was curious to see if that distance, coupled with the nice high ball flight I was seeing would hold true again for me today.

After a warm up, I began hitting easy shots with the J40 9iron. Not trying to get after it, just a nice smooth swing. In my experiences with forged irons, a nice, smooth swing gets me the best results. So...that’s where I started. I took aim at a flag that was measured to 150 yards out with a large green-like area surrounding it. My shots were consistently landing on the front edge or just short of it. The high ball flight offered a nice trajectory downward in to the green, and from what I saw on the course yesterday as well as my shots this afternoon, would have me holding the greens. The J40s seemed to get the ball up in the air quicker than what I saw with the V2s and 2.0s, with a much different trajectory. The V2s had a lower flight in general, and the 2.0s started lower, rose to a nice height then descended down (obviously giving more distance). For a shot in to the green, the ball flight of the J40s was a beauty, that wouldnt have me worried of running off the back of the green.

Consistency: One thing that I have struggled with in the past with forged irons is finding consistency with them. I am not saying the J40s cured that, because my misses were still there. I found myself with a few fat shots and a few thinned as well, but found as I did yesterday, that even with a miss, the results werent very penalizing. My shots that were fat, still got in to the air quickly, just suffered a bit of distance loss. With my thinned shots, the miss was primarily a lower line drive type of ball flight. Obviously, I would love to not have those misses, but the forgiveness of the J40s allowed a miss to still have decent enough results to move on to the next shot.

From the Rough; Have to face the facts on this one, I usually have more shots from the rough during a round than I like. So when looking in to irons, one thing that always creeps in to my mind is how does it preform from the thicker grass. Down here in Florida, we have some rough that is just downright brutal. I found a thick part of the range and threw down some balls to see how it worked out. The leading edge on the J40s just looks like it will cut through whatever lie you are going to hit out of, a similar edge as the V2s, and one I expected to have good results with. The J40s didnt dissapoint from the rough, as I was able to get the ball out of the thicker grass with good results. My only issue here with them is that at times I was getting a bit deep and hitting the ground first rather than focusing hitting the ball first, then the turf. I generally take some good sized divots, and the J40s reminded me a lot of the V2s in that I was throwing out some chunks of earth when hitting from the rough. (Note to whoever gets them next; I gave them a good bath after I walked off the range :D )

Overall Thoughts: From the first time I held the J40 9iron, I felt that I would get along great with it. I hit a lot of shots with my short irons during my rounds, and like most people, am very comfortable with them. When going to my first set of forged irons in the V2s, I immediately found a nice comfort zone with the shorter irons even though the thin top line and smaller profile seemed intimidating. I was glad to see that comfort level carried over the J40s. I feel that too often, people will look at a forged iron and think “I dont have the game to hit those”, but the Dual Pocket Cavity on the J40 irons offers a great feel, and some added forgiveness that I think a lot of people will like.

Wow another amazing review WE. Absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to hear your reviews of the mid and long irons! These irons sound great, and even though I can't game them, you have me salivating at the thought of these!

Wow another amazing review WE. Absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to hear your reviews of the mid and long irons! These irons sound great, and even though I can't game them, you have me salivating at the thought of these!
Appreciate that Damaikis. Hate that you cant hit these, its been fun swinging these the past few days, unfortunately, I know that I will soon have to part with them.

Appreciate that Damaikis. Hate that you cant hit these, its been fun swinging these the past few days, unfortunately, I know that I will soon have to part with them.

I can only imagine. I lust for the day to come when I can swing some Bridgestone clubs! Great job so far!

Nice review WE. Have you played regular PX shafts instead of the flighted? If so, did you notice that much of a difference in trajectory?

Nice review WE. Have you played regular PX shafts instead of the flighted? If so, did you notice that much of a difference in trajectory?
No, unfortunately I have not. I have been trying to read up as much as I can on the differences between flighted and the regular.

Nice writeup WE, looking forward to seeing your opinion on the rest of the irons.

Nice write ups WE! Just now catching up! Looks like the Morgan Cup players will be in good hands.

Another very nice write-up War Eagle! I gotta admit that I did not expect to see such a difference in ball flight with the flighted shafts but I like that I am hearing. Like you, I enjoy playing that nice high shot into the green to ensure that you are not running off the back, etc. Even though I have been able to create enough spin on my current set for it to be a non-issue, there are times when you are carrying a bunker, etc to a short sided flag and just want that extra bit of height on the shot.

I can't wait to get those short irons in hand and "go after" the shot as you mentioned. My typical result when going after something is a pull left but I like to hear that you are seeing good results with these irons.

Great job thus far man - you have helped more than you know!

Another very nice write-up War Eagle! I gotta admit that I did not expect to see such a difference in ball flight with the flighted shafts but I like that I am hearing. Like you, I enjoy playing that nice high shot into the green to ensure that you are not running off the back, etc. Even though I have been able to create enough spin on my current set for it to be a non-issue, there are times when you are carrying a bunker, etc to a short sided flag and just want that extra bit of height on the shot.

I can't wait to get those short irons in hand and "go after" the shot as you mentioned. My typical result when going after something is a pull left but I like to hear that you are seeing good results with these irons.

Great job thus far man - you have helped more than you know!
That is my usual miss as well Cookie, a significant pull left. During my round on Sunday, my miss was slightly left, but not a drastic pull like I have seen in the past.

So far, the J40's have been fantastically represented. Good job guys. I think a lot of people, for whatever reasons, think that the PX steel shafts are lower/mid launching and that's just not the case. War, sorry if I may have skimmed a little bit but are these much more noticeably more forgiving than your W/S irons?

So far, the J40's have been fantastically represented. Good job guys. I think a lot of people, for whatever reasons, think that the PX steel shafts are lower/mid launching and that's just not the case. War, sorry if I may have skimmed a little bit but are these much more noticeably more forgiving than your W/S irons?

TC, you are right. I thought that especially the short irons were going to be more low-mid launch than what War Eagle is seeing. I thought that based on the shaft description from the website but I have even myself seen a higher launch with the 6 iron flighted shaft than I expected but I really liked what I saw.

For easy reference for anyone following, here is a description of the stock shaft:

Project X Flighted
In addition to the playing characteristics that have made the Project X shaft a tour favorite, the Project X Flighted features an exaggerated change in kick point within each shaft throughout the set to optimize ball flight through the bag. Long irons provide a lower kick point for higher ball flight, easier launch and greater distance, while the short irons have a higher kick point for a lower trajectory, greater accuracy and control.

Ive only had them in play for one round (Sunday) and a range session (yesterday), but from what I have seen out of the J40s so far is that they have a good bit more forgiveness than the W/S that I have.

That's good to hear. Are they making you tempted to possibly pursue a set?

That's good to hear. Are they making you tempted to possibly pursue a set?
There's always the need to ponder, right? I think I would be happy to game these on a consistent basis. I know that hitting these the past few days have made me even more jealous of the Morgan Cup Bridgestone Staffers.

1/16/2012 - Range Session
Short Iron Review

I went out with the mindset to spend some time on the range with the J40s, and to compare them to my set of V2s and 2.0s. My original plan was to hit about 15-20 balls with each 3,6,9 iron of each set and put together my thoughts. Didnt got as originially planned and I ended up staying a bit longer and really tried to put the J40s through their paces.

During a typical round of golf for me, the 8 and 9 irons of the clubs I am playing get quite a workout during a round. 150-130 yard shots in to the green are quite common for me, and depending on the set, that is where I play the 8 or 9. From my round yesterday, I found that the 9iron from the J40s is a club that I was seeing 130-140 yards out of, and was curious to see if that distance, coupled with the nice high ball flight I was seeing would hold true again for me today.

After a warm up, I began hitting easy shots with the J40 9iron. Not trying to get after it, just a nice smooth swing. In my experiences with forged irons, a nice, smooth swing gets me the best results. So...that’s where I started. I took aim at a flag that was measured to 150 yards out with a large green-like area surrounding it. My shots were consistently landing on the front edge or just short of it. The high ball flight offered a nice trajectory downward in to the green, and from what I saw on the course yesterday as well as my shots this afternoon, would have me holding the greens. The J40s seemed to get the ball up in the air quicker than what I saw with the V2s and 2.0s, with a much different trajectory. The V2s had a lower flight in general, and the 2.0s started lower, rose to a nice height then descended down (obviously giving more distance). For a shot in to the green, the ball flight of the J40s was a beauty, that wouldnt have me worried of running off the back of the green.

Consistency: One thing that I have struggled with in the past with forged irons is finding consistency with them. I am not saying the J40s cured that, because my misses were still there. I found myself with a few fat shots and a few thinned as well, but found as I did yesterday, that even with a miss, the results werent very penalizing. My shots that were fat, still got in to the air quickly, just suffered a bit of distance loss. With my thinned shots, the miss was primarily a lower line drive type of ball flight. Obviously, I would love to not have those misses, but the forgiveness of the J40s allowed a miss to still have decent enough results to move on to the next shot.

From the Rough; Have to face the facts on this one, I usually have more shots from the rough during a round than I like. So when looking in to irons, one thing that always creeps in to my mind is how does it preform from the thicker grass. Down here in Florida, we have some rough that is just downright brutal. I found a thick part of the range and threw down some balls to see how it worked out. The leading edge on the J40s just looks like it will cut through whatever lie you are going to hit out of, a similar edge as the V2s, and one I expected to have good results with. The J40s didnt dissapoint from the rough, as I was able to get the ball out of the thicker grass with good results. My only issue here with them is that at times I was getting a bit deep and hitting the ground first rather than focusing hitting the ball first, then the turf. I generally take some good sized divots, and the J40s reminded me a lot of the V2s in that I was throwing out some chunks of earth when hitting from the rough. (Note to whoever gets them next; I gave them a good bath after I walked off the range :D )

Overall Thoughts: From the first time I held the J40 9iron, I felt that I would get along great with it. I hit a lot of shots with my short irons during my rounds, and like most people, am very comfortable with them. When going to my first set of forged irons in the V2s, I immediately found a nice comfort zone with the shorter irons even though the thin top line and smaller profile seemed intimidating. I was glad to see that comfort level carried over the J40s. I feel that too often, people will look at a forged iron and think “I dont have the game to hit those”, but the Dual Pocket Cavity on the J40 irons offers a great feel, and some added forgiveness that I think a lot of people will like.

W.E. dude that is a very solid write up. These look nice, I look forward to hitting them.

War Eagle, Excellent writeup buddy. I have been so excited to try the J40 line knowing I will be gaming them. I really do like the 38 line but kknow that Bridgestone can do a lot more in 2 years. As if I wasnt intrigued enough, you added something extra to it.

that's quite the write up there WE! I can't wait to get these in the bag

Bingo, though they do launch lower than S300's for me its more of a load and feel thing.

Pretty sure the C-Taper's are going to go directly into these, when you've got a shaft that fits your swing and that you love...why screw with it?

Approximately 4-10 days left until mine arrive....cannot wait.

Mid Iron Review

During my round on Sunday, I got to know the J40 6iron quite well. It was the first of the three irons that I actually took a swing with, and that first swing was something I dont think I can easily forget. Second shot on a Par 4, 171 yards to the pin, and I left it about 2 feet short for a tap in birdie, it was quite the memorable shot for me.

For the past few months, one aspect of my game that I have been working on is hitting shots that I am comfortable with to give myself the best scoring opportunity possible, and with that, my mid-irons are clubs that I have to rely on. During my round with the J40s, I used the 6iron for three different types of shot, and came away impressed with the results I saw out of all three. I find the J40’s to be quite versatile, and for me that was evident by the different shots I had with the J40 6iron.

From the tee;
Had a longer Par 3, 187 yards with a slight wind behind me, going slightly right/left. This was toward the end of my round, and I was feeling quite confident with the J40 irons. I decided to use the 6iron from the tee, and to swing a bit harder to try to add a little more distance on to it. During the round, I had been seeing a consistent distance of around 165-170 yards from the 6iron, and knew this flag was a bit further than I could reach with the 6iron, but decided to give my swing a bit more and see how the J40 would respond. I did not hit my shot perfect, and ended up pushing it slightly to the left of the green in to the bunker, and measured it to just past 170 yards. I was just slightly off line with the flag (narrow green), but really liked the feel of the J40 when I gave a little more power in my swing, as well as liked the fact that an over-swing doesnt result in a penalizing miss.

From the Fairway;
Often on a Par 5, I will grab a mid iron for my second shot and lay up to try and give myself a comfortable shot from 100 yards. Sunday, on #18, a very long dogleg right, I was sitting 259 from the green. I pulled the 6iron and decided to cut the corner of the dogleg and give myself an easy 60* wedge shot in to the green (hopefully). I took a nice smooth swing with the 6, and pulled of a great shot. Had a nice high ball flight, cleared the trees I was going over, and caught the edge of the downslope and gave me a nice rollout. I exectued the shot just as I wanted, leaving myself an easy wedge to the green. Nothing fancy about this shot at all, just a solid, smooth swing with the J40, and it seemed that it didnt move an inch left or right, dead straight. The ball got in the air QUICK, and gave me a flight down that provided me with some good rollout for some added distance. It was the perfect play for me on this hole.

From the rough;
My tee shot had left me under some trees amidst the pine straw. This was my second shot on a Par 5, and there were two options. Chip to the fairway and give myself a LONG 3rd shot, or aim slightly left of the trees in front of me and hit a punch shot under the tree limbs with a cut to keep the ball moving down the fairway. This is a shot that I can usually pull off, so I was comfortable trying it. Again with the 6iron, moved my hands slightly forward of the ball, closed the clubface a bit, and had a nice forceful swing. The J40 did exactly what I wanted it to do, and my shot ended up running right down the middle of the fairway, leaving myself with a bit of work to do, but much better than just chipping out from the trees.

Overall, the J40 mid irons performed for me quite well, and from the start through the end of the round I played with them, I was able to pull off some great shots. Further, during my range sessions with the mid iron, the performance I saw Sunday continued to show up. On the range I have worked on similar shots as I had during my round to see if the results would hold true, and from what I have seen, so far they have. The J40s have performed well for me on routine shots, what has blown me away about them is their versatility. Whether it’s hitting from the fairway, the tee box, the rough or even a bed of pine straw, I have been able to hit the shots that I want. Even with a slight miss, the J40s pack forgiveness that allows me to stay in the hole and prevent the dreaded “big number.”

More good stuff WE. You are doing a terrific job with this review.

With the bolded part above, I think that comes from most people's experiences with Project X have been in the original Project X shafts, not the Project X Flighted shafts that these clubs have. Yoccos posted a link to the Project X flex chart and the Project X Flighted flexes are different from the regular Project X flexes. Example: 6.0 Project X Flighted = 5.5 Project X. It seems like the Project X Flighted could play a little softer overall, and thus more user-friendly for a larger segment of the population.

More good stuff WE. You are doing a terrific job with this review.
Thanks Howzat, appreciate it. Putting these head to head with the V2s has been quite fun. The extra forgiveness and the "softer" feel at impact is giving the J40s quite the nod of approval.

With the bolded part above, I think that comes from most people's experiences with Project X have been in the original Project X shafts, not the Project X Flighted shafts that these clubs have. Yoccos posted a link to the Project X flex chart and the Project X Flighted flexes are different from the regular Project X flexes. Example: 6.0 Project X Flighted = 5.5 Project X. It seems like the Project X Flighted could play a little softer overall, and thus more user-friendly for a larger segment of the population.
Thanks for that Ary, makes sense to me. I have been quite impressed with these shafts in the J40s, and as I have posted previously, I need to learn more about shafts in general. But having never gamed a set of irons with a flighted shaft before and not knowing what to fully expect, I have been quite impressed with what I have seen.

Another solid write up War Eagle. After a nice range session yesterday with the 6 iron I am so eager to get those 7-PW in hand. Coming from a set like the V2's or Pro Combo's, I think these offer the perfect mix of forgiveness and sleekness in an iron.

Back