Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

It all started with the swing and then tweaking equipment to get the right fit for me. It has changed everything for me off the tee.

you hit the ball much better off the tee in December than you did in August. Not that you hit it bad in August.

I honestly cant remember. If I did, the numbers would be in the thread.

It all started with the swing and then tweaking equipment to get the right fit for me. It has changed everything for me off the tee.

You need to be careful you're approaching internet golfer skills with that kind of distance haha maybe even long knocker realm

Just ordered mine for Discount Dan's with a Matrix Radix shaft, can't wait to get it.

you hit the ball much better off the tee in December than you did in August. Not that you hit it bad in August.

Thank you. I dont make a lot of excuses about golf, because you win some and lose some. But I was not "in it" in August. My nerves were through the roof due to the MC having to go off without a hitch, because lets face it, nothing like this had ever been done before. My wife is an amazing lady and took it all in stride, but leaving her to do all the heavy lifting with the amazing volunteers we had, is not something I cared to do. After that performance I have gone back to my roots and changed a lot about my life. Golf being one of those things.

This driver adds to that change as the proper fitting and equipment changes I make are always for the good of my scores and only my scores. I have never cared what brand was on it, what type of club it was or anything else. I loved the looks of this one and the idea behind this one early on, so it was natural for me to want to love the performance. Fortunately for me, the performance was even better than I expected and I now have a new driver.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Just ordered mine for Discount Dan's with a Matrix Radix shaft, can't wait to get it.

Oh snap! Solid purchase with a solid shaft!

Wow. Those numbers are very good, add in the fact that it was a 40 shot average and they're even more impressive. Thank you for sharing.

--
tapatalk

Man that could be a very awesome combo, I love that shaft.

Dont forget guys that Blind9 can take orders on this or anything else really and for THPers, they get an unbelievable price.

Dont forget guys that Blind9 can take orders on this or anything else really and for THPers, they get an unbelievable price.
Great call JB, I'm thinking it'll be a nice Bday gift to myself. I'm really curious though how it will compare to my current R9.

Really hoping I can go somewhere this spring and demo the Cleveland offerings along with the Taylormade offerings. I like my Srixon as far as dispersion goes, but I know it doesn't fit me perfectly. Extremely too much spin.

So I went out today with the Classic Driver with my Kusala White shaft in it and put it on the launch monitor with one of our LPGA friends that has been helping me a little bit. My numbers on the launch monitor were really good for my swing.

These are the averages after 40 golf balls.

Swing Speed - 106
Ball Speed - 152
Launch - 11.1
Spin - 2780
Carry Distance - 258
Overall Distance - 271

Will be going out this weekend with the standard C. Kua shaft and see what the differences are, as I would like to get my launch a tad bit higher, but not much. Overall, I was pretty happy with it.

*These were with range balls.

Time to ponder this driver officially, thanks JB.

Great #'s JB. Definitely going to have to demo this driver.

JB what do you think the distance difference is in hitting range balls compared to your ball you game?

JB what do you think the distance difference is in hitting range balls compared to your ball you game?

Im not sure really. All I can do is base it off the monitor info I have. I am going to try in the next few weeks to get it out on the monitor on the course so I can use my own balls.

JB, you may have already posted this data, but are you hitting the 10.5 degree loft in this driver? If so, do you feel like this head is lower-launching than some other driver heads out there? Obviously, I'd love to have the distance numbers that you have right now, but I think that getting the launch into the 12-13 degree range with similar spin would be able to give you a little more distance. I'm just wondering whether the head or the shaft is more of the cause of the slightly lower launch.

Saw on Twitter that GMac is playing a 56g shaft in his driver (he didn't specify the model of either the driver or the shaft), but he hints around a lot about the Classic.

JB, you may have already posted this data, but are you hitting the 10.5 degree loft in this driver? If so, do you feel like this head is lower-launching than some other driver heads out there? Obviously, I'd love to have the distance numbers that you have right now, but I think that getting the launch into the 12-13 degree range with similar spin would be able to give you a little more distance. I'm just wondering whether the head or the shaft is more of the cause of the slightly lower launch.

Yes, I am using 10.5 and I agree that I want to get the launch up a tiny bit more. I think more distance can be achieved in doing so.

There is no way a high handicapper should talk himself into this driver right? No way? Someone talk me into it.

There is no way a high handicapper should talk himself into this driver right? No way? Someone talk me into it.

I've just about done it, ripper....

I would expect it would play very similar to your current driver with some more forgivness if your miss is high or low on the face.

I would expect it would play very similar to your current driver with some more forgivness if your miss is high or low on the face.

Really? That is what I wanted to hear. I had the idea for some reason the black would be closer to mine and this one would have less forgiveness. This is good news.

Ripper,
I would say its less a handicap range than a fitting range. With the face being so large and it certainly showing us quite a bit of forgiveness, I think it could be very good for a lot of players. However it is lower spin, so it would have to fit you appropriately.

JB,

Do you agree it plays fairly similar to the SL 290 as at least in the 290 version of the Classic it would be the same shaft and overall weight? Or am I missing something?

JB,

Do you agree it plays fairly similar to the SL 290 as at least in the 290 version of the Classic it would be the same shaft and overall weight? Or am I missing something?

Yeah, I think balance wise, its quite similar. I found the performance of the Classic much better though and I liked the 290 quite a bit.

Back