Boccieri Heavy Q2-M Putter Review

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
This past week I picked up a new Boccieri Heavy Q2-M putter. I know these putter are not new to the market, but I wanted to share my thoughts none the less.

For about as long as I can remember, I have been gaming one or two different old Ping manganese bronze Anser putters. Both of my gamers weigh in the 315/320 gram range. Back when I started playing this head weight was the standard and I have been slow to embrace anything heavier. I have never been a great putter but distance control was always one thing I have been good at and without some measure of distance control, you have little chance of making most putts or at least, leaving yourself a short second putt.

As I have been studying the physics & innovation of the backweighting of clubs designed and built by Boccieri Golf as well as being involved in the testing/review of the Heavy Driver, I thought I would embrace the heavier weight putters that seem to dominate the current putter market today.

Given my ability to be a good lag putter with my current lighter weight putters, I was really scared to try anything new, but with the backweighting of the Boccieri line, I thought now would be a great time to give one a try. If not for the backweighting, I doubt I would have picked one up.

The Anser plumbers neck style is my putter style of choice and because of some reservations about going heavier, I decided to just really test the waters a little by going with the mid weight Q2-M Heavy Putter. Here is spec page of the putter; http://www.boccierigolf.com/heavy-putter/mid-weight/q2-m/

When I first picked up the putter, my first thought was WOW! How in the world will I ever control this putter. It feels very heavy in my hands, much more than anything I have ever owned. The headweight is 400 grams with a 200 gram butt shaft weight with the balance point much higher than my current old Ping.

One of my biggest breakdowns in my putting is to get too "wristy" at times which hurts not only distance control but accuracy. I have experimented this year with both a 43 inch belly putter and the large oversize putter grips. Both keep the wrists from breaking, but with the belly putter, distance control on long putts is a issue for me, and with the large jumbo grips, they just look odd and I never felt good about using either.

I took the Q2-M Heavy Putter to the practice green this past week and right off the bat, I was very surprised how the putter felt during the stroke. With the high 750 gram (+or-) total weight, it is very easy to make a super smooth stroke in which you feel as though you are in total control of. With my old Pings, which have floating faces, there is a pretty good click at contact, while with the Heavy is more of a muted click which I liked right away. The sound makes the putter feel soft in my hands.

I was also surprised how quickly I was able to get a feel for the putter as far as distance control goes. I honestly do not feel like I am hitting the putts any easier but the weight and smooth feel make the putter very stable and easy to judge distance. It takes less effort to lag a long putt with this putter than with my old lighter weight putters.

For the first time in years, I also now have a alignment line and although I never thought I needed one, I have found it to be a nice addition none the less. The heavier head weight's greatest asset may be that it really takes the wrists out of the putt, which as noted is a issue for me at times more than anything. This putter may be the true cure. Not sure why, but it just works.

Only time will tell if this putter is the perfect putter, but so far I am very impressed. I'm not sure how durable the finish will be, but it is a nice none glare flat black. I'm not a huge fan of the headcover simply because it has velcro inside. Velcro and some of the black oxide finished putters I have owned in the past did not go well together. Velcro can be a bit like sandpaper and will wear a finish itself over time if your not careful. I simply removed the velcro from in inside the headcover, and we were good to go.

I'll update this thread in coming weeks as I continue to use the putter, but for right now it is in the bag.

Nice post I will be looking forward to hearing more about this putter

Tap tap taparoo

Great stuff! As I said in the Heavy Driver thread, I'll be getting a Heavy Putter in the next few weeks. I immediately eyed the Q2-H and the L3-H as putters that might truly interest me. It'll be great to hear how this is working out for you.

I was able to get a little more time in this afternoon on the practice green as well as playing 18. This putter is working pretty well right now. The distance control with it is what really surprises me. With the switch to something this much heavier than my other putters, I always figured it would be hard to switch, but for whatever reason, it has been a pretty easy transition.

It does feel heavy in my hands, but it is super easy to make a nice controlled smooth swing with. My wrist breaking issue seems to be gone as well with the heavier head. The ball just comes off the face nice and easy and it does not appear to "jump" off but simply roll off.

I'm still pleasantly surprised.

This is fun to follow HG. I have a few of their putters, and enjoy them quite a bit.

This is fun to follow HG. I have a few of their putters, and enjoy them quite a bit.

Thank you JB. You and being here has opened my eyes a little about not being so tied to one brand. There are more different brands in my bag right now, than there has been in years.

The Heavy Driver testing has me very interested in the Boccieri brand. I'm loving this putter right now. Played 18 this evening, and the results were great. Lag this is easier than I would have ever thought. It just makes for such a smooth roll, and I never expected that.

Its funny you mention that HG. I decided after reading your review, to roll a few with the mid-weight series that I have and really really liked it.

Thanks for putting the bug in my ear to get one out there.

Thank you JB. You and being here has opened my eyes a little about not being so tied to one brand. There are more different brands in my bag right now, than there has been in years.

The Heavy Driver testing has me very interested in the Boccieri brand. I'm loving this putter right now. Played 18 this evening, and the results were great. Lag this is easier than I would have ever thought. It just makes for such a smooth roll, and I never expected that.

I know what you mean, I rolled my Red X2 for 7 years, now I have 2 more putters and have not used the SC in about 3 months. Funny how this site will change your outlook on things. I love this site.

I continue to love this putter. I have putted my best recently in the past couple of years with this putter in the bag. The ball just clicks off the face and distance control continues to be great. I was very sceptical with this putter given the heavy weight and our super fast greens, but it just works. I think the Boccieri putter line could be the most over looked putter brand out there right now. Great putter.

Its no secret that all of the testers have started to become boccieri fanboys, myself included. Great products, great results.

Way to go HG

Love to hear it! I've been struggling a bit with the putter lately. However, I have a Boccieri J2-M, 35", black finish putter on the way courtesy of this incredible company. They're spoiling me to no end. I was really intrigued by the J2-M - it just felt great when I tested it out and I knew it was designed to be similar to the Ping B60. I'm really excited to see what the Boccieri can do for me on the greens.

I'm still loving this putter. I have had the best season in many years on the greens. Between working with my teacher and switching to this putter, things have been really good. And this is coming from someone who thought any putter heavier than 320 grams was no good. Go figure. Great putter.

I just talked with Mr. Boccieri the other day about his putters. I'm glad to see you rolling it well and will be trying one out myself here pretty soon. Putting is really holding my scores back right now.

How did I completely overlook this last month?

Thanks for the writeup; I enjoyed reading it and definitely want to roll one of these in the next few weeks and see what they feel like. I do like the idea of more weight contributing to a smoother stroke overall.

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

How did I completely overlook this last month?

Thanks for the writeup; I enjoyed reading it and definitely want to roll one of these in the next few weeks and see what they feel like. I do like the idea of more weight contributing to a smoother stroke overall.

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

It has really surprised me how smooth the ball comes off the face. I'm so use to the weight now, when I pick up any other putter, they just don't feel right. I thought something this heavy would just blast everything past the hole, but that has not been the case at all. I adjusted very quickly to this putter and my distance control right now is the best it has been in years.

I just tried the B1 and I was amazed. The roll and feel of the face is amazing and the first thing I did was come here looking for a review. I'm glad I found this but surprised it hasn't been tested. Amazing and thinking about buying it especially for the price.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Just bought one Sunday, Took it to the putting green yesterday, got to say first off, the extra weight seems to have smoothed out my swing. Distance control, for me at least, is usually off when I try a new flatstick, by a lot. Didn't seem like that much of an issue with the Bocceri, within 25-30 putts was putting the ball consistently within a 3 ft. circle.
Going to try to play nine after work and see how it does under "Real" conditions

Just bought one Sunday, Took it to the putting green yesterday, got to say first off, the extra weight seems to have smoothed out my swing. Distance control, for me at least, is usually off when I try a new flatstick, by a lot. Didn't seem like that much of an issue with the Bocceri, within 25-30 putts was putting the ball consistently within a 3 ft. circle.
Going to try to play nine after work and see how it does under "Real" conditions

Sounds good Ron. I was very surprised when I tried this putter the first time. For thirty years I had no interest in anything this heavy, but I'm now a believer.

Hope it works well for you!

I've been using the L3 for 2 years off & on, had it @ the 1st outting & putted real well with it. Yesterday I picked up a new H1, Also I have Super Stoke Slims on both.
Going to use the new H1 on Hawk next weekend in Ia. LOL

Been playing this for about 2 weeks now and I am still very very impressed with this putter. Control is so much better with it for me, I am very rarely missing by more than 2 ft. now and haven't 3 putted in my last 3 rounds.
This putter is the real deal

Been playing this for about 2 weeks now and I am still very very impressed with this putter. Control is so much better with it for me, I am very rarely missing by more than 2 ft. now and haven't 3 putted in my last 3 rounds.
This putter is the real deal

Awesome - glad you found something that is working so well!

I gotta admit - I am not surprised at all. I rolled the H1-M (think that's right) and felt very confident with the weight of the head. Just a very smooth roll and lag putting was excellent on a big green inside PGA SS.

Just a little update from me.........As summer turned into fall here in Indiana, our greens at my home course turned lightening fast for the last four weeks or so. They are always pretty quick, but they have been like putting on concrete speed wise, so I had to rest my Heavy for a little while.

This was the first time the extra speed started giving me some fits with distance control. The Heavy was just heavy enough to lead me to run many putts past. For now, I have went back to my 35 year old mag. bronze Dalehead Ping Anser. Much lighter head and it has helped me get more putts around the hole.

My putting is greatly improved this season with the help of my longtime teacher and the Heavy Putter. There is no doubt that I will bring it back, but right now I needed something lighter in the bag.

Interesting read, HG. After seeing Bulldog use his Heavy putter over the weekend I have to say I'm pretty interested to try one of these out again.

works even better one-handed uh Hawk ?. lol

Well, been using my C2-M for 3 months now and I am still in love with it. If I have 3 putted more that a dozen times since I started using it I'd be amazed.
Greens are frozen hard for the most part making them very fast. I had been thinking this was where I would be putting the heavy putter away for the season, but the distance control is still spot on. Still consistently placing the ball within 3 ft. of the cup from 25 ft and in, and rarely miss with it from inside 6ft.
I am seriously thinking about checking out the irons as the putter is just so damn good.

Back