The lower back pain thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suffered from low back pain since my mid teens. (mid 40's now) I was lifting the end gate on my dads 16' trailer (he does structural steel for a living, and made sure it was good and solid). It was designed to fold into the trailer when up and act as a ramp when down. As I transitioned from hands under lifting to pushing I slipped in the wet grass.
I heard and felt the pop as I did irreparable damage to the cartilage in my left SI joint.
What followed was misery and pain.
I tried:
-pills - that alter your liver function.
-massage - that did some good
-exercise - that made things worse than ever.
-SI support belt - that helped for a while.
- and more.
There was some temporary relief to be had but...the pain always came back sooner or later, and made playing a round of golf all but impossible.

I ended up following an ad to a chiropractors office. I figured what the heck nothing else helped. After x-rays and imaging and consultation I started Spinal Decompression Therapy. They use a bed that has sliding sections a belt that goes around your chest, a belt that goes around your waist that attaches to a computer controlled winch. Depending on the program it stretches or stretches and releases at preset poundages and stretches you along with it.
Apparently it does two things at the same time. It allows everything to realign itself and it allows the lubricating juice to work back into the disks and stuff.
For me it was magic. Last spring I picked up a golf club for about the first time in about 8 years. Followed by playing the first pain free rounds of golf since high school.

I can't say it will work for everyone but it sure as heck worked for me.

Last edited:
Tylenol works much better to make the pain go away than Aleve and Ibuprofen for me. All that's missing is the 5 mg of the good stuff, but the Tylenol does a good job.

If the pain shoots down your lrg more than likely you have sciatica. It's usually caused by disc material pressing against the sciatic nerve bundle.
I've been comtemplating surgery to have mine repaired

My pain was radiating down my legs from the lower back to the point I could barely stand up straight, let alone play golf on some days. I was taking Tramadol and Mobic along with any other over the counter drugs I thought might help. On top of being 45 and the pressure golf puts on my back, my job requires me to ride 500 to 700 miles a week.

My wife ordered me this and it works wonders for stretching your back out and getting the pressure off.

http://www.spinedok.com/

My diabetes doctor recommended this and I started taking it a couple of months ago and I haven't been on the above thing since (even though it would probably help)

http://www.newchapter.com/zyflamend/zyflamend

I've had low back pain for as long as I can remember. Last year, it got so bad I had to stop playing golf. Off to the orthopedist I went. After consulting with the third one, an orthopedic surgeon, I gave up on that route. The surgeon said that there were so many problems with my spine he wouldn't know where to operate. All he wanted to do was give me pain meds and hope for the best. I finally found a good chiropractor and went through the spinal decompression treatment mentioned by Tedfroop above and it worked wonders. I still have low back pain, but it isn't chronic, just annoying. After the treatment, he recommended I get a Teeter Hangup (he uses one himself) and I got me one. Now, when it gets bad, I just do a few sessions on it and it helps. I also find that if I do five minutes on the Teeter before I go to the course and five minutes again when I get home, it keeps me pretty ship-shape.

This, a balance board, yoga, and 200mg of Celebrex a day has helped me with my disc issues quite a bit

Spasms don't necessarily mean it's muscular-it could be nerves. I had a spinal fusion from a blown disc in May and 2 nerve bundles were impinged and they were and have been causing serious spasms while the nerves regenerate after surgery. I just got the all clear to golf again on Wednesday, but for the last few months I've been exercising with strength bands and a physio ball. The exercise has done wonders and my core and back is extremely strong and stable right now. Titleist Fitness Institute has some good online videos for stretching and some core workouts with the physio ball if anyone needs to know where to start.

I found that practice putting is the worst on my back, but everything else has felt pretty good so far this year. But the cold weather just tightens everything up!

That is likely a strength issue then.

Tylenol works much better to make the pain go away than Aleve and Ibuprofen for me. All that's missing is the 5 mg of the good stuff, but the Tylenol does a good job.

not sure what the "5 mg of the good stuff" is, but since my car accident in oct 2010, I have been in terrible amounts of pain, every day (some days are not all that bad). I have 500mg naproxen, which is really just a huge Aleve with none of the other stuff, and it does nothing for me. I also have 10mg Flexoril (muscle relaxer) and am allowed to take it 3 times a day, it really does not help much, so I avoid taking it, unless the pain is terrible (like today). I have tried Tylenol, and that also had little effect.

My pain was radiating down my legs from the lower back to the point I could barely stand up straight, let alone play golf on some days. I was taking Tramadol and Mobic along with any other over the counter drugs I thought might help. On top of being 45 and the pressure golf puts on my back, my job requires me to ride 500 to 700 miles a week.

My wife ordered me this and it works wonders for stretching your back out and getting the pressure off.

http://www.spinedok.com/

I have to look into the spinedok. I do all the stretching I can that I learned from PT, but some days it's just not enough. This could be something that really works for me. Thanks for the link.

Spasms don't necessarily mean it's muscular-it could be nerves. I had a spinal fusion from a blown disc in May and 2 nerve bundles were impinged and they were and have been causing serious spasms while the nerves regenerate after surgery. I just got the all clear to golf again on Wednesday, but for the last few months I've been exercising with strength bands and a physio ball. The exercise has done wonders and my core and back is extremely strong and stable right now. Titleist Fitness Institute has some good online videos for stretching and some core workouts with the physio ball if anyone needs to know where to start.

Thanks for the tip. How do I get started?

Six years ago, I got diagnosed with a bulging disc R1/S1 (somewhere in that area) that has caused sciatic pain down my left side so severe, I ended up at the emergency room. It left my left little toe permanently numb (which now acts as a symptom. I know the disc area is flaring up because the numbness starts to work its way up left side of my foot towards my leg).

Anyway, the drugs got rid of the pain allowing me to see a physical theropist who provided some great relief through massage which enabled me to start PT suggested stretching. (At the time of the ER visit I was unable to touch my knees due to the pain and nerve inflamation). Today, I can easily touch my toes and on a good day, place my palms on the floor. HOW?

I now stretch at least 5 times a week and have managed to pretty much eliminate the pain. I play golf and basketball without issue.
I do two things to help in reducing the affects of my lower back pain:
1.) Stretching (Hip Flexors, Hamstrings, Quads, Calfs) I stretch everything but these body parts is what the PT suggested would keep the disc issue in check.

2.) Strong Core I work my core on a regular basis, using a ball.

Some other things I do (proactively), I always take a couple Advil before playing golf or basketball; I will ice/heat my lower back 1 or 2 times a week (during commute to work - 30min)
BUT I do agree with all the posters that stretching is key.

not sure what the "5 mg of the good stuff" is, but since my car accident in oct 2010, I have been in terrible amounts of pain, every day (some days are not all that bad). I have 500mg naproxen, which is really just a huge Aleve with none of the other stuff, and it does nothing for me. I also have 10mg Flexoril (muscle relaxer) and am allowed to take it 3 times a day, it really does not help much, so I avoid taking it, unless the pain is terrible (like today). I have tried Tylenol, and that also had little effect.

Good stuff = Vicodin. I've just been taking 500 mg of Tylenol when I need it. Works a lot better than anything else OTC for me.

This is a good video about 10 exercises for golf and back pain:

Good stuff = Vicodin. I've just been taking 500 mg of Tylenol when I need it. Works a lot better than anything else OTC for me.

gotcha. Glad it works for you.

This is a good video about 10 exercises for golf and back pain:

Video not quoted

Thank you for sharing this. I watched the first 8-10 mins, but being at work won't be able to get trough it till I get home. It looks though as this can help a lot of us out.

Thank you for sharing this. I watched the first 8-10 mins, but being at work won't be able to get trough it till I get home. It looks though as this can help a lot of us out.

Yeah there are some good exercises to do in there. I'll have to watch it at home again so I can hear it.

Beast mode from tapatalk

My lower back is acting up again. Very tight and painful. I can still swing but it hurts

Hey there THPer's! I consult the MayoClinic website often concerning health topics. Here is one of their links. Hope it helps!
I also struggle with nagging lower back pain from primarily age and the wear and tear of my years of playing sports and lifting weights.
Stretching and core work are my best suggestions in addition to just plain ole "taking care of yourself" when doing any lifting and/or twisting, such as, stretching before you play golf.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D

I'm coming off a back surgery, had a laminectomy at L4/L5 done in mid oct. I had some minor back issues before but in late aug I fell off a horse and slipped the disk so bad I could not stand up straight. We tried oral steroids, steroid injections, PT and chiropractor, nothing worked. Last option was surgery and it was immediate pain relief when they took the part of the disk out that was pinching off the nerve.

I was up and walking in the recovery room with only a little surgery pain but it was nothing compared to what I was going through presurgery. 6 weeks off work, a few months of post surgery PT and no golf or horses until spring, not bad really. And as has been said stretching and core strengthening are the number one things to help back pain.

Fusions are a different story and I'd avoid one at all cost but a little laminectomy to clean up with a good neurosurgeon saved a ton of pain and agony for me.

Hey there THPer's! I consult the MayoClinic website often concerning health topics. Here is one of their links. Hope it helps!
I also struggle with nagging lower back pain from primarily age and the wear and tear of my years of playing sports and lifting weights.
Stretching and core work are my best suggestions in addition to just plain ole "taking care of yourself" when doing any lifting and/or twisting, such as, stretching before you play golf.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D
Thanks for link-need to start on these. Back is tempermental.​

Here's a link to those looking into the Spinal Decompression side of things. www.spinalcarecanada.com It pretty well explains whats going on and why. When I did my first xrays I was about Stage 1, coupled with a pair of kinks first from the damaged left SI cartilage and the second where my back was trying to straiten itself back out.

Thanks for the tip. How do I get started?

Sorry I just now saw this. I just got a physio ball from wal-mart and a resistance band set from bodylastics.com that has everything you need in it. I do the golf specific training program associated with it it and add a few core workouts and back extensions using the physio ball along with some shoulder exercises. If you want the full routine PM me and I'd be glad to go over it. It really has helped me a ton.

I have had lower back issues for as long as I can remember. It flared up today, the worse it's been in years. I took some pain meds and they are dulling the pain but this is no way to live. I have to get my core strong again.

I'm coming off a back surgery, had a laminectomy at L4/L5 done in mid oct. I had some minor back issues before but in late aug I fell off a horse and slipped the disk so bad I could not stand up straight. We tried oral steroids, steroid injections, PT and chiropractor, nothing worked. Last option was surgery and it was immediate pain relief when they took the part of the disk out that was pinching off the nerve.

I was up and walking in the recovery room with only a little surgery pain but it was nothing compared to what I was going through presurgery. 6 weeks off work, a few months of post surgery PT and no golf or horses until spring, not bad really. And as has been said stretching and core strengthening are the number one things to help back pain.

Fusions are a different story and I'd avoid one at all cost but a little laminectomy to clean up with a good neurosurgeon saved a ton of pain and agony for me.

Exact same Discs that I have issues with. I'm on the oral steroids and steroid injections plan with accompanying PT right now. trying to avoid surgery mainly for the reasons you described (time off work, etc) but who knows. Glad it worked for you!!!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Exact same Discs that I have issues with. I'm on the oral steroids and steroid injections plan with accompanying PT right now. trying to avoid surgery mainly for the reasons you described (time off work, etc) but who knows. Glad it worked for you!!!

Thanks, surgery was my last choice too but it was affecting everyday life too much not to do it, then it was pretty amazing how fast I felt better. If you have any questions feel free to ask, hope the nonsurgical treatments work out for you though!

i have 3 disks that are bulged out from hockey, reason i had to quit. And can barley golf but i fight threw it because im not losing 2 of my favorite sports due to it. I wouldn't mind looking at those videos, thanks for putting them up

Kevin, Thank you so much for that video. my back has been feeling terribly tight these last few days, and all the stretching I learned in PT have not done much. The stretching (6:40 in the vid)with the heels on the golf club really loosened me up. I did it 2 times and a few others from the video, then once more, and am feeling much better than I have been today. I used a piece of a 1x4 instead of a golf club to get more lift under my heels.
I will be doing this daily along with my other stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back