Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Chunkyresponse: Tot Hill Farm. Got an email for a coupon for $32 for 18. The course is amazing and a beast. Would actually be great prep for the MC

Played there a couple weeks ago. We need to grab a round there together soon. Only an hour away from me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Man everyone can work on their game but me. Stupid winter. At least I can work on putts. Good job everyone. I'm starting to envy the work you guys can do.

Fear The Frog! Amphibians can Tapatalk.

Keep doing what you are doing bullfrog. It will pay big dividends down the line

Well, I had a good 90 minute range session and then worked on chipping for about 30 minutes and my group arrived, I really had worked on my mid irons and hybrids to try and get the GIR's up....but without real targets to hit at on the range it just isn't working...only hit 4 GIR's today.....had several that were GIR adjacent...LOL....within 10-15 feet of the putting surface.

My putter let me down today, I missed alot of 5 and 6 footers..probably because I didnt work on putting my last 2 practice sessions....anyway it was a beatiful day...winds were a little high 15-20mph.....shot 87...so not terrible...but not great either.

Okay, I went down and worked on 5' putts from every direction and angle I can do for an hour and a half. Even with a little hill that I can make with the shims I got. Focused on my stroke some more. Then did my workout. I'm starting to feel like the last month of working is starting to pay off. I see it in the mirror and feel it in my body. I'm gonna keep it up, maybe I can get the extra yardage off the tee that I am looking to get.

Last edited:
Okay, I went down and worked on 5' putts from every direction and angle I can do for an hour and a half. Even with a little hill that I can make with the shims I got. Focused on my stroke some more. Then did my workout. I'm starting to feel like the last month of working is starting to pay of. I see it in the mirror and feel it in my body. I'm gonna keep it up, maybe I can get the extra yardage off the tee that I am looking.

You'll get that and be a hell of a putter. I've seen how much you've been putting lately. It's gonna pay off for you big time.

Pretty looking course, Chunky. Have fun dude.

Chunkyresponse: Tot Hill Farm. Got an email for a coupon for $32 for 18. The course is amazing and a beast. Would actually be great prep for the MC

Dude I want to play THF so bad. In about a month when my new set is complete we should get a THP round going there.

Played 18 on a sim tonight to make up for missing my league on tuesday. The front 9 was ugly as I shot 43. That was mostly due to a quad on a par 5 with an OB and a water ball haha. The back 9 my swing felt good. I was definitely making much better contact and seemed to have good speed through the hitting zone. I bogeyed both par 3's on the back but posted a +1 37 for a round of 80. I take pretty much no stock in the scores on sims whatsoever. I do know that I was hitting the ball much better the last 10-12 holes than I was earlier in the night.

One thing Ive been trying to work on is my grip. Trying to go to an overlap grip instead of an interlock grip. When I grip a club at home its easy to use the overlap. When I get ready to hit a shot I have to remind myself. Many times I just grab the club and go back to my normal grip. So its a work in progress.

Played 18 on a sim tonight to make up for missing my league on tuesday. The front 9 was ugly as I shot 43. That was mostly due to a quad on a par 5 with an OB and a water ball haha. The back 9 my swing felt good. I was definitely making much better contact and seemed to have good speed through the hitting zone. I bogeyed both par 3's on the back but posted a +1 37 for a round of 80. I take pretty much no stock in the scores on sims whatsoever. I do know that I was hitting the ball much better the last 10-12 holes than I was earlier in the night.

One thing Ive been trying to work on is my grip. Trying to go to an overlap grip instead of an interlock grip. When I grip a club at home its easy to use the overlap. When I get ready to hit a shot I have to remind myself. Many times I just grab the club and go back to my normal grip. So its a work in progress.

I do that sometimes and always wind up interlocking again. I think grip pressure is far more important than grip style. Whenever I shoot bad my palms are sweaty and I have "Golf Pride" imprinted on my palm.

I have tried to change from interlock to overlap and just can't make myself do it...it just feels so weird...I have been interlock for ever.

Needed to blow off some steam, so I spent 45 minutes hitting balls. Maybe my best practice session since starting lessons today. Just tried to feel loose and not wrapped up in swing thoughts.

The work I've put into my putting has really been showing on the course. My last 2 rounds have been 25 and 29 putts. I feel really confident over putts now. I think it all has to do with the TM TR3 True Path. It's amazing what a proper stroke will do lol

I have tried to change from interlock to overlap and just can't make myself do it...it just feels so weird...I have been interlock for ever.

I switched from the interlock to the overlap this past season and it really helped eliminate a hook on my longer irons. I feel much more confident in my swing, but everyone has their preferences. It felt weird for the first few rounds but even though it was feeling weird I was hitting great shots so I stuck with it.

That's what I'm working on right now TBT. It's very difficult but I think I'm getting more comfortable with it.

More wind work today. It was 46 but pretty windy, probably 30 mph gusts and had to back off a few times. Starting to not mind the wind as much as I used to.

The work I've put into my putting has really been showing on the course. My last 2 rounds have been 25 and 29 putts. I feel really confident over putts now. I think it all has to do with the TM TR3 True Path. It's amazing what a proper stroke will do, now if I can only find the line... lol

There fixed it for you Capt. LOL I understand what you mean about putting coming together. Nice 2 putting rounds for you there. I can't wait to get out there and see if my practice is paying off. However, I will have a lot more practice by the time that comes. Worked on my stroke again today for about an hour. Tomorrow the same thing maybe work on distance too. Plus my workout.

Thanks Bullfrog!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Solid putting, Chunky!

Smalls, I'm jealous to see another Midwesterner playing right now. I don't know about you all, but I'm really enjoying the prep right now.

Solid putting, Chunky!

Smalls, I'm jealous to see another Midwesterner playing right now. I don't know about you all, but I'm really enjoying the prep right now.
I've played 4 of the last 5 days, and all next week is golf weather. I hope to play 3 days next week. A few of the days should give me some good wind practice.

We lost most of our snow, got a little back, and then lost a good chunk of it today. Either way, it will be another month before things get going at the earliest.

I drove down the coast today to meet up with a couple of buddies....we played a links style course right on the Gulf Of Mexico called Newport dunes, Arnold Palmer designed par 71 layout

http://www.newportdunesgolf.com/layout10.asp?id=190&page=4908

We played 36 holes, winds were 25-30mph all day...made for a rough round....one thing I learned today was that I need to get out and play more than just my home course...don't know if it was the wind or playing an unfamilar course but I really struggled today.

Shot 93 the first time around....and 87 the second.....pretty ugly mostly due to big numbers on 3-4 holes each round.....but a great course....would love to play it in normal winds during the summer.

The good news is my driver is working well, but I am still really struggling to hit GIR. I had 2 GIR's the first 18 and 4 the second....I hit several balls OOB today but mostly due to wind.

We played Match play both rounds and both of my buddies are single digit cappers.....I beat one 1 up and lost 3&4 to the other the first round...then lost 2&1 and 1up the second round....at least I held my own.

Range session and 18 holes tomorrow at my home course.

Just shy of two hours hitting balls today. My goal this week has been to make the things I've been working on something I don't think about at address so much. I figure that way I can just do them and move on to the next lesson. Hit 6 and 7 irons over and over again. Some drivers and various others as well.

Here's a quick shot of the swing. I think my instructor would tell me I wasted some energy going too far on the backswing, but in all, it's pretty good. A huge improvement from when I started.

Hawk,
Watching your swing now and where you have come in the last 3 years is astonishing.

Hawk,
Watching your swing now and where you have come in the last 3 years is astonishing.

I really appreciate that, dude. I can't tell you how glad I am that I decided to work on this over the winter.

Back