TaylorMade Releases R11S Driver Preview

What did you think about the shaft? I really liked it. Very sold for a stock shaft.

Beast mode from tapatalk

I thought it felt great! I am not really sure which shaft was in it. Is it still the Blur? I really only took about 4 swings with it. At that GG the employees hover like crazy.

nice write up.... glad to hear its a little more forgiving than the R11. i gotta get out to hit this soon.

I thought it felt great! I am not really sure which shaft was in it. Is it still the Blur? I really only took about 4 swings with it. At that GG the employees hover like crazy.

The shaft is the Aldila RIP Phenom. Such a strong shaft.

Great review Dozza. I also noticed the same thing as you with the stock Adilda shaft. I also have a pretty steep swing plane and this shaft was pretty nice. If it was at the price point of all the other new drivers instead of 100$ more, it would most certainly be at the top of my list. TM got this one right, that's for sure. I hit it again today and was very pleased with it. With all the settings on neutral I was hitting a slight baby draw, with a nice piercing ball flight.

Thats great to hear bud. The price point of the R11S over all the other drivers I tried was on par. If the TP Shafts worked even better than the stock Phenom, I would spend an extra $100 if it was going to improve my drives as much as this has. But honestly, I can't see them being worse, I just can't see them being so much better for the price.

The shaft is the Aldila RIP Phenom. Such a strong shaft.

Wow that is awesome. I have a RIP in my Razr Hawk and love it. I wonder what the difference with the Phenom and my shaft is.

I am so excited to hear that people are liking this driver and that the stock shaft is working well. It is killing me that I haven't been able to hit this yet!

Wow that is awesome. I have a RIP in my Razr Hawk and love it. I wonder what the difference with the Phenom and my shaft is.

Dmb, since you have the Hawk and have hit the R11S, can you compare the two? I'm really pondering the Hawk, I seem to hit it well, but I've also hit the R11S well. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Do you really need more adjustibility?

As I said in my first review a few pages back that the differences in adjustability isn't that massive over the R9. In saying that, having 3 different points of adjustability and using them very minimally (in my case) can have a tremendous effect. I can't really see people with a massive cut slice dialing it in with draw weighting bias, full draw FCT and completely closing the face with the ASP resulting in a straight beautiful drive. The adjustment options DOES NOT turn this driver into a magic wand... but it doesn't hurt you either.

It's simple really, the head an shaft combination is great to be used with all the settings in neutral if thats what you feel works best. You DON'T have to use the adjustability if it's not required. You will be left with a great driver that has a great shaft and head combo that is long with a great ball flight. This is not meant to sound harsh or an attack towards you, just incase it comes off that way. :)

Dmb, since you have the Hawk and have hit the R11S, can you compare the two? I'm really pondering the Hawk, I seem to hit it well, but I've also hit the R11S well. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I was only able to hit the R11S about 4 times. So I don't know a ton about it on the course and how it would be. I know I have been driving the best of my life with the Razr Hawk and I like the RIP Tour Shaft it has in it. I know some people have disliked the regular shaft, but I think the tour RIP is a great one. The only issue I have with it, is when I hold back. I tend to hook the ball when I do this. Yoccos and I have talked about this and I think it is the shaft not loading up. I really want to get my hands on the R11S in a simulator that works better. I might go over to Edwin Watts tomorrow, to try it out again. I thought the feel and head size of the R11S inspired confidence. I had some really nice ball flights with it, but I could not tell how the distances turned out due to the messed up simulator.

I found the Phenom to be quite a bit more stout then the RIP in the Hawk.

I found the Phenom to be quite a bit more stout then the RIP in the Hawk.

Did you have the regular Hawk or Tour?

One thing I wanted to mention about the Aussie's getting access to these drivers earlier is that they are in the peak of their Summer, whereas we're in the peak of our Winter. It would make sense for companies to get their product out over there b/c it makes sense based on the season.

Nice write up too dozza! I can't wait to hit this driver.

One thing I wanted to mention about the Aussie's getting access to these drivers earlier is that they are in the peak of their Summer, whereas we're in the peak of our Winter. It would make sense for companies to get their product out over there b/c it makes sense based on the season.

Plus have you seen those Aussie guys in Spartacus...

Plus have you seen those Aussie guys in Spartacus...

I have no idea what you're talking about. Did they have R11S drivers?

Dude you are going to love this thing. I think it is going to be great for your shaft testing too. I would like to see you put one of those new Matrix shafts in it. I think you would be able to crush a ball with it.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Did they have R11S drivers?

No they didnt play golf back then. They're just strapping young men. Tracy says Aussie guys are "hot"

Our shop just received the R11s setups for the fitting cart and the 6 of us who work there have gone through the options on the Trackman in order to better understand the driver characteristics for customers. Compared to the original R11, it is nominally more forgiving on misses, which may be because less spin is lost. Set up is nice - some liked the feel and others did not. None of us could touch the numbers of our current driver setups with the R11s however. We have cut our usual TM driver order in half based on these results and the bath we took on the R11.

Our shop just received the R11s setups for the fitting cart and the 6 of us who work there have gone through the options on the Trackman in order to better understand the driver characteristics for customers. Compared to the original R11, it is nominally more forgiving on misses, which may be because less spin is lost. Set up is nice - some liked the feel and others did not. None of us could touch the numbers of our current driver setups with the R11s however. We have cut our usual TM driver order in half based on these results and the bath we took on the R11.

What are most of the guys setups that could not be touched?

Your shop took a bath on the R11? My local Golf Galaxy sold them like crazy and still says its the best selling driver they have. Maybe you need better sales guys? I thought the white sold itself..:bulgy-eyes:

We sold quite a few but offered a 90% store credit within 90 days - almost 40% of them came back. This is not to say our shop's experience was universal but we are in Michigan and have been particularly hard hit by this economy. We needed to offer the refund just to get them off the shelf. Interestingly, we did the same with the Titleist 910 series and only 1 of those was returned. This year we are not making a similar offer unless the customer goes through a fitting.

Your shop took a bath on the R11? My local Golf Galaxy sold them like crazy and still says its the best selling driver they have. Maybe you need better sales guys? I thought the white sold itself..:bulgy-eyes:

We sold quite a few but offered a 90% store credit within 90 days - almost 40% of them came back. This is not to say our shop's experience was universal but we are in Michigan and have been particularly hard hit by this economy. We needed to offer the refund just to get them off the shelf. Interestingly, we did the same with the Titleist 910 series and only 1 of those was returned. This year we are not making a similar offer unless the customer goes through a fitting.

What type of numbers did you guys see out of the R11S when you did the the shaft testings?

Ive heard Michigan golf is struggling. Hopefully the R11s works out better for you.

Hard to generalize because among the 6 of us we have very different swings. What in particular are you looking for? If you want a comparison across the shafts offerings, we could change the launch angle only about 1* with different shafts and could change backspin by 600-800 rpms.

What type of numbers did you guys see out of the R11S when you did the the shaft testings?

Ouch! This is really surprising. Are you saying that the R11s is not as good as a number of other drivers? How many are better? Which ones?

Back